Hefeweizen brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homebrewbanga

Reaction score
Hi all so I am going to put down a hefe wheat beer nothing to challenging have a few questions about what I want to do so here it is.

Ingredients:
1x coopers hefe wheat can
1x 1kg liquid wheat malt
150g flaked oats
150g wheat grains
WB-06 yeast

Was going to boil 2L water and when at 70c steep grain and oats for 20 min, do I need to boil steeped mixture before adding to FV with wheat can and malt? Or should I add malt to steeped liquid before adding to FV?
Also should I add anymore fermentables to mixture or should this be enough?

There is really little point in using Flaked Oats or Wheat unless you are mashing!
You might as well dump a couple of cupsful of breakfast oats into the fermenter.
You probably need at least 4 times as much base malt as flake (in this case ~1.2kg) to supply the enzymes to convert the Glucans and starch, ideally you would do a Glucan/Protein rest around 45oC for 15-30 minutes, then heat gently to 65oC and hold it there for an hour (could do a hot/boiling water addition), then strain or filter and boil the extract for at least 15 minutes (google up Mini Mash).
Just adding the flake to the fermenter will make the beer very cloudy and pretty gluey (Heff is yeast, Hefeweizen literally Yeasty Wheat - not cloudy wheat - the cloudiness comes from the yeast).
Mark

So to get any real benefit from the grain and oat I should up the quantities otherwise not really going to add any extra flavour profile with those amounts?
And also do a mini mash
Andy

Latest posts

Back