Has James Squire Ruined The Golden Ale?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When comparing any specific brew on tap at different pubs you add the variable of the pubs line maintenance. Do they clean them regularly or not.

As for the inconsistency in bottled brew, a factor can be handling. Ive seen pallets of beer cartons, JS products included, sitting outside the store (coughdammurphyscough) in the sun on a 40 day after its been offloaded from an open truck. Cant do it much good. That said, Ive noticed inconsistency between bottles from the same 6 of JS IPA and Porter. Thought at first it may have been my taster, but Im thinking there may be an issue with mass-production.

When comparing any specific brew on tap at different pubs you add the variable of the pub's line maintenance. Do they clean them regularly or not.

As for the inconsistency in bottled brew, a factor can be handling. I've seen pallets of beer cartons, JS products included, sitting outside the store (coughdammurphyscough) in the sun on a 40 day after its been offloaded from an open truck. Can't do it much good. That said, I've noticed inconsistency between bottles from the same 6 of JS IPA and Porter. Thought at first it may have been my taster, but I'm thinking there may be an issue with mass-production.

Granted, but do you see Carlton draught or VB changing like that? They are always the same because the same ingredients go in every time.

Granted, but do you see Carlton draught or VB changing like that? They are always the same because the same ingredients go in every time.

That and it is hard to mess up the flavour when it has no flavour to start with.

VB always tastes like its been sun-baked & then drawn through contaminated lines. And I've had it from a bottle. a can, and at a couple different pubs. :p

Well.........swallow me knob..................JSGA is on tap in............................GYMPIE

The Phoenix Hotel revamp came with a great new beer line up, and a publican sensitive to the 2010 beer scene. A fantastic venue, great food/chef, Guiness and JSGA on tap. JSGA outstripping sales of XXXX Bitter and the plan is to showcase some other beers and provide another tap to into micro brewed beers. Plans for food/beer pairing dinners are under way and they are taking names for a beer aficionado group.

Have to say the JSGA on tap at the Phoenix is all I remember it to be, its great

Celebrating in the club lounge with a few local beer lovers this Friday :beer:

Screwy

With all the love for the IPA on here, I thought I would give it a go last night. Very nice beer. If they called it an ESB they would be pretty close to the money.

cheers
Andrew.

Yeah I agree Gulpa. I doubt anybody on here can really say its a "bad" beer, people's beef with it is more about the fact its called IPA. Then again, I have tried A LOT of softer IPAs than this one...

Well.........swallow me knob..................JSGA is on tap in............................GYMPIE

The Phoenix Hotel revamp came with a great new beer line up, and a publican sensitive to the 2010 beer scene. A fantastic venue, great food/chef, Guiness and JSGA on tap. JSGA outstripping sales of XXXX Bitter and the plan is to showcase some other beers and provide another tap to into micro brewed beers. Plans for food/beer pairing dinners are under way and they are taking names for a beer aficionado group.

Have to say the JSGA on tap at the Phoenix is all I remember it to be, its great

Celebrating in the club lounge with a few local beer lovers this Friday :beer:

Screwy

:eek: Ya having a dream Screwy, wake up :eek:

I've never had an enjoyable beer on a plane, I don't know if it's the altitude or how much they get shaken up but there's something off about beers on planes

There would be two things about having the JSGA on a plane. The first is that the altitude (or more specifically the difference in cabin air pressure and that at ground level) do make a difference in how your taste buds perceive the flavour of foods and beverages. The second is that you are drinking the beer from a can, and that makes a difference to the taste as well. All the other variables (storage and handling etc.) also have a part to play as per usual.

I have done a fair bit of flying and I have always found that JSGA was the pick of the bunch wrt the other megaswill options they have on board Qantarse flights :icon_vomit: . The service was the key IMHO - don't drink it straight from the can, use the plastic cup they give you :icon_cheers: . You may have come across either a dud batch Hatchy, but I reckon if you ever find yourself in the air contemplating a cold, frosty one, give the JSGA another crack...

Screwtop, draught Golden Ale outselling XXXX Bitter (yes, I know that XXXX Gold will still be the no.1 seller) is not something I thought would happen in a small town. Or in a big town for that matter. I hope it's a sign for the future.

:eek: Ya having a dream Screwy, wake up :eek:

Nope, Friday was great, 6 of us sat around for 3 hrs, JS Golden Ale then on to JS IPA, great to have this venue in Gympie. Nice outdoor deck and a club lounge. Bartender Karl even accosted my guests asking if they would add their details to the Beer Appreciation Group list, :lol: preaching to the converted.

Screwtop, draught Golden Ale outselling XXXX Bitter (yes, I know that XXXX Gold will still be the no.1 seller) is not something I thought would happen in a small town. Or in a big town for that matter. I hope it's a sign for the future.

Publican wants to head in this direction, progressive guy.

Screwy

Had a Golden Ale last night. Absolutely no hop characteristics. Just takes like Tooheys New with a bit of crystal in it.

Ended up just drinking Tooheys Old.

That and it is hard to mess up the flavour when it has no flavour to start with.

ha ha,

this cracks me up. a several years ago i started drinking carlton draught after going on a mission to find more flavoursome beer after being disallusioned by xxxx gold and the like. found i really liked it and all my mates would tell me it is shit cos its got so much flavour (that they found foreign cos they drink xxxx gold/carlton mid =absolutely no flavour). since then the last few years have been good homebrew and quality craftbrews i find c draught quite flavourless, i will drink when the options are very low but by no means first choice. the other night i had a schooner of carlton black which i'd tried about 4 yrs ago. my recolection was it was a high flavoured beer with toasty burnt flavours....lol hahaha it tasted like diet coke. isnt it amazing how ur palate evolves when exposed to flavour.
p.s. had fatyak pale ale the other night yum yum

cheers
matt

Digging this one up again... had a GA at lunch. So dissapointing :( this used to be my absolute favourite easy drinking APA. Probably 75% of all the empty bottles i had for homebrew were JSGA. I'll not be buying them any more.

i remember a couple of years back sitting in the Qld Cricketer's Club having dinner and going through schooners like they were mother's milk. :icon_drool2: I remember a nice rounded sweetness almost syrup like. That Amarillo was just so nicely integrated into the beer. You could catch the aroma from a foot or 2 away. Today, i got a thin bready character with virtually no hop aroma... nothing at all like i remember... such a shame.

Actually I had some last week and it was a bit better than the time before. Decent malt at least. Still bugger all late hops.

Well at least one good thing came of buying a pint... i've just bumped an Amarillo APA up the to-brew list just, so i can experience what i'm now missing. Rymarillo, here we come!

Interesting to read this...I'd never really had the JSGA, but after recently going AG and giving amarillo a flogging (including the ubiquitous drsmurto recipe) I decided to get a 6 pack. Meh. I prefer the amber ale (at least it doesn't need a big hop profile) or the IPA (which has plenty of hop). Still a decent beer, but not what I was expecting/hoping for. The copious number of bottles I have with "APA" written on the lid are actually more to my liking - although I know a large part of that is probably one-eyed pride/bias.

Cheers all.

SWMBO nags me to make another batch of Amarillo lager when I'm busy making other beers. I buy her a JSGA at the pub and she says, "Bugger-all Amarillo!".

You know you're into brewing when SWMBO has a better beer-tasting ability than 95% of the yobbos in the pub.

I was on a tour of the Camperdown brewery many years ago when they were just launching the JSGA. The bar was open and the ale was flowing. Mmm, mmm, mmm...

It's still a pretty good beer, but it ain't what it used to be.

Latest posts

Back