Hello From A Female Brewer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fancy

Reaction score
Hi,
I have begun home brewing and am enjoying it immensly.
I have only made the brews at "U Brew It" so far and when I am more confident I will tackle a REAL home brew here at home. So far I have made a Canadian Pilsener, Nut Brown Ale and something similar to Stella Artois. I used my own stubbies and the last batch I used cans which I didn't like at all so back to the bottles. I am also setting up a keg system. 18 litre kegs in a fridge running to a font (James Squire 2 tap copper kettle) with glycol lines so I will have 2 different brews. I will probably run 4 kegs at this stage. I am in the middle of getting my bar built, I have just had someone build me a frame and put a slab on which I am currently still sanding and varnishing. It is 3.2m x 2.3 m with a georgous Rose Gum slab. It is all in my shed. I would love to learn about hops so I hope to talk with some people here who are willing to share their knowledge. I am also going to have a bit of fun making my own beer labels so when my bar is finished I will post pics. I am aiming for it to be up and running in about 3 weeks :icon_chickcheers:
Cheers
fancy
:p

P.S.
Just curious...
Are their any other female brewers around?

Hi,
I have only made the brews at "U Brew It" so far and when I am more confident I will tackle a REAL home brew here at home. So far I have made a Canadian Pilsener, Nut Brown Ale and something similar to Stella Artois. I used my own stubbies and the last batch I used cans which I didn't like at all so back to the bottles. I am also setting up a keg system. 18 litre kegs in a fridge running to a font (James Squire 2 tap copper kettle) with glycol lines so I will have 2 different brews. I will probably run 4 kegs at this stage. I am in the middle of getting my bar built, I have just had someone build me a frame and put a slab on which I am currently still sanding and varnishing. It is 3.2m x 2.3 m with a georgous Rose Gum slab. It is all in my shed. I would love to learn about hops so I hope to talk with some people here who are willing to share their knowledge. I am also going to have a bit of fun making my own beer labels so when my bar is finished I will post pics. I am aiming for it to be up and running in about 3 weeks :icon_chickcheers:
Cheers
fancy
:p

P.S.
Just curious...
Are their any other female brewers around?

Welcome to the forum, there are a quite a few female brewsters, Katie is one who is on pretty often ( Incider might be female but nobody really sure :huh: ), hope the bar build goes well .

The more the merrier I'd say, but please don't use that lila/ magenta font LOL
(sorry you can use any font you like)
Those U-brew-it places are very hush hush with what hops yeast and malt they use.
Go and look in the RecipeDB Here
At work ATM and little time for search but some one posted a great excel-sheet not too long ago of all hop variants and their applicability and flavour characters they possess.

Best way to learn is to do full boils while you are brewing.

I'd suggest you get yourself a large cook pot at Big W and start with partial recipes and get some some hop.

As long as your specific Gravity in the kettle is around 1.030+ and there is plenty of room for a rolling boil you can achieve great results just brewing extract and steeping grains.
It beat kits by a long shot and gives you more control.

Matti

Welcome aboard Fancy

There's also a world of good home brewing books and a couple of good magazines available that can give you the lowdown on malts and hops. I like John Palmers "How to Brew" for a beginners book and Ray Daniels' "Designing Great Beer" for more advanced ideas. They are both pretty widely available.

cheers

grant

Welcome Fancy,

I wish my partner was as excited as you about Home Brewing.. :unsure:

I have made a Canadian Pilsener, Nut Brown Ale and something similar to Stella Artois.

Hey Fancy, Yes plenty of females around, although hiding behind these pseudonyms you'd never know it.
The main thing with brewing is.... brew exactly what YOU like. :D

I happen to love wheat beers so I am perfecting that, I tweak and change a thing here and there searching for the perfect wheat.
I also happen to like commercial Miller Genuine Draft - so I'm working on perfecting an American Premium Lager. Low in Hoppy taste/bitterness, Light, Golden but with body - not weak and watery.

So if there are commercial beers YOU like (be stuffed what anyone else thinks of your choice) then you set out to learn what's in them.

I would love to learn about hops so I hope to talk with some people here who are willing to share their knowledge.

I'm quite the Hop and Yeast queen (errr that should read drama queen) and I have made up excel spreadsheets identifying hops and what beers or beer styles they suit.
Same with Yeast.

Then I look at retail beers or beer recipes and the light goes off and I say... that's why it tastes like this or that and you can try to emulate it.

You won't learn all this in a hurry. It will be a series of steps and each time you will look back and say... wasn't I a newbie back then... hahhaa

I'm still learning - every day some little light bulb goes off.

