Have I Stuffed My Brew?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zrated

Reaction score
I've searched and yes I know it's been asked before but I've got a few questions.

I put on an BrewCraft 'Asahi Style' brew for my gf last Wednesday and it was bubbling away fine for a few days and then the was no action from the airlock. I tightened the lid as hard as I could and presto, airlock was back in action however that was only for about a day and now there is no sign of life from the airlock again. The lid is on as tight as it can go and the tap is screwed in nice and firm but still no love.

The gravity readings are still changing daily so I take it it's still alive however there is a nice big ring around the fermenter at the top level when I first put my brew on. I think this is pretty normal however I think I might know what has happened.

When putting the kit on, everything was fine and at the end I took the OG reading and sprinkled the yeast packet in however I then had to lift the fermenter up into the cupboard so the yeast might have stuck to the sides of the fermenter... Is there anything to be worried about or am I just doing the typical newbie worrying???? :(

The kit I put on contains the following:
  • Beermakers LAGER
    Brew Blend No.10 - BEER ENHANCER
    500g Japanese Blonde Malt
    12g Hallertau Hops Infusion Bag
    12g Saaz Hops Infusion Bag
    S-23 Saflager Yeast

If the temperature is within the required range, you are worrying needlessly. The fact that it HAS been fermenting indicates that it has been innoculated/infected with yeast adequately in my opinion :)

I move my brewers around all the time while they are fermenting, and it has never caused a drama. The trick here is that many yeasts after a bit of a flurry of activity, sit back and work away quietly, with minimal activity in the airlock. However a hydrometer test will show, over a week or so, that they are actually eating up all those sugars and making beer for your g/f to enjoy. Slow is good in the brew world, I'm sure she'll agree too.

However once the fermentation has slowed say after a week or so, try not to move it too much coz that might upset the CO2 layer sitting on top of the beer protecting it, even if the airlock isn't airtight.

Relax have a beer, enjoy making it for her, and reap the rewards when it is ready. I made a Little Creatures similar, and my wife loves it and is drinking it way too fast hahaha, Cheerz Wab.

I've searched and yes I know it's been asked before but I've got a few questions.

I put on an BrewCraft 'Asahi Style' brew for my gf last Wednesday and it was bubbling away fine for a few days and then the was no action from the airlock. I tightened the lid as hard as I could and presto, airlock was back in action however that was only for about a day and now there is no sign of life from the airlock again. The lid is on as tight as it can go and the tap is screwed in nice and firm but still no love.

The gravity readings are still changing daily so I take it it's still alive however there is a nice big ring around the fermenter at the top level when I first put my brew on. I think this is pretty normal however I think I might know what has happened.

When putting the kit on, everything was fine and at the end I took the OG reading and sprinkled the yeast packet in however I then had to lift the fermenter up into the cupboard so the yeast might have stuck to the sides of the fermenter... Is there anything to be worried about or am I just doing the typical newbie worrying???? :(

The kit I put on contains the following:
  • Beermakers LAGER
    Brew Blend No.10 - BEER ENHANCER
    500g Japanese Blonde Malt
    12g Hallertau Hops Infusion Bag
    12g Saaz Hops Infusion Bag
    S-23 Saflager Yeast

Nothing to be worried about.....BUT....what temp are you brewing it at with that lager yeast?
Cheers
Steve

Everything is fine zrated - RELAX :)

It's nice to hear the airlock when you start brewing, but getting a tight seal can be really difficult.
All that matters is your brew is fermenting & it's doing that just fine.

cheers Ross

Did you say the "W" word? :D

Certainly don't worry, and don't pay attention to your airlock either, as you have a hydrometer. Lagers ferment slowly. Wait till the hydrometer stops moving and then, if you're not in a hurry and your sanitation was ok, leave it a few more days. The yeast will reabsorb a lot of its by-products and the beer will be cleaner. You can safely leave the beer in the primary fermenter for at least 2-3 weeks before the yeast might start to die off.

The advantages to waiting are that your bottled beer will be cleaner with less sediment. Even if you waited a long while and the beer seems completely clear, there will still be enough yeast there to carbonate with no dramas.

