Headset(s) Not Working, Speakers Work Fine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drsmurto

Reaction score
Any techno whizz kids/gents/ladies out there who can solve this dilemma for me?

I consider myself ok with a computer but this has got me stuffed.

Finally got broadband, now trying to use skype to chat to friends etc but have come up against a wall that i am repeatedly banging my head against.

Tried to connect up the headset and skype keeps telling me volume is too low.

Went back to basics - played some sounds via my speakers, fine. Plug in the headset in every combination possible and nothing.

Tried using FILs headset which i know works fine on his computer and nothing.

Before i start kicking thge computer can someone help me out. I know i am overlooking somehting so simple i will be giving myself a nice big headslap when i hear it but for now i feel like a complete computer noob.

I assume there is a setting i havent found?

Start with elimination. Does the headphones out work in other applications? If so then Skype could well be your problem. If not check that your headphones aren't muted in your mixer settings.

I'm not familiar with Skype so I can't help you with that if that's the problem but it is on my Mrs' computer so I can have a look at it for you if you can't get it sorted. She's on Mac though so it might not be much help anyway.

Yeah, you might need to explain the headset a bit further. I'm guessing it's a standard 3.5mm (diameter) plug like you'll see on most types of headphones. Is there a second, separate plug for the in built microphone or is there only a single plug?

Also - with the "headset problem" can you:
- hear the caller but they can't hear you
- be heard by the caller but cannot hear them, or
- hear nothing, and the caller hears nothing...

Finally, does the computer have an in-built mic or do you have to rely totally on the headset?

Start with elimination. Does the headphones out work in other applications? If so then Skype could well be your problem. If not check that your headphones aren't muted in your mixer settings.

I'm not familiar with Skype so I can't help you with that if that's the problem but it is on my Mrs' computer so I can have a look at it for you if you can't get it sorted. She's on Mac though so it might not be much help anyway.

Yeah, you might need to explain the headset a bit further. I'm guessing it's a standard 3.5mm (diameter) plug like you'll see on most types of headphones. Is there a second, separate plug for the in built microphone or is there only a single plug?

Also - with the "headset problem" can you:
- hear the caller but they can't hear you
- be heard by the caller but cannot hear them, or
- hear nothing, and the caller hears nothing...

Finally, does the computer have an in-built mic or do you have to rely totally on the headset?

Headset doesnt work for normal sounds, music, games. Hell, i even tried pressing the wrong buttons to make the computer beep at me. Nada. Both sets.

In skype i cant hear them and they cant hear me.

And both sets work on my FILs computer fine.

Its a 2 plug setup - 1 microphone, 1 speaker. I have tried every combo to see if i am plugging it on wrong. No luck.

Tried the mute box in the audio settings as well as the mic boost box. Unchecked and checked. Still nothing.

If i didnt know both sets worked and belonged to my FIL they would be in the fire by now.....

Is there something in the BIOS i should be looking at? The sound card seems to work fine.

Dunno about a built in mic, i tried the recording playback test and got nothing so i assume thats a negative.

The language that has come out of my mouth this evening would make a whore blush.....

What the hell is a FILs headset. You lost me at the first post.

Combined headsets have a plug for the audio and another plug for the mic.

If you swap the speaker plug for the headphone plug and hear nothing from the headphones either the headset is stuffed or the wrong impedance.

You can use Skype with speakers and a mike if the speakers work O.K. just mask the mike from feedback.

PS I don't use skype but have heard it can be a little bit tricky to set up.

Don't mess with the bios! First things first, you need to find out which chink in the chain isn't working for you. Start with the hardware and work your way back.

I would be inclined to first make sure the headphones part of the headset works. Do you have something like an ipod or even your TV where you can plug in the headset to the headphone port to make sure they're working? Likewise, a pair of iphone earbuds should play computer sounds when hooked up to the headphone port of the PC.

Laptop or desktop PC?
In most laptops, the speakers usually cut out when the headphones are plugged in. If the sound doesn't stop playing through the speakers when the headphones are plugged in, that may indicate they should be plugged in somewhere else. If you have a desktop with separate speakers, you may need to unplug the speakers to plug in the headphone part of the headset.

Software possibilities
If you're using windows, you should have a "Volume" control in the bottom right corner of the screen, near the clock. Double click this. You should be presented with a number of sliders. Make sure microphone, for the moment, is not muted and the slider is all the way up.