I am also going to have a bit of fun making my own beer labels s

Yes well that's our artistic nature coming out.
I see brewing as this micro management project... I have forms, hop and yeast culture inventories for the beginning of the process and I make labels for the beer fridge & bottles at the end of the process.
I have resisted the urge to make place cards around the bar, or crochet bar mats however HAHAHAHAA

So to sum up, it's a steep (but very enjoyable) learning curve.
Beware of recipes until you learn a little about - things like IBU's as one "mans" tastes may be so bitter it will leave you breathless.
And know that 'tastes' are the strangest thing to verbalize!
When I say something has a medicine taste - my husband says it has a cardboard taste - so based on that "scientific" data it's tough to copy someone else and rave about the exact same things. (not impossible but I don't want you to be disappointed if it doesn't rock you socks the way it did him or me. :) so be prepared to drink your mistakes and move on.

GO with YOUR taste buds and enjoy

Happy Brewing
The Bluedog

Hi,
I have only made the brews at "U Brew It" so far and when I am more confident I will tackle a REAL home brew here at home. So far I have made a Canadian Pilsener, Nut Brown Ale and something similar to Stella Artois.

Hi fancy, welcome to the hobby,

"Begun home brewing"!!!

I think you would have made a great first Australian settler, looking at what needs to be done and blazing away to achieve it, great work.
Seems that you've done a lot of quality research and applied a lot of thought to what you've already done. Good to see you have a interest in a variety of quality beer styles and what ingredients and equipment you'll need.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures of the shed & bar setup :icon_cheers:

Welcome to the forum, there are a quite a few female brewsters, Katie is one who is on pretty often ( Incider might be female but nobody really sure :huh: ), hope the bar build goes well .

barbra_081.jpg

You saying he's litte a different?

A good place to 'browse' hops is to to to the Craftbrewer Site (Link at top of page) and have a look at the hops section where they have a description of each hop and its alpha acid rating (the amount of bittering provided by that particular hop). Makes good, mouthwatering reading :icon_drool2: . Also Wikepedia has a good hops article and lists a lot of the popular varieties, and what they are like.

Homebrewing sure beats the shite out of crap.., sorry ....scrapbooking

Welcome aboard Fancy

There's also a world of good home brewing books and a couple of good magazines available that can give you the lowdown on malts and hops. I like John Palmers "How to Brew" for a beginners book and Ray Daniels' "Designing Great Beer" for more advanced ideas. They are both pretty widely available.

cheers

grant

Welcome aboard indeed.

How to Brew can also be read for free online...
[post="0"]http://www.howtobrew.com/[/post]

Cheers!

Welcome aboard indeed.

How to Brew can also be read for free online...
[post="0"]http://www.howtobrew.com/[/post]

Cheers!

The 1st edition can be read online, the print version is now the third edition and is great to have in print.
Mind you I still go to the online version for some cut n pastes.

Wow, thanks everyone for the very warm welcome...

matti
The more the merrier I'd say, but please don't use that lila/ magenta font LOL
(sorry you can use any font you like)
Ok, I will use dusty pink just for you :p

At work ATM and little time for search but some one posted a great excel-sheet not too long ago of all hop variants and their applicability and flavour characters they possess.
From reading this thread, I think it may be bluedog?

Bluedog
When I say something has a medicine taste - my husband says it has a cardboard taste - so based on that "scientific" data it's tough to copy someone else and rave about the exact same things. (not impossible but I don't want you to be disappointed if it doesn't rock you socks the way it did him or me. :) so be prepared to drink your mistakes and move on.

I am sure I will end up with plenty of experiences of this :wacko:
I love your dog, I also have a bluey.

Batz, Is that a pic of Incider??
if so, she sure is preddy ;)

Thank you very much to anyone who has put a link in for me to check out. I have so much to read, who knew homework could be this much fun. I am off to sand and varnish another coat on my bar.

Batz, Is that a pic of Incider??
if so, she sure is preddy ;)

I am afraid so

He's our little possum :lol:

barbra_032.jpg

He likes inflatable sheep as well.

Welcome to the forum fancy,POL is another female brewer who been on the site since it began.
You will find us a merry lot,or gay as far as you know who goes.

Batz

Welcome fancy, there are some awesome female brewers here on AHB, best to let them intro themselves rather than dob in a pseudonym. Hang around the forum and you will get to meet them, one frequents the "Stairway to Heaven" brew rig, maybe try a search ;)

Cheers,

Screwy

And just what is wrong with liking inflatable sheep :ph34r:

Welcome Fancy, and happy brewing :beer:

That wouldn't happen to be a "Love Ewe" would it?

It's Bar Braa
She's the Brewerhood mascot.
Never would a brewerhood meeting pass without Bar Braa
in attendance.You would not believe the mischief she get up too.

Batz

Back