Hammer 'n' Tongs Draught

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take out the excise and bottle prices when you make your comparison. Excise, say $15 per case for the Peroni and $10 for the HnT, then the bottles, which we'll generously (cheaply) price at $8 each. Allow $10 for transporting the Peroni and you're left with "raw" prices of a $7 HnT vs a $22 Peroni. Now we're probably looking at equitable pricing ;)

Thank you for my quick lesson in beer-economics. My last post was intended as humurous however. I apologise for any lack of clarity (or indeed humour) on my part.

However you did neglect to add transport cost for H'n'T. given that we have apparently agreed that it is brewed by Boags, it would need to travel interstate... Again, my economics is poor, transport costs from italy = transport costs from Tasmania???

I think my argument is quickly failing...

Whoa there. No one has asked to clone this beer and I haven't bagged anyone for wanting to clone anything recently. Your implication is that I have done that in this thread. Easy there! (Who have I done that to in the past? Maybe a Corona or TED wanna-brewer?)

wasnt implicating you personally PoMo just a general comment , sorry for any confusion , but i have seen some from time to time caning someone who asks for a recipe for say a NEW or VB ???

is it not better to nurture new brewers than tell them their beer of choice is trash ??

just my 20c worth

Thank you for my quick lesson in beer-economics. My last post was intended as humurous however. I apologise for any lack of clarity (or indeed humour) on my part.

However you did neglect to add transport cost for H'n'T. given that we have apparently agreed that it is brewed by Boags, it would need to travel interstate... Again, my economics is poor, transport costs from italy = transport costs from Tasmania???

I think my argument is quickly failing...

I was just saying the real price is like 3:1 instead of the 2:1 of retail pricing, which is probably a fairer barometer of quality.

wasnt implicating you personally PoMo just a general comment , sorry for any confusion , but i have seen some from time to time caning someone who asks for a recipe for say a NEW or VB ???

is it not better to nurture new brewers than tell them their beer of choice is trash ??

just my 20c worth

When I do pipe up in those sort of threads, I generally warn the n00b that the clone they brew at home runs the distinct risk of tasting better than the beer they're after cloning. Let's face it, it's hard to make beer taste as bad as the big boys do it ;) (barring bad sanitation, etc).

Anyway, has anyone actually bought and tasted this HnT yet? C'mon DC, get off your chair and go sample some for us!

The way I see it is Craft Brewers on a Brewing Forum can't bag the crap out of another cheap, horse piss megswill beer on the market, WHO THE HELL CAN. It's fun. They keep making the trash and we'll keep bag'in it. :angry:

meh, chances are it will sell, and it will sell well due to the cheap price.

Wasnt that long ago that i would have been running out and buying a carton, and not really caring how bad it tasted so long as it got me pissed.

The only reason I got into homebrewing was because I saw how I could save myself a few pennies.

Thank god the side effect of this was doing a bit more research and finding out I could actually make some damn nice beers, so then I started using the money that I was actually saving to buy some really nice commercial beers, then trying to clone them, and before I knew it I couldn't stand any of the generic megaswills either.

The sad part is though, that 95% of the public wont go down this path, and when they see it in the bottle-o for only $26 or two for $50, they will either buy it because its cheep, or simply walk straight past it because they are hardcore brand name loyalists and wont go near anything else (ie. my father, no matter how much I try and sway him, pretty much all he will drink is that filth carlton cold, even though admitting to enjoying some of my homebrews)

The sad part is though, that 95% of the public wont go down this path, and when they see it in the bottle-o for only $26 or two for $50, they will either buy it because its cheep, or simply walk straight past it because they are hardcore brand name loyalists and wont go near anything else (ie. my father, no matter how much I try and sway him, pretty much all he will drink is that filth carlton cold, even though admitting to enjoying some of my homebrews)

Welcome to the 5%.

The most amusing trick you can do is put some of your HB into a "mega-swill" bottle. Surprising how many will not even notice it is not their favorite brand!!

I suggest at least a good proportion of the population have no or poorly operating taste buds.

cheers

Darren

Done. Get it at my Cafe Press shop. Available in either golf shirt or Elite organic cotton T-shirt.

Sorry to go off topic, but...

