Heat belts , heat pads or other sources -what's best

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unclestewbrew

Reaction score
Hi fellas ,
Had my fridge up and running with a temp controller now for a couple of months and I couldn't be happier with the ease of the whole process
With the weather starting to cool , I was wondering what is the best heating source to add.
I've heard good things about a reptile heat cord , I can get one of these for around $30 from petbarn

Wouldn't mind other more experienced brewers opinions on what's best when it comes to warming

BTW I mainly brew ales ,

Cheers in advance
Stu

I use a reptilian heating globe.

_004.jpg

i am using a small decommisioned fridge holds a 30 litre fermenter,i am using the lampholder in the fridge with a 25watt globe connected to a thermostat.works ok me.

.PS i put a old t-shirt over the fermenter also

Is there a concern with the reptile cord coming into contact with the fridge surfaces BJB ?

What's the globe worth panzerd18 and is any other gear required to get it up and running ?

Cheers

i have a 240v computer fan inside my fridge, i have this directly off the 240v supply to my temp controller so that it is constantly on, which they are designed for.

the heat generated by the fan is nice and gentle and you are even able to brew around the 30 degree mark if saison is your game, plus the air circulation keeps the whole fridge at the same temp, no difference between top and bottom

Unclestewbrew said:
What's the globe worth panzerd18 and is any other gear required to get it up and running ?

Cheers

All you need.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ceramic-Lamp-Holder-Heat-Emitter-Set-Pet-Reptile-Snake-Heating-Bird-Brooder-/281394274966?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&var=&hash=item418467e296

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Digital-Thermostat-for-Reptile-Incubator-Heat-Lamp-2000W-220-240v-/181704539951?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2a4e6f3f2f

Keep in mind it comes with a US plug, you need an adapter. My cheapo temp controller takes US plugs so its perfect for me as does the one linked.

EDIT

I just realised that you need it while fermenting.

I use a heating belt wrapped around fermenter while fermenting.

I use the reptile globe for bottle conditioning at the correct temperature.

If you just want to heat the inside cavity of the fridge then I find the globe to be the best, but the belt is great as its in direct contact with the fermenter.

i prefer the heat belt option - measure temp from and apply heat to the fermenter only. why bother heating up all that fridge space if you don't need to?

SergeMarx said:
i prefer the heat belt option - measure temp from and apply heat to the fermenter only. why bother heating up all that fridge space if you don't need to?
haha that's a good point! my setup is terribly energy inefficient :)

Unclestewbrew said:
Is there a concern with the reptile cord coming into contact with the fridge surfaces BJB ?

Cheers
Not at all, if you hold the cord it is just warm. I have used lamps and a pad before, IMHO the cord wins hands down.
I did notice it smelled a bit (plasticy) the first time I used it, the next one (I have two) I turned on out of the fridge for a couple of days.
My opinion only mate, we all have our own favorites. Best of luck with it .

I have rigged up a 40watt light on a piece of timber that is jammed across the top of my Tuckerbox freezer, seems to work fine, as stated before, just use the existing light that's in place

Just ordered one of the heat cords, but my existing setup is a lava lamp base (40w) that sits under the shelf in the ferm fridge.

I use a heat belt inside my ferm fridge. It works great but I am looking for something else as I dont trust it. If you plug it in and hold it in your hands after a while it gets to hot to handle so I dont trust it in direct contact with my fermenter/beer. It does need some kind of heat sink though. I have tried it around a cube with a bit of water in it and that works great but I need the cube space.

Now I have it wrapped around the inside of the fridge in the groove where the shelves went which works perfectly. Not to harsh but quick enough. However I have noticed that the plastic on the inside of the fridge where the belt is has turned yellow and it going a bit brittle. I might give the ceramic lamp a go.

Infrared ceramic heat lamp.

I looked into all options before buying and this made the most sense to me.

Electric fan heaters, like the kind you put under your desk to keep you warm in winter are dangerous if they get wet.

Heat belts or pads, when in direct contact with your fermenter will heat the contact points more so than other devices - creating an uneven temperature. You're better off heating the ambient air.

Ceramic infrared heat lamps don't emit any damaging light rays. They heat the ambient space. Mine came with a clip, that I can clip onto the fridge door - making it safe. Buy a low wattage version, so you don't overshoot your intended temp target. They are also relatively inexpensive.

Isn't the only bad spectrum ultra violet?

Agree about heating ambient, much more gentle a manner of heat. I personally use heat pads in the fridge door.

Back