heat belt and temp control unit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaymzica

Reaction score
Ok im keen to keep a good temp in the fermenter now with the colder months.
I just have it in my laundry at the monent and dont know if i can be bothered doing an old fridge setup with controler plus i have no idea how to wire things up.

so i thought this might be the go?

heat belt and temp controler.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Home-Brew-Beer-Heat-Heater-Heating-Belt-Pad-for-Wine-Spirits-Fermenter-Homebrew-/290905307597?pt=AU_Barware&hash=item43bb4eb9cd

any thoughts? or should i just get an old fridge and try and figure out how to hook the ST 1000 up?

cheer Jimmy

I find that down here on the bellarine peninsula my biggest issue with fermentation temp. is trying to cool during active fermentation, even during winter. My ferm. fridge is out in my garage and it does get cold in there over winter but during active fermentation it still get's the fridge working. You can by prewired temp controllers, the keg king ones work fine, bit more pricey though. If you can find room for a fridge it's certainly the way to go to keep your temps really solid.

There are some brewers that dont like using them as they may cause localised hot spots in your wort. Certainly during active fermentation the CO2 will stir the wort up a bit so not as much of a problem.

(Not saying I agree either way as ive never used one)

But even if you do use a heat belt it will be better if you can insulate the fermenter say in a cupboard inside to keep the heat in.
Those temp controllers are the same price as an STC1000 but not sure how reliable or accurate they are. STC1000's seem to be both accurate and reliable with very few failing.

That would be my only concern, that you buy one of these and it fails a few months later then you have to go and buy an stc1000.

Where abouts in Melbourne are you?

hmmm ok i might just get an old fridge and keep it in the laundry with the fermenter in it. The house is at least 20 deg during the day and at night till 10 then laundry drops to 10 in some colder nights.

I use something similar, and ferment in willow 20L jerry cans.

Just check the dimensions of the internals before you commit.

JD

yeah i called them, ill re measure and go look on sunday

i know mikec, but i have a 3 yo 270lt beer fridge in the garage so i dont want a working one lol
my garage fridge is almost as good as my kitchen one!

Mate, seriously, if you're going to get a fridge, get the stc-1000. Even if you need to pay someone a few dollars to wire it up for you, or get one pre-made, it's well worth the money.

I procrastinated for months before getting one, and wish I'd done it months earlier. If you're going to be serious about your brewing, or just want to make life easier, it's the only way to go.

Jamzica, I use a fridge with a heater belt and a stc1000. It works really well. It means lagers are possible. Just tape the sensor to the side of the fermenter with a stubby holder insulating the sensor. Wrap the belt around below that and you are set. With good temperature control you should also find your beers will ferment out a little better too.

ok blokes. thanks again for fantastic advice, ill get the fridgem then an STC 1000 and pay a bloke to wire it up.

jaymzica said:
i know mikec, but i have a 3 yo 270lt beer fridge in the garage so i dont want a working one lol
my garage fridge is almost as good as my kitchen one!
If you go for a fridge +100 for getting a working one. You will find it is not on very much at all to maintain temp over the course of the year, will cost bugger all.

If the fridge is broken, the stc-1000 won't make it work.

The STC will detect the temperature and turn on either a source of heat (your heat belt for example) or the fridge depending on whether it needs to cool or heat. You'll be able to use your fridge to heat with a heat belt but not to cool.

"pay a bloke"...they're very hard words to say aren't they? :lol: You won't regret it though.

What fermenter are you using? If it's the new Coopers one, it's really easy to put the (sanitised) probe directly into the beer.

wbosher said:
"pay a bloke"...they're very hard words to say aren't they? :lol: You won't regret it though.

What fermenter are you using? If it's the new Coopers one, it's really easy to put the (sanitised) probe directly into the beer.
if I knew how to post a link I would. I wired up an stc1000 and if I can do it anyone can. you could wire it and get a fridgey to check it out?

Easy enough to wire up, but if he's not confident, just let someone else do it.

Probably will cost not much more to get someone to check it, as it would to get them to wire it. Only a 10 minute job for someone who knows what they're doing.

OK IM SO confused. I thought the fridge was good for insulation and keeping a reg temp for fermentation. Then i need to get a heat belt and hook that up to the STC1000 and leave it in the fridge (the fridge is not plugged in)

is this correct?
or do i need a working fridge that cools like normal?

btw, i have sparky mates. ill give the wiring a go though.

Latest posts

Back