PoMo, How the f@ck did you get that quote onto a T-shirt, get some happy snaps posted on the internet, and have it made in the USA all in half an hour?
Did I miss something...
:blink: :huh:

Just read over the previous posts...this is nuts! Who cares about some new beer if we all make and drink our own? Let the masses have their choices - we can make whatever we please, whenever we choose to do so.

Why do people buy it? Three reasons:

Lack of cash,
Lack of taste,
Lack of diversity [brand loyalty].

Trust me, as a uni student I know all three. But ultimately it doesn't matter what some corporate pig pulled out of his arse, the simple thing is that we are all contented with drinking our own style of beverage be it HB, premium commercial, or mega-swill. Calm down everyone, and knock back another HB!

Sorry to go off topic, but...

PoMo, How the f@ck did you get that quote onto a T-shirt, get some happy snaps posted on the internet, and have it made in the USA all in half an hour?
Did I miss something...
:blink: :huh:

Contacts, mate. Contacts ;)

Just read over the previous posts...this is nuts! Who cares about some new beer if we all make and drink our own? Let the masses have their choices - we can make whatever we please, whenever we choose to do so.

Why do people buy it? Three reasons:

Lack of cash,
Lack of taste,
Lack of diversity [brand loyalty].

Trust me, as a uni student I know all three. But ultimately it doesn't matter what some corporate pig pulled out of his arse, the simple thing is that we are all contented with drinking our own style of beverage be it HB, premium commercial, or mega-swill. Calm down everyone, and knock back another HB!

Dude, this thread is a good old fashioned flame war. Take it all with a grain of salt.

Hey all,

If a beer is crap and cheap that that is a good thing, right?

Surely it's better than a crap beer that's expensive?

Crown, Amstel, Budweiser? Cold Shot anyone?

The sad thing is, home brew is great for saving money while you're actually drinking your own beer, but the beer snobbery that ensues is costing me a fortune when I have to drink away from home.

drew! back in yer cage this instant! I love amsterdam mariner @ $30 a case.
Stuster....I have an oversized mega popcorn n coke and $10 bucks worth of lollies ... oh and a choc top to boot!
Cheers
Steve

drew! back in yer cage this instant! I love amsterdam mariner @ $30 a case.
Stuster....I have an oversized mega popcorn n coke and $10 bucks worth of lollies ... oh and a choc top to boot!
Cheers
Steve

Bump..
Just got home from work and could not believe this post was still going. It makes for great reading,so lets just bump it because its late. I don't won't anyone to lose sight of it. Lets see if its still going tonight when I get home. :D

BYB

Wait,

I missed the bit where the mega brewers hold a gun to peoples head and force them to drink cheap, bad beer... I must have been out of town, which explains why I drink either homebrew or decent commercial beer.

Its not like the big brewers dont actually make any good beer... they do. Its not like the (majority of) brewers at the mega breweries dont like good beer themselves... they do and in fact are some of the most hard core beer geeks you will ever meet! The good beer is there, the breweries make at least as much selling a slab of great beer as they do selling swill; and the bottles shops actually make some money selling quality beer (they make next to nothing on the mega swill).... why in hell does everyone think that the breweries "want" you to only like flavourless crap?? Why would they? Its just nonsense!

The truth is that the breweries make lightly (no) flavoured beers with light body and high fizz, because thats what people want. Haven't you guys heard of focus groups??

Take 100 people, put them in a room, ask them what sort of beer they want you to make....

Answer --- Ummmm, "easy to drink", "not too expensive", "none of that dark beer shit", "well, I dont really like beer so nothing too bitter" repeat 94 more times ...... oh and there are 2 guys over in the corner saying something about flavour, malt and hops.

Mega brewer X, would actually quite like to make a lot of money, so unsurprisingly, he listens the hardest to the 98 flavour retards and releases H'n'T or Extra Dry or Empire lager. The fact that Joe and Jim had something to say about quality and taste, is why you have Matilda Bay and James Squire.

Actually, it makes bugger all economic sense for the megas to waste time and money on their "craft" brew sections. Yeah, they are hedging their bets that the botique end of the market might turn into something bigger, but they could smother it if they wanted and take it out of the equation... but they dont.

Instead they hire guys to promote the stuff, they send brewers to international beer competitions with beers like Barking Duck, they let the guy at the Portland brew up something like the Speculator, they host beer dinners where the freak from the mega brewery lets you taste the beer that he threw all the Brett and Pedio into just before he shoved it into a chardonay barrel for 6 months.

