Head Retention

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ross, if yours is breakfast cereal, it may well be a lot more puffy than the TF torrified wheat.

I'd put money on it - 250 gms to a fairly large cereal box :rolleyes:

But as long as it works....

Ross said:
I'd put money on it - 250 gms to a fairly large cereal box :rolleyes:

But as long as it works....
[post="48312"][/post]​

Let us know the outcome and how you used it Ross.
(I used to go fishing at Carbrook. whilst you came here to launch your boat...)

:chug:

dicko said:
I note from some of you previous posts that you are a fan of English bitters and I have noticed that Torrified Wheat appears in a lot of those styles in recorded recipes.
I am starting to use it with good success for head retention and at present I am adding it at around the 8% mark. some recipes go as high as 15% in an ale.

Hi Dicko

Using torrefied wheat in English ales is something that I have routinely done for a while, but lately I've dropped it from my grain bill. My logic was that with an Ordinary Bitter you use very little malt, and using torrefied wheat would just dilute the malt profile even more, particularly if you used up to 15%. So I've replaced the % of torrefied wheat I used to use with more pale malt. Plus head retention is not an important factor in an OB.

With higher gravity Bitters, particularly and AG version, there should be enough protein without the need to add wheat, so again I've dropped the torrefied wheat in favour of pale malt.

I also don't bother with Carapils. After the last lager I made with 100% pils malt, I'm convinced that it's not needed. This beer had a good body and thick foamy head with good stability. Yeah it might be a boring grain bill with 100% pils, but for a German Pilsner it works a treat.

I now look to other areas for poor head such as correct carbonation, clean glasses etc.

Cheers
MAH

MAH said:
snipped>
but lately I've dropped it from my grain bill.

snip>
so again I've dropped the torrefied wheat....

I also don't bother with Carapils.

snip>
I now look to other areas for poor head

Cheers
MAH
[post="48345"][/post]​

Top post mark iam pretty much on the exact same page as you with all these things.

Cheers Jayse

Torrified wheat works well.

However I've found even when it's crushed it's got a bit of a habit of floating to the top of the mash like corks. :blink:

Make sure you mix it in well. Lot of healthfood stores also sell flaked wheat which works well.

Warren -

I bought the torrefied wheat originally, soley because recipes I was reading, called for it & I assumed that it was adding some flavour profile - Every recipe I've seen for "Gales HSB" for instance uses it & this brew doesn't have a need for a more creamier head than any other Britsh bitter...
From your posts, it seems that this is an unecessary addition as it can't be tasted??
What reasons do you suppose it was included for?...

Thanks, Ross...

Here is my American Lager, 74% pils malt, 22% rice flakes and 4% cara pils.
Next time I brew this I will leave out the carapils as the beer was not to style. Considering how much rice is in there I thought I would add the carapils for head and lace, but the increase in the body has thrown this beer out of style. Mind you it looks really great :p .
View attachment 2041

View attachment 2042

100% pilsener malt got me the best head I've ever had, it was fluffy, lumpy, and abundant, however I don't know that pilsener malt is appropriate in ales, something like carapils would do the job better I think.
About 5 head-inducing malts spring to mind...
Flaked/torrified wheat
Carapils
Wheat
Pils
Flaked barley

I guess you could use any of these, but some will impart inappropriate flavours or 'textures', you decide. I think I missed one or two actually...

EDIT: Nice looking beer btw Andrew.

Latest posts

Back