Hb Article

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought that was a great article. The only blooper I saw was equating malt extract with extracting sugars yourself through mashing but I reckon that's forgivable considering the detail given to everything else.

@Trav - I'm sure you've posted this before but as a Melbourne drinker where are the best places for getting a hold of kooinda? I live over west metropolitan way so something inner city is great but I sometimes work in Heidelberg and am not completely immobile. I'm keen to try a brew.

Its YUMMY

+1 on the Kooinda!
Favourite beer from our Melbourne trip.. Well except the Carlton Draught that Rook made me drink, NOT!!
Cheers Trav

Lloydie :chug:

"Beers ain't beers"

Needless to say, the journo stuffed something up, right at the end. Never read a newspaper article on any topic about which I have particular knowledge which didn't feature at least one clanger.

I once house-shared with four journalists. Not the sharpest knives in the rack although they think they are :p
Could do with more micros in Brisbane, here's hoping.

Yes I am a member but have only posted a few times on this forum.

The brewery was only outside for a little while during construction and for a couple of brews before it got moved into a shed. You DO NOT need to be sanitary until after the boil.

Glad some of you like the look of the system. The whole sink idea was more of an accident as we were looking for kegs when we found the sink. But it works a treat. You are all welcome to come around and have a look at it in action some time.
When I built the Brewsink multi functional brewstand, the idea of using one of the sinks as the mash tun did cross my mind. Good on you for having a crack at it, how much hassle was it to get your false bottom to seal around the edges?
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...ost&p=73586

When I built the Brewsink multi functional brewstand, the idea of using one of the sinks as the mash tun did cross my mind. Good on you for having a crack at it, how much hassle was it to get your false bottom to seal around the edges?
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...ost&p=73586

To get a good fit I made a plaster cast of the bottom of the sink and then traced around that to make a cardboard template. I then took the template to a stainless steel manufacturer to get a false bottom cut. It fits fairly well and I only rarely have problems with some of the grains escaping down the side. If this happens I have a filter underneath that catches the grain and saves it from going into the pump. If the filter blocks up it takes around 30 seconds to remove, clean out and put back in.

I was concerned about this problem when building the system and my backup plane was to make a seal out of some heat resistant tubing that would sit on top of the false bottom around the edges. But I have not needed to do this.

Cheers
Ben

Hey guys glad some of you enjoyed the article in AGE epicure today. Although it isnt my best angle in the pic :unsure: LOL

Dont worry Trav, Its Mick that has the explaining todo..... How many months is she/he mate. :lol:
Good work on gettin some exposure, every little bit counts boys!

Looks like Dave at Greensy homebrewing got a mention online too! Giddyup!

Last keg count 22 (I brewed all the beer for my wedding last year so had to buy a fair few more).

Last fridge count 9
-4 for fermenting
-1 for serving kegs
-1 chest freezer for storing and carbonating kegs
-1 at 4 degrees for lagers etc in bottles
-1 at 8 degrees for Belgian/English ales etc.. in bottles
-1 small chest freezer that has been converted into a cold liquor tank to run through the counterflow chiller when the mains water is too hot over summer (or when brewing lagers at any time of the year).

Cheers
Ben

Ye gods! I have 2 fridges and serious keg envy (still bottling away). The gear freak within bows down in worship :beerbang:

Hopper

I thought that was a great article. The only blooper I saw was equating malt extract with extracting sugars yourself through mashing but I reckon that's forgivable considering the detail given to everything else.

@Trav - I'm sure you've posted this before but as a Melbourne drinker where are the best places for getting a hold of kooinda? I live over west metropolitan way so something inner city is great but I sometimes work in Heidelberg and am not completely immobile. I'm keen to try a brew.

http://www.kooindaboutiquebrewery.com.au/h...es/page0001.htm

good times

Cheers mate, check out the website www.kooindaboutiquebrewery.com.au
You can get it at Old England and Sir Henry Barkleys bottleshops in Heidelberg and online at a few places.Check site. Cheers mat let me know how you go.
Trav :)

There's also a cracker of a photo of young Ben in Willie Simpson's latest Australian Beer Companion. Nice work fella!
Is there really? I didn't know that. Well, there you go.

Cheers
Ben

Back