Healthy or violent ferment?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mckenry

Brummagem
Reaction score
Hey All,
So I've changed up a couple of techniques recently making it hard to point the finger at one thing or another. I've started fermenting in a 50L keg (40L batches) and bought an oxygenation kit from MHB. I also note that I was using yeastcalc before which was calculating incorrectly and therefore I was underpitching.
I chilled the brew into the 50L keg which got down to 28, then let the fridge do the rest overnight. I pump a little CO2 in prior to letting it chill the rest.
So this ferment for an English IPA has a proper (I hope) starter size from a whitelabs burton ale strain and 2 minutes oxygenation. It's going crazy quickly at 19.5C. I guess I want to know if this kind of ferment is normal when oxygenating properly or whether it's due to proper cell count or just the strain?
I've seen this kind of ferment when the temp got away from me and it was approaching 30, but this is nice and controlled temp.
Hopefully this video
View attachment trim.357FD187-1FA0-4089-9039-C885D7C01B1A.MOV

Never used the burton ale strain before but looks like a normal ferment to me. It's probably a combination of the both a healthy sized pitch and correct oxygenation. When I first started using the oxygen I noticed a huge difference in fermentation. First was it hit FG within the 5 days where it used to take 7 or 8 and the second difference was it attentuated as predicted where as previously I was always falling short by a few points.

Keep the yeast happy and they'll keep you happy.

I use oxygen and always pitch a healthy starter and most ferments are like what you are seeing. I agree with midnight, it is probably a combination of the two making for happy healthy ferment.

looks good. other than going to grain Oxygen was the best thing I did for my beer.

Can't open your file as I'm on the phone but I put down an English IPA on Sunday using a big healthy Burton ale starter and also oxygenating for a couple of minutes. I was unsure what to expect from this yeast so ran a blowoff tube into some starsan. Less than 24 hours later it had a 3" krausen and this morning was trying to get out. From outside it sounds like there's a bonghead hiding in my fridge.

Midnight Brew said:
Never used the burton ale strain before but looks like a normal ferment to me. It's probably a combination of the both a healthy sized pitch and correct oxygenation. When I first started using the oxygen I noticed a huge difference in fermentation. First was it hit FG within the 5 days where it used to take 7 or 8 and the second difference was it attentuated as predicted where as previously I was always falling short by a few points.

Keep the yeast happy and they'll keep you happy.
Normal? Thats F'n amazing at 19° Whereas when I was just shaking the fermenter or beating it with a spoon, at the height of the ferment I would get maybe 3 or 4 bubbles per second. This would seriously be 30 or 40 - ten times that!
I realise / hoped its all good, as its being temp controlled, just NEVER seen anything like it.
Its like my first wife ripping into me when I got home late.

Here is the full 16 seconds on . Still think its normal?

Last edited by a moderator:
I got home tonight to find the yeast overflowing into the blowoff. Took a gravity reading and it's already at 1014. Active starter was pitched on Sunday night with an OG of 1060 fermented @ 18*C. What a beast!

20140422_200352.jpg

As a follow up, this had stopped bubbling already this morning, after such violence yesterday and is at 1.012. D-resting now. Impressed so far. Hydro sample is good too.

Latest posts

Back