Have I made bottle bombs?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robfromdublin

Reaction score
So last night I bottled 23 litres worth of a ginger beer and bulk primed with 300g of caster sugar to give it plenty of carbonation. I thought I had enough PET bottles but I ran out so had to use a few coopers stubbies.

Is that level of priming sugar likely to cause issues? As they are twisties, is it more likely that the cap will pop than the stubbie break? I don't mind losing a few litres but I'm not so keen on broken glass.

I'm no expert but a quick and dirty calculation says 300g of sugar equals 4 vols of CO2 which means yes, you're pushing the limits of a glass bottle. Not sure what to do about that to save it though. Maybe someone else can chime in here?

Yeah it's a little over that by my calcs (4.1 including max temp of brew). I only bottled yesterday so I could grab a few more PET's and dump the glass bottled beer in there. Or just keep them cold when they've reached an acceptable level of carbonation.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out if this is an issue or not. My brief googling on bottle bombs suggests that they are quite like bombs and I can expect glass flying everywhere. They are contained in a crate but I shudder to think what might happen if someone picked one up and it blew.

[SIZE=11pt]If it’s just a few stubbies I would try opening them to release pressure then re cap them.[/SIZE]

In my opinion

180 g in 23 litres is an absolute max

i have done 180g in 25 litres of beer and had a small number of bombs

and a few pressure reliefs using grolsh bottles

no more than 160 g

Rod said:
and a few pressure reliefs using grolsh bottles
[SIZE=11pt]That’s what I was thinking with the re capping suggestion. [/SIZE]

MartinOC said:
Drink 'em quick/soon.

Learn from the experience & don't do it again.
Ah yes, the obvious solution.

Get em out of glass if you can, at least the pet will just split and spray shit everywhere.
An angry injured SWMBO is better than one in hospital.

Assuming there are no oxidation issues with ginger beer, what about pouring all the problem bottles back into a fermenter for a second go?

Thanks all.

I'm pretty sure the coopers carbonation drops equate to about 200g for a 23 litre batch. I don't use them myself but it shows that the max is more than this. They've had 4 days in the bottle now so if I recap tonight then that should still give decent carbonation without risk of death or injury. Hopefully...

I'll report back on results

Latest posts

Back