MFS.

Wow thanks for the quick replies guys! Man I love this forum... it's bloody addictive! :)

The temperature sits on around 20 - 21 degrees. I've got two fermenters sitting in the back cupboard of my spare room. The brew mix recommends to ferment between 15 - 22 degrees. I've tried to cool it down with Ice on the lid, and it usually drops about 1 degree over the day but then sits back around the 21deg mark.

holy cow, will i need to make a fridge with temp controller to maintain such a temp?

ideally yes....or brew lagers in winter and ales in summer.....or better still wait until you can control temp and just use ale yeasts with your lager kits and make a psuedo lager. (Lager yeasts brew in the 9-15 range and ales in the 16-24 range). Its probably too late but can you stick it in a big tub of water with water filled frozen 2 litre coke bottles?
Cheers
Steve

ideally yes....or brew lagers in winter and ales in summer.....or better still wait until you can control temp and just use ale yeasts with your lager kits and make a psuedo lager. (Lager yeasts brew in the 9-15 range and ales in the 16-24 range). Its probably too late but can you stick it in a big tub of water with water filled frozen 2 litre coke bottles?
Cheers
Steve

Thanks mate, it's nice to have good advice when you are starting out. I'll probably leave it this time around because it probably is too late but at least I know for next time!

Thanks mate, it's nice to have good advice when you are starting out. I'll probably leave it this time around because it probably is too late but at least I know for next time!

no worries.....give your home brew shop a clip round the ear for not asking if you can brew at lager temps.
Cheers
Steve

no worries.....give your home brew shop a clip round the ear for not asking if you can brew at lager temps.
Cheers
Steve

hahaha no worries. I wonder why it says ferment between 15-22deg in the instructions?

hahaha no worries. I wonder why it says ferment between 15-22deg in the instructions?

yeah I dunno......you can brew a beer with an enhancer at whatever temp you want....its the yeast temp that matters.

I wonder why it says ferment between 15-22deg in the instructions?

Because very few kits have an actual lager yeast. Most are an ale yeast or, at best, a mix of the two. The instructions are aimed at what first time brewers can achieve in most home situations.
They also seem to suggest the brew should be bottled after one week. Again, this is aimed at the impatience of a first time brewer. I suggest it is better to leave the brew at least two weeks before bottling, even of you don't rack to a secondary. It will allow the beer to clear a bit more, and gives it an opportunity to do some conditioning.

Because very few kits have an actual lager yeast. Most are an ale yeast or, at best, a mix of the two. The instructions are aimed at what first time brewers can achieve in most home situations.
They also seem to suggest the brew should be bottled after one week. Again, this is aimed at the impatience of a first time brewer. I suggest it is better to leave the brew at least two weeks before bottling, even of you don't rack to a secondary. It will allow the beer to clear a bit more, and gives it an opportunity to do some conditioning.

Yeah I get what you're saying.

I'm in no hurry for my first brew. Well I'm excited and want to drink it all now but I'm happy to wait if it improves the quality and clears a bit more. I wont be bottling these brews, maybe a few bottles for the extra few litres once my keg has been filled.

Try using glad wrap instead of the lid + airlock for your next brew

Hold it in place with the o-ring out of the lid

It'll let you see into the fermenter during fermentation and you'll be able to see what's going on instead of relying on airlock bubbles

Also means you don't need to sanitise the lid + airlock

You will see the gladwrap dome up - there is no need for a pin prick hole for the gas to escape - it'll find its own way out

Cheers

Edit: Use more betterer english

however there is a nice big ring around the fermenter at the top level when I first put my brew on. I think this is pretty normal however I think I might know what has happened.

Active yeast cause the top of the brew to bubble up & "krausen" leaving a thick brown scum on the side of the fermetner. Don't worry it's normal

Active yeast cause the top of the brew to bubble up & "krausen" leaving a thick brown scum on the side of the fermetner. Don't worry it's normal

Thanks guys! I was wondering what that buildup was....

Back