Has James Squire Ruined The Golden Ale?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They may have been tinkering with the hops ever since the famous hop shortage began a couple of years ago.

If it ever happens, whoever comes up with a locally grown hop pretty much like Amarillo will have it made. Big quantities of this hop used in late hopping with APA style will ensure a heavy demand. It is not unusual to use up to 100 grams of Amarillo per 20 litres of APA when homebrewing to get the big hop flavour.

I really don't think Galaxy is far off Amarillo for flavour. Not the same, but I would say its a fair substitute. Can't see them getting much closer anyway...

Hopefully as the hop farmers begin to swap over to Galaxy from other varieties we will get a more steady supply. Its just what the Australian hop industry needs I reckon.

Panda walks into a bar and eats shoots and leaves...

Yep, in order to stop my head exploding I subconsciously added a comma after recently. Actually, I added a question mark.

'Twas not galaxy but summer saaz...

Trust me on this but don't make me quote sources or I may have to kill you afterwards...

Caleb, for that death threat, you are banned for a week :D.

I had the pleasure last week of listening to the head brewer of Little Creatures, Alex Tronsconso, talk on hops. What a nice bloke!

He talked a lot on how we place a bit too much emphasis on figures and science when we are talking hops and gave many examples of how this is true. It was a great talk. I'm exaggerating a little here (too much actually) but he reckons you can get almost any hop to do what you want - you just have to get to know it. He loves his APAs and has played with LCPA continually.

One thing I was pleased to hear him say was that a brilliant APA can be made from all Australian grown hops and grains. He loves Galaxy and so do I!

I am looking forward to doing a lot with Galaxy and I think am looking forward to doing some side by sides with amarillo.

This talk taught me that we need to rely less on figures and more on tastebuds which I know is hard to do for home brewers who only get to brew every month or so and let alone the same recipe.

It was a great talk though and I have new respect for the small breweries who have to try and produce the same beer using ingredients that are not the same from month to month.

Alex just keeps trying to make it better and is not scared to try new things. So, next time you have an LCPA and think it is particularly good, maybe send him a message with the batch number?

It's a lot smoother now than it used to be.

Caleb, this thread was about LCPA wasn't it?

LOL,
Pat

'Twas not galaxy but summer saaz...

Trust me on this but don't make me quote sources or I may have to kill you afterwards...

Yep doesn't taste like any galaxy in there to me. Think Caleb might be closer to the truth here.

Hopper.

Had one on the weekend. Wasn't what I remembered, but maybe my tastes have changed.

I had one of these last night and was pleasantly surprised heaps better then it has being. yum

The amber ale went south along time ago. I remember my first taste at the Excelsior in Sydney many years ago before I knew good beer, it was one of many gateway beers.
Sad story about the Golden ale, Ive been overseas for a year so I guess the next time I feel like one I may just grab a single, or not.

went into a local pub lastnight and YES they had golden ale on tap... (for bendigo thats an effort) so I get one poured and have a smell.. hmmm where's the hops?? thought ok i guess it should taste ok.. had one mouth full....... HELLO FLAVOUR?!?!! where are you? i was very disapointed... I asked for a bottle of Golden Ale to see if it was just crap off the tap but they didn't have any... I remember the bottles I drank about amonth ago tasted way better than this...

Then I drank a Carlton Draught... OH THE HORROR!!! and my steak was burnt.. all in all crapville..

I'll stick to my beer i think..

I bought a 6 pack last week, starting drinking a stubby and thought I had picked up some cursed CUB brew by mistake. All the hop aroma/flavour wasn't present at all, seemingly replaced with VB metallic flavour. I wonder if it was a bad batch or two.

I grabbed a couple of the GS IPAs the other day to have with a Vietmanese dinner. I was astonished how bad they tasted, and how blaringly obvious the change was to some I had a couole of months ago.

The amber and the golden ale have not featured on my shopping list for a while now. Luckily the list of other available beers is continually climbing, so we don't need to rely on those that have been bought out by the megas and has their valves tightened.

Latest posts

Back