Those things aren't happening because the Mega breweries want to "force" crappy beer onto the market, they are happening, at least partially, because there really are some people in the big brewing industry with a genuine passion for beer. They hold off the bean counters with one hand and brew fantastic beer with the other, all the while hoping that the unwashed masses will finally wake up and make great beer economically viable.

How about occasionally encouraging the big boys to do even more by telling them how much you like what they have done so far? Or.... you could just bitch about them trying to make a buck while they wait, till they give up.

End of rant

Thirsty :ph34r:

PS: you must have gotten through at least a medium sized popcorn during that little tirade

Wait,

I missed the bit where the mega brewers hold a gun to peoples head and force them to drink cheap, bad beer... I must have been out of town, which explains why I drink either homebrew or decent commercial beer.

Its not like the big brewers dont actually make any good beer... they do. Its not like the (majority of) brewers at the mega breweries dont like good beer themselves... they do and in fact are some of the most hard core beer geeks you will ever meet! The good beer is there, the breweries make at least as much selling a slab of great beer as they do selling swill; and the bottles shops actually make some money selling quality beer (they make next to nothing on the mega swill).... why in hell does everyone think that the breweries "want" you to only like flavourless crap?? Why would they? Its just nonsense!

The truth is that the breweries make lightly (no) flavoured beers with light body and high fizz, because thats what people want. Haven't you guys heard of focus groups??

Take 100 people, put them in a room, ask them what sort of beer they want you to make....

Answer --- Ummmm, "easy to drink", "not too expensive", "none of that dark beer shit", "well, I dont really like beer so nothing too bitter" repeat 94 more times ...... oh and there are 2 guys over in the corner saying something about flavour, malt and hops.

Mega brewer X, would actually quite like to make a lot of money, so unsurprisingly, he listens the hardest to the 98 flavour retards and releases H'n'T or Extra Dry or Empire lager. The fact that Joe and Jim had something to say about quality and taste, is why you have Matilda Bay and James Squire.

Actually, it makes bugger all economic sense for the megas to waste time and money on their "craft" brew sections. Yeah, they are hedging their bets that the botique end of the market might turn into something bigger, but they could smother it if they wanted and take it out of the equation... but they dont.

Instead they hire guys to promote the stuff, they send brewers to international beer competitions with beers like Barking Duck, they let the guy at the Portland brew up something like the Speculator, they host beer dinners where the freak from the mega brewery lets you taste the beer that he threw all the Brett and Pedio into just before he shoved it into a chardonay barrel for 6 months.

Those things aren't happening because the Mega breweries want to "force" crappy beer onto the market, they are happening, at least partially, because there really are some people in the big brewing industry with a genuine passion for beer. They hold off the bean counters with one hand and brew fantastic beer with the other, all the while hoping that the unwashed masses will finally wake up and make great beer economically viable.

How about occasionally encouraging the big boys to do even more by telling them how much you like what they have done so far? Or.... you could just bitch about them trying to make a buck while they wait, till they give up.

End of rant

Thirsty :ph34r:

PS: you must have gotten through at least a medium sized popcorn during that little tirade

Paraphrased: "In a market economy, consumers have choice. You may not choose to drink the Megabrews, but you're almost irrelevant to them if you don't."

I'm kinda happy being irrelevant. I don't like popcorn.

B)

Wow 5 pages on a beer that most of us wouldnt spend 20c on how amusing lol.

Great promotion for it anyway.

Great post, Thirsty. I did get through most of a small (3kg) popcorn. :p

Very interesting info about the big brewers. Sounds like a frustrating job in the big breweries for those who are keen to make good beer, but instead have to make yellow fizz. Marketing rules. :blink:

Do the focus groups ever give the 'flavour retards' anything different to actually taste?

DC, you change your position so often it's hard to keep up.

To be honest I'll probably try a carton for the hell of it, if nothing else the bottles are reuseable hey!

Wow 5 pages on a beer that most of us wouldnt spend 20c on how amusing lol.

Most of us.

As you know I am the exception the rule.

Like in poker in real life, always leave yourself outs!

Cheers.

I saw it in Liquorland @ world square last night, funny thing is, after all this, i almost thought of buying some before i woke up and realised i have much more tasty beer at home. Cracked a Saison after getting in the door. :beerbang:

Latest posts

Back