Hefeweizen Carbonation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonY

The Imperial Metric Brewery
Reaction score
I have 2 kegs of Hefeweizen on gas at the moment, they have spent the past week @100kpa at around 2degC. Now this is my standard carbonation and I know wheat beers have a higher carbonation. After sampling it definately needs some more gas.

A quick google gives a number of results ranging from 3 - 4.5 volumes of CO2 ....and tasty brew have a carbonation calculator which seems to spit out about 175kPa! I am a bit worried that this may be too much? :unsure:

What do you guys carbonate at for this style?

I'd aim for just above 3 Vol's of CO2 to start with...

From my calcs & based on a serving temp of about 5 deg, your keg pressure should be ~130kpa...

Slightly less (more like 110kpa keg pressure) if your serving wheat flavoured ice cream & 2 degrees!!!

Asher for now

JasonY said:
I have 2 kegs of Hefeweizen on gas at the moment, they have spent the past week @100kpa at around 2degC. Now this is my standard carbonation and I know wheat beers have a higher carbonation. After sampling it definately needs some more gas.
What do you guys carbonate at for this style?
[post="37646"][/post]​

Asher said:
I'd aim for just above 3 Vol's of CO2 to start with...
From my calcs & based on a serving temp of about 5 deg, your keg pressure should be ~130kpa...
[post="37652"][/post]​

Hi JasonY
How did your weizen carbonation go, did you try Ashers suggestion?
I am just about to keg mine (a few months late for the WCB comp!) for a party on the weekend and was a bit uncertain about overgassing it. Do you have one of those flow restrictors in your serving line?

PS i'm still waiting for the kegs shouldn't be much longer now.

Cheers Ausdb

I work at an establishment that has Erdinger Wiessebier on tap. When i started we had problems with the carbonation of Erdinger. (too fizzy). Got on the Erdinger web site and found this
Erdinger Web Site - Draft Brewing Concept

Interestingly they suggest inverting the kegs before use (ie. while in storage) to more evenly distribute the fine yeast.

Also they reccomend using a blend(aligal 13) which is 70% nitrogen , 30% carbon dioxide.

On this page is also reccomended gassing pressures.

Using these two suggestions we have substantially increased the quality of our draft Erdinger.

Do not know whether this will help you or not but it is a good starting place.

p.s To anyone inverting 55-60kg kegs PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU ARE DOING.
I learnt this the hard way by droping a keg on my finger. Still got the scar tissue 7 months later!

ausdb said:
How did your weizen carbonation go, did you try Ashers suggestion?
I am just about to keg mine (a few months late for the WCB comp!) for a party on the weekend and was a bit uncertain about overgassing it. Do you have one of those flow restrictors in your serving line?

PS i'm still waiting for the kegs shouldn't be much longer now.

Yep ended up settling on 130kpa @ 5degC and it turned out very nice. Unfortuantely these two kegs are long gone :( I do have the inline flow restrictors which make it nice and easy to get the pouring right. If you end up storing the kegs for a long time then I can see a shake getting the yeast back into suspension but these went down to a park for a work piss up and we well shaken :D

Hope those kegs hurry up I have a gathering to atten on the 22nd and a 10L keg would be very handy ... heres hoping they show up this week :)

Jason check your PM the kegs are in!

Reedpacer that is very good info especially the carbonation/pressure chart

Cheers to bubbly wiezen!

Ausdb

Latest posts

Back