Head Master Glasses

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are they commercially available to the public? In what quantities? I work part time up the street from a hospitality supplies comany in Fortitude Valley but I'm nearly always scheduled at weekends so they are shut, may take a special trip in there.
Or can you only souvenir them?

I have found a lot just in the streets in close vicinity to pubs & clubs on a Sat/Sun morning while going for a constitutional.. I actually went into a pub and asked to buy some.. They sold me 6 for $10..

McCarthy's on Parramatta Rd in Stanmore/Annandale sells them for $1.65 for schooners.....

....They reckoned that the energies flattened the beer quicker.....

It is interesting that you say this. I have been a part of side by side comparisons with headmaster glasses and "regular" glasses and if 2 beers are poured and left for about 10 minutes with 1 in the headmaster and 1 in the regular glass, the headmaster glass will keep the beer with a nice looking head and much more presentable than the regular glass. The regular glass will not look as nice but will be a great deal more carbonated to drink than the headmaster and taste much nicer.

This being said if you are drinking the beer at any reasonable rate then it does not matter, and it is much more desirable for pubs/clubs to have a beer that presents well with a nice head.

So i believe that the beer does go flat quicker in the headmaster glasses, but only if it is left and not drank and what is the point of that.

Always thought that was the case....

I suggested they simply turn to middies if they can't drink schooners quick enough...

They weren't amused....

Cheers, I'll hit the Coorparoo one on my way to Ross's to pick up my new AG goodies like my Marga Mill, airstone, hop socks etc etc in three weeks time. :beerbang: :beerbang:

BribieG...We sell them all here....One stop shop for all your needs these days :)

Cheers Ross

I was waiting for that one Ross.

Maybe it's got something to do with little defects in the glass, giving the co2 more points to sprout from...

Hit the nail on the head!

When these glasses hit the pubs and clubs, there was a bit of vogue for blokes to etch the bottom of their own beer glasses by various means, until they realized it was easier and a better result to add some extra wheat malt or similar to their recipes.

Holy Sheep Shit........ he said something about brewing! :eek:

They will send your beer flat faster but i find i can get a beter presentation on a beer with lower carbonation..... and i like them, they work for me. I dont leave my beer sitting for long anyway.

They are obviously a love or hate thing so i think the solution is a simple one. Use what you like :)

cheers

In my opinon all the beers I had tasted ******* awesome out of headmaster. If anyone wants to differ i'll fight that point. Rogue and headmaster= best day of my life, not really but definately one of the best.
Leeroy out

15112008076.jpg

15112008075.jpg

In my opinon all the beers I had tasted ******* awesome out of headmaster. If anyone wants to differ i'll fight that point. Rogue and headmaster= best day of my life, not really but definately one of the best.
Leeroy out

Is that a one-man effort tackling that collection?

Just as well you took photos..you might not have remembered it otherwise :lol:

cliffo

Is that a one-man effort tackling that collection?

Just as well you took photos..you might not have remembered it otherwise :lol:

cliffo

Cliffo,

I was thinking the same thing :p

Especially when he noted:

In my opinon all the beers I had tasted ******* awesome out of headmaster. If anyone wants to differ i'll fight that point.

Sounds like he did :lol:

4 man show that one. ******* awesome. Still taste that old crustacean. Gotta love the headmaster. Few extras but these were the hightlights

Im sure that its been said before, but if the beer is good, it shouldnt matter what glass it is served in.
And more to the point, does head really matter?

Leeroy out

View attachment 22566

View attachment 22567

So do you think if you had of used any other glass, the beers wouldn`t have been so ******* awesome?

stagga.

frankly, yes it does.

Not only is it the first thing people notince when looking at a beer, it is also important for capturing aroma in all those little bubbles

Im sure that its been said before, but if the beer is good, it shouldnt matter what glass it is served in.

My wife just said, it doesn't matter how long your head lasts, be grateful you get any....... :p I sense she wasn't talking about beer....

To me, head on a beer is about presentation more than anything, I tend to either drink a beer quick enough that the head doesn't stand a chance of vanishing (first of the day sort of story) or it's a case of I leave it on the TV unit while I run off to change a nappy or read a book to my daughter and then suddenly spot it 20mins later when I walk past and remember it was there...

frankly, yes it does.

Not only is it the first thing people notince when looking at a beer, it is also important for capturing aroma in all those little bubbles

I dont give a shit about how it looks, as long as it tastes good.

I dont give a shit about how it looks, as long as it tastes good.

errr, if I may be so bold?....I don`t think that was the reply the purists and academics were looking for :lol:
{that`s not to say I don`t agree}

stagga.

I personally just came across this thread and thought it be a great place to show off what we drank today, coincidently out of headmaster glasses.
That said though. They pull a great beer all the time and do give great floral characteristics for beer of these styles. For anyone that know anything about these beers they will know firstly that volatile hop aromas are released through the release of carbonation in beer (hence this glass is specifically designed to enhance bubble formation) hence why you might place your hand over the glass and agitate to create more bubbles and hence release more volatile hops into the atmosphere.

Secondly yes these probably would of tasted just as good out of any other glass but heres a plug for
www.slowbeer.com.au

No affiliation just a very satisfied purchaser. And thanks to newcastle kitchen and cutlery for great beer glasses.
Leeboy (still tasting old crustacean)

OUT

Latest posts

Back