Haze

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
siphon from the top if possible, don't drain the fermenter from the bottom..

Manticle, on this occasion yes, and the same cloudiness as the pic.
G4WAU, I don't normally raise the temp no, but I'll give it a shot if it will make some difference

If it looks like that before kegging, it's not ready to keg.

Try finings in cold fermenter and try either not dry hopping or dry hopping when fg has been reached, rather than before. See if it's different.

Also try yeasts known to drop bright quicker like wlp london ale. What yeast in this case?

And fermentation undoubtedly finished before cc? Expected gravity reached and stable?

it's probably a combination of yeast and hop particles and maybe some suspended protein. If you have cold conditioned for a whole week then you would expect it to drop a lot clearer than that. are you sure the beer is actually getting to 2 degrees? 0 would actually be better. I'll say it again, biofine or or even gelatine will, if not completely solve the problem, improve it a lot.

Are you using kettle finings at all. I couldn't see it in your process. You must use some sort of product to help precipitate proteins from the boil. Irish moss, Whirlfloc or better yet Brewbrite.

I find 4g of Brewbrite at 10 minutes to go. A good 3 days crash chilling and a teaspoon of gelatine in the keg yields bright beers after a day in the keg.

Coodgee yes pretty sure it's 2oC, measured with a brand new digital thermometer accurate to within 1oC. Could be faulty but I have some ice crystals in my last cold crash batch so I think it should be pretty close.

Not using any sort of kettle finings at the moment but seems the consensus is that I should and will do from now on.

The thing I'm stuck on is that I never had this haze issue when brewing with extract malt, which makes me think I might have a process issue. Could this be the case or is malt extract 'cleaned' (for lack of a better word/understanding) of these particles/proteins prior to being packaged?

Cheers
Chap

I still got chill haze with kit and extract beers. But this is other haze by the sounds of it.

I have forgotten to add Brewbrite to a few batches here and there, and they do seem to take longer to clear up; the last one was just recently on a Bo Pils and the wort looked rather cloudy going into the fermenter compared to usual :thumbsdown:

My first couple of all grain biab batches looked really similar, but tasted great. I also didn't use any finings. I've found that whirlfloc used at 15 mins with a good whirlpool massively increases the amount of junk that stays in the kettle.

Gelatin has also worked well for me. I've tried it directly in primary before and after cold crashing and these days I usually just add it to the keg before transferring. If you still have significant haze after cold crashing, I would first try gelatin (or an alternative) on the primary prior to cold crashing.

A final tip is to use something to tilt your fermentation vessel while it is in the fridge so that your tap sits higher than the trub level. Make sure you maintain the angle if you have to move it for transferring.

Have just started kegging and yet to try gelatine or similar, I just fill four or so stubbies before transfer to keg then bottle whatever is left after filling keg. Good clear transfer when I start filling the keg and finish way above any crud on the bottom, so far good clear beer from my kegs.

Latest posts

Back