Have I stuffed the starter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

einnebcj

Reaction score
Had my first go at splitting a Wyeast tonight and I think I made a simple but significant boo boo.

Got my 500ml/50g starter ready and my sterile specimen jars. Poured 25ml into the starter and then proceeded to split rest into vials......hold on....the liquid is sludgier now than the yeast that went into the starter......guess who didn't shake the activator pack first.....idiot!

I've kept that starter and added the nutrient from the smack pack but I'm guessing it's not going to have enough cells to be viable? Was hoping to pitch it into a brew on Sunday night. Wondering whether I should make another starter from one of the other vials to to cover my bases or might the original 'watery' starter be ok. It's going into a 17l stovetop batch. Got 3 vials of 20ml each left......

Your best bet would be to pitch one of the vials.

Krausen this morning.........so there's action.....but is it enough.....maybe step it up with another 50g of LDME and 500ml?

Latest posts

Back