Harviestoun Bitter & Twisted

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manaen

Reaction score
Does anyone have a recipe for a AG similar to Harviestoun Bitter & Twisted?

Tried my first one tonight and loved it...

Does anyone have a recipe for a AG similar to Harviestoun Bitter & Twisted?

Tried my first one tonight and loved it...

Sorry manaen, no recipe, yet to even taste the beer - but I will be in Canberra this time next month.

So, where did you find it? Or was it from a source far from the ACT???

I found a few recipes on a UK site...
Can't vouch for them but they appear to have been used a few times.
These ones match the hop details given from the brewery so they should give something pretty close...
I don't think they mention yeast per se but most of the brewers on the site use s04 or Nottingham. Any good english ale yeast would be good.

Both the recipes are missing some details but the general consensus appears to be a mix of ale and pilsner/lager malt, some crystal and wheat and a little oats or flaked barley.
The flavour comes from generous late additions of styrian goldings and hallertau hersbrucker, with challenger for bittering.

3000g Lager malt
300g Wheat malt
150g Xtal
250g Malted oats
2000g Pale malt.

Challenger 22g @ 75mins
Hallertauer Hersbrucker 54g @75mins
Styrian Golding 39g @10mins
Hallertauer Hersbrucker 22g @2mins
Styrian Golding 64g @2mins
32 litre boil.

This one has the IBUs etc. Smaller batch though... THe styrian ibus seem a bit odd...

Batch Size 15 liters
Volume Boiled 23 liters
Mash Efficiency 68 %
Total Grain/Extract 2.71 kg.
Total Hops 113.0 g.

2.33 kg. English 2-row Pale info
0.14 kg. English Wheat Malt info
0.09 kg. British Crystal 55L info
0.12 kg. Barley Flaked info
11.19 g. Challenger (Whole, 7.00 %AA) boiled 90 min. info
10.47 g. Hallertau Hersbruck (Whole, 3.3 %AA) boiled 90 min. info
33.73 g. Styrian Goldings (Whole, 2.00 %AA) boiled 10 min. info
14.07 g. Hallertau Hersbruck (Whole, 3.3 %AA) boiled 2 min. info
43.49 g. Styrian Goldings (Whole, 2.00 %AA) boiled 2 min. info
Yeast : Gervin
Color 6.4

Bitterness 27.0 IBU

manean

Any good base malt should be suitable

The conversion I will leave to you

Flaked Buckwheat, i dont think i have ever seen that!
If you go to a health food shop you should be able to find Buckwheat, just gelatinise it by cracking the seeds and boiling it for about half an hour.

I had a quick look and couldnt find the gelatinisation temperature for buck wheat in any of my reference books, so a good boil or put it in a rice cooker that has a brown rice setting.

Adding some of the malt to the Buckwheat would help by providing some enzymes to aid the gelatinisation, for that recipe I would try equal weight of malt and Buckwheat.

MHB

I think the buckwheat may be an urban legend in that recipe, the bottle says "barley, oats and wheat-...superb hop profile combining aromatic Hallertau Hersbrucker, with spicy Challenger finished by late hopping with Styrian Goldings"

The first recipe looks about rightish. Might have to brew it a few times and tweak it.....very nice beer.

I think the buckwheat may be an urban legend in that recipe, the bottle says "barley, oats and wheat-...superb hop profile combining aromatic Hallertau Hersbrucker, with spicy Challenger finished by late hopping with Styrian Goldings"

I'm also after the reciepe. I sampled it at the Brau Beviale and fell in love! ;) But I saw no bottle, I got it from tap. Is there more information on the bottle?

Manaen,

did you do it in the mean time? Any experiences so far?

Cheers,

Alex

EDIT: What I got to know at the Brau is that the Danstar Windsor yeast is used for this beer.

No, haven't brewed it yet...need to get some more bottles for research :)..good tip with the yeast, thanks. but theres no more info on the bottle other than the carbonation is kept low

I found this promash recipe, how would you convert this to something I can use?

Would B&B pale malt be a suitable substitute?

What is a substitute for flaked buckwheat?

http://www.xxlbrewing.com/recipe/Bitter_Twisted.html

Any 2-row base malt should be ok

I think I originally picked the buckwheat from the ProMash ingredient list but used straight Flaked Wheat when brewing the recipe. If you dont have any flaked products available, try torrified wheat. It helps the body and head retention.

I'm resurecting this thread to see if anyone made any of teh recipes mentioned?

I tried this for the first time last night and was blown away.

Now, they say challenger for bittering and mention the spicyness it gives, does this suggest they do a 60/90 minute bittering schedule or are they perhaps adding more hops and bittering for 40 minutes or something to that effect? I was reading Mr Maltys guide to more hop flavour and they suggest adding all/most hops very late.

Just curious as this may be something a lot of my bitters have been missing.

Latest posts

Back