Next, go to the "Options" menu and click "Properties". Then choose adjust volume for Recording and click okay. You will be presented with a different (but very similar looking) set of sliders for recording. "Microphone" will need to be ticked "select" and all the way up.... The hidden "Recording" sliders have got me a few times.

That playing around may not fix your problem but should give you a start. And will at least help eliminate a few possibilities.

If you don't resolve you may wish to work out the following before coming back to us here:
- Desktop or Laptop
- Windows (XP?, Vista?) or Mac?
- If you call someone in Skype, and don't try to use the headset you should still be able to hear the other person speaking through the computer speakers. They probably won't be able to hear you. Is this the case?

^+1 to basically all of it.

Also look in the software interface for the soundcard itself for all of the above (if applicable). Just un-mute everything and see if that sorts it out. It really is looking like it might be one of those problems where you need to be looking at it to sort it out.

Does your soundcard use profiles (or similar)? You may have to select something like a headset mode.

Have you turned the speakers off? For my computer, if the speakers are turned on, the headphones don't work.

CHeck windows volume control, you probably have line in set to a really low figure. alsom make sure fi there are any motherboard software controlling your sound device, these are also set as high as they can go for the line in and its actually detecting your MIC as a line in device. (some MB software can force an input jack to staticly assign itself as a subwoofer port, stereo, left speaker etc.)

What the hell is a FILs headset. You lost me at the first post.

FIL = Father in law. Whilst he techincally isnt, its easier than constantly saying my partners father

Cheers for all the responses, I've been through everything i see as logicval which pretty much covers everything you have suggested.

Both headsets work on a different computer so ergo, it aint the headsets. My "FIL' uses them for skype, gave me his spare set.

Checked volume settings. Every single setting i could find, all 12+ of them!

I initially assumed it was me being new to skype and not setting up the volumes/headsets in that but the fact i cant hear anything thru them when playing music, games etc has me faaaarked. The logical conclusion is the headsets arent working but when i plug them into another computer, they work fine!

Will open up the box tonight and see if there is anything thats been disconnected. Thsi comoputer was used for skype previouilsy, it belonged to my 'SIL'......

Its times like these i am glad i am a scientist and dfont work in IT. The fact i want to burn the headsets and go at the computer with an axe shows i have no patience for this shite........

Happy thoughts, happy thoughts......

G'day Smurto

Just came across this and you may have the problem solved by now. However if you haven't thrown your headset out and your computer is still in one piece for what it is worth try recording some speech on your mike and if your software has a mixer facility should show you some sort of wave form or volume peaks as in a graphic equalizer. If not try another mike and/or delete audio software and reinstall as it might be corrupt. If your mike, lead, and connection is ok then your audio card might be U/s so if you haven't got a spare, beg borrow or steal another one that is known to work. If all is well you should be able to play back recording and that would clear the microphone input and card as well as software functioning as it should . As far as Skype goes it is a comm. program that I tried a few years back and got it working sorta but being on dialup at the time it wasn't very satisfactory so I canned it and haven't bothered since. On B/band it would work well.
If you have a logical mind, you need to troubleshoot from the start and clear each phase of operation in sequence until you hit on the problem. Now I shouldn't have to tell you that so just keep your cool and if all else fails get a second opinion I was never embarassed to do so. I have been embroiled in video and audio problems with computers years ago and spent hours sometimes to get a result and tried to avoid them like the plague.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

Got it working only last weekend.

Had my 'FIL' around and he opened up the case and discovered a few of the plugs weren't connected.

He also discovered the mic on the headset works but not the headphone bit so i now talk thru the headset and listen thru the speakers. Not ideal but will tide me over till i get a new set.

All the settings i had played with were fine. Altho somehow he managed to get the sound recorder to detect his voice whereas i couldnt.

Only other issue is that my broadband is 512K which isnt ideal for skype. Conversations are painful but at this stage i am not coughing up the extra $20/month to upgrade my service just for skype.

Only other issue is that my broadband is 512K which isnt ideal for skype. Conversations are painful but at this stage i am not coughing up the extra $20/month to upgrade my service just for skype.

512k isnt ideal but should be ok.. best thing is to not browse or have any itnernet applications running in the background whilst making phonecalls via skype. the ideal solution would be to have some port forwarding or preferrably 802.1p QoS marking for your voice traffic but that would require a Voice ATA which you are not currently using.

Back