Hb Article

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoffi

Reaction score
"Beers ain't beers"

Needless to say, the journo stuffed something up, right at the end. Never read a newspaper article on any topic about which I have particular knowledge which didn't feature at least one clanger.

Thanks Geoff, the best article, in a main stream paper, on craft/home brewing that I have read. (one I read last year had wort drained from the mash tun to the fermenter, the No Boil Method??)

nooooooooooo we can't let people know about our secret society. Before you know it the tax man will be close behind. ;)

Good to see AHB and G&G get a plug at the end.

Nice article, not oversimplifying things for the masses.

Cheers to Mick and the Kooinda boys for getting some exposure as well.

nooooooooooo we can't let people know about our secret society. Before you know it the tax man will be close behind. ;)
Don't say that you're giving them ideas!!

not a bad article compared to what usually is printed.

Great article with all the right people getting a plug.

Can't say I picked the error. A poorly worded sentence in the AG section, but still accurate.

i think its in reference to doing a small mash with extract. no mash needed with extract.

not impressed about the guiy sanatary conditions. look at all those leaves in the pics. have them flying into his 'tun'. hmmm real grass flavours.

do we know who the HB in the pic is? is he an AHB member?

Novel mash tun setup indeed... Who would have thought you could use a kitchen sink as a mash tun and a kettle, awesome!

Man I lost count of how many fridges he has, and soda kegs.

That's taking it to the next level :huh:

not impressed about the guiy sanatary conditions. look at all those leaves in the pics. have them flying into his 'tun'. hmmm real grass flavours.

do we know who the HB in the pic is? is he an AHB member?

Yes I am a member but have only posted a few times on this forum.

The brewery was only outside for a little while during construction and for a couple of brews before it got moved into a shed. You DO NOT need to be sanitary until after the boil.

Glad some of you like the look of the system. The whole sink idea was more of an accident as we were looking for kegs when we found the sink. But it works a treat. You are all welcome to come around and have a look at it in action some time.

Cheers
Ben

Man I lost count of how many fridges he has, and soda kegs.

That's taking it to the next level :huh:

Last keg count 22 (I brewed all the beer for my wedding last year so had to buy a fair few more).

Last fridge count 9
-4 for fermenting
-1 for serving kegs
-1 chest freezer for storing and carbonating kegs
-1 at 4 degrees for lagers etc in bottles
-1 at 8 degrees for Belgian/English ales etc.. in bottles
-1 small chest freezer that has been converted into a cold liquor tank to run through the counterflow chiller when the mains water is too hot over summer (or when brewing lagers at any time of the year).

Cheers
Ben

Ben - cool your an ahb member. i was only teasing about the leaves man. sorry if that didnt come across in the post. ingenious little set up.

WOW thats some serious kit youve got. 22 kegs. nice...

Ben - cool your an ahb member. i was only teasing about the leaves man. sorry if that didnt come across in the post. ingenious little set up.

WOW thats some serious kit youve got. 22 kegs. nice...

Only have beer in about 8 of them at the moment. Probably should sell some of them as I can't imagine ever needing 22 kegs again.
Sorry, missed the sarcasm in your post, oops, stupid me.

Cheers
Ben

Hey guys glad some of you enjoyed the article in AGE epicure today. Although it isnt my best angle in the pic :unsure: LOL
Pretty happy with the exposure and James the journalist has a real interest in promoting the homebrewers/microbrewery transition for some of us. Keep an eye out for the 2 page Kooinda story in Beer and Brewer tomorrow also. Look forward to some feedback.
Cheers
Trav
Kooinda Boutique brewery

I thought that was a great article. The only blooper I saw was equating malt extract with extracting sugars yourself through mashing but I reckon that's forgivable considering the detail given to everything else.

@Trav - I'm sure you've posted this before but as a Melbourne drinker where are the best places for getting a hold of kooinda? I live over west metropolitan way so something inner city is great but I sometimes work in Heidelberg and am not completely immobile. I'm keen to try a brew.

Latest posts

Back