Head Master Glasses

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergi

Reaction score
i bought a couple of headmaster glasses yesterday and on filling one with my keg brew i imeadiately realised that they certainly promote a great head, now my normal beer glasses did have a really nice head anyway but they were slightly small and i didnt have many, what i saw in the headmaster glasses was that they really let the co2 come out of suspension very quickly. almost like they were way over carbed, however they had a good hand feel to them and held a nice amount of beer, so i havent really tested them over a period of time but they do seem like a really nice glass,anyone else use them and what are your thoughts
cheers

fergi

I like them also, especially when they end up as souvenirs from different pubs lol. But yes they do make a great head when pouring the beer.

I bought about 16 of them years ago and love them....... onlly 2 left now...... all broken and only 2 by me.

My wife smashed 4 at once one night by dropping a plastic baby boittle on a stack i had just cleaned up.

planning on getting more. They are great.

cheers

Headmasters are my house glass for drinking my quaffers, I've got two trays of them. Father in law's with pubs are great ;)

I have gone a similar shaped glass but 425ml and am loving the result/s!

I bottle ATM, Kegs I am a comin, in 330ml bottles so I can pour a whole bottle with a good head perfectly into these glasses...

I keep them clean and out of a dishwasher,, SO what does a headmaster glass have, forgetting size, over good glass maintenance on ANY other glass have? BTW I am not trying to be smart I am asking, what makes a head master soo different??

Humbly

Cocko

The surface on the bottom of the inside of the glass. Its treated to somehow trap CO2 on pouring and release it slowly as the beer is drunk.

Blurb here

I can understand why pubs use them for the megaswill but I would have thought most all grain
brewers here would have been against them since you don't really need a gimmicky glass for your
beer to hold a head.

As for me, I'm a kit brewer so I've got a few on standby, just in case :)

My beer holds head in any, If it is a clean glass!, but its like offering Gilli a new bat that may knock out a few more runs....

I think he would try it! Even though he knows he will make runs, if he walks out with this piece of willow that puts him in a better seat... Yeah?

PS: Why do I post when I am so drunk... :icon_drunk:

The floor of the glass is acid etched to provide nucleation points for the co2 to come out of solution quicker - and thus promoting head. I've heard a lot of homebrewers speak nasty words about them, I'm a fan though. Especially after my mate got me a carton of 48 for a gift last xmas :p FWIW the fancy etched bottom doesnt bother me, I could take it or leave it. If I bought them, I would've saved a few bucks and got the plain ones.

I wonder if you could take your favourite glass and etch the bottom with the likes of a dremel tool?

I've got quite a few glasses and always found it odd how the same beer in one glass will look lifeless and flat
and struggles to hold a head while in another glass it'll fizz away like coke and lace all the way to the bottom.
This can even happen with glasses from the same batch.

Maybe it's got something to do with little defects in the glass, giving the co2 more points to sprout from...

Anyway, my favourite glasses are probably the Brasserie, and they do a great when to it comes to holding a head
and lacing to the bottom.

Brasserie.jpg

I wonder if you could take your favourite glass and etch the bottom with the likes of a dremel tool?

I've got quite a few glasses and always found it odd how the same beer in one glass will look lifeless and flat
and struggles to hold a head while in another glass it'll fizz away like coke and lace all the way to the bottom.

Maybe it's got something to do with little defects in the glass, giving the co2 more points to sprout from...

I too love the nucleated beer glasses.. I have many of the Headmaster, Energy and Headstart branded glasses. Though these are not big enough to hold a whole beer that has been bottled in a Grolsch bottle.. So I grabbed a Strongbow cider glass that is pint size and just sand papered the bottom of the glass and it works a treat.. A Dremel should work fine.. Just a little more civilised approach :icon_cheers:

When these glasses hit the pubs and clubs, there was a bit of vogue for blokes to etch the bottom of their own beer glasses by various means, until they realized it was easier and a better result to add some extra wheat malt or similar to their recipes.
I`ve got a couple of the originals that the local RSL gave me, but I don`t bother with them, good beer shouldn`t need a gimmicky glass to stand up. :icon_cheers:

stagga.

I use them as a matter of habit, I spent 4 years running pubs before I had a career switch and as such I am used to these glasses....

I remember when we first got them into one pub, a whole heap of regulars wanted us to keep a tray of the old glasses behind the bar as they didn't like the "new poofter glasses"..... lol....They reckoned that the energies flattened the beer quicker....That said, their technique for refreshing a glass that had lost it's head if they had ducked outside for a phone call was the smack the top of the glass with the base of another one...

One thing I need to get out of the habit of is freezing my glasses......Old habits die hard I guess.

Anyway, my favourite glasses are probably the Brasserie, and they do a great when to it comes to holding a head
and lacing to the bottom.

Duff did that with a dremel tool. Worked

I've managed to acquire a whole cupboard full of these for free ;)

with various pub logos on them, or if you have a standard glass you can just get a key and scratch the bottom for basically the same effect. If you're desperate for the bubbles to flow like crazy through the beer.

Are they commercially available to the public? In what quantities? I work part time up the street from a hospitality supplies comany in Fortitude Valley but I'm nearly always scheduled at weekends so they are shut, may take a special trip in there.
Or can you only souvenir them?

Bribie, since you're in QLD here's where you can purchase the brand new glasses from.

Complete Hospitality Supplies Complete Hospitality Supplies
56 Cambridge Street, Coorparoo 4151
Phone: 07 38477944 Fax: 07 33240564 Website:
A & W Hollier Wholesale Distributors Pty Ltd A & W Hollier Wholesale Distributors Pty Ltd
Unit 1B, 10 Old Chatswood Road and Pacific Hwy, Springwood, Springwood 4127
Phone: 07 33860708 Fax: 07 33860957 Website:
Bidvest Hospitality Bidvest Hospitality
1/461 Lytton Rd, Morningside 4170
Phone: 07 39020888 Fax: 07 39020121 Website: www.bidvest.com.au
Kele Bros Kele Bros
Cnr Yaamba Rd & Macartney St, North Rockhampton 4701
Phone: 07 49305000 Fax: 07 49305024 Website:
Pitchers Hospitality Supplies Pitchers Hospitality Supplies
10 Tectonic Cres, Kunda Park 4556
Phone: 07 54767466 Fax: 07 54767488 Website: www.pitchers.com.au
Fenwick Suppliers Fenwick Suppliers
68 Ingham Rd, Townsville 4810
Phone: 07 47724544 Fax: 07 47211840 Website:
Bidvest Hospitality Supplies Bidvest Hospitality Supplies
, Cairns
Phone: 07 40353456 Fax: 07 40351456 Website:

or a full list of australia wide suppliers > http://www.crownglassware.com.au/content/r...tate=Queensland

I hit the bottom of a couple of my beer glasses with a quick spurt from a bead blaster. Works well.

Latest posts

Back