Hammer 'n' Tongs Draught

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PoMo: Nah, my kid didn't like it...

HAHAHA! Thats awesome. Reminds me of Dad giving me a sip of his beer when I was little. Didn't go much on it, but my brother practically ripped it out of his hands. Think good old Dad let him have maybe a 1/4 of the bottle? Fair bit for a toddler, LMAO!

PoMo: Nah, my kid didn't like it...

HAHAHA! Thats awesome. Reminds me of Dad giving me a sip of his beer when I was little. Didn't go much on it, but my brother practically ripped it out of his hands. Think good old Dad let him have maybe a 1/4 of the bottle? Fair bit for a toddler, LMAO!

I let him (and his two little brothers) have a taste of most of my brews, just a sip. I'm trying to develop their palates so they don't end up being H'n'T junkies. Beer should be appreciated for it's taste, not dumbed down.

Dry good water bad, may try a 6 pack but definately not a carton up front.

Cheers PM.

Dry good water bad, may try a 6 pack but definately not a carton up front.

Cheers PM.

Yeah I reckon a six pack is a good try to if it's worthy of at least a session drink.
I have my daughter's 1st coming up in a few months time, and will need a backup case or two of megaswill. I don't want ALL of my stocks drunk now do I? Gotta check this one out to see if it's at least drinkable.

Hi All

This is all the info I have so far, but it looks grim at this point. I can't tell you who or where the brewing takes place, but I suggest brimstone is a workplace hazard. :unsure:

Decoding the media blurb below, "good honest" probably means "shithouse and easy to ingest quickly" and I think "legendary" may mean "rool cheap ay"
Expect your local wyno loon to hurl one at you from 14th May onwards.
Introducing Hammer 'N' Tongs Draught!
26 Apr 2007

Great news for beer lovers! Hammer N Tongs Draught, a great new Aussie brew at a legendary price was launched in 1st Choice Liquor Superstore last week and will hit Liquorland shelves on 14 May.

Hammer 'N' Tongs is the newest private label offering from Coles Liquor and fans of a good, honest brew will love the clean, crisp taste of this great value draught beer. Brewed in the age-old tradition using the purest water, Hammer N Tongs is a good honest beer - smooth and refreshing with no bitter aftertaste.

Available in 6 packs and slabs, Hammer N Tongs not only tastes great, but is available for a legendary everyday price. Slabs will retail for $25.99 each or two for $50.

So drop in to 1st Choice, pick up a slab or a six pack, and whack some in the fridge so youve got a cold one ready for when the thirst hits!
Thats a good price for a beer I can drink Ill only drink it to get my Hb bottle collection up.
I hope they come in Long neck.

Micka

Thats a good price for a beer I can drink Ill only drink it to get my Hb bottle collection up.
I hope they come in Long neck.

Micka

They dont come in longnecks mate sorry. If your that keen on stocking up bottles for your HB I'd suggest paying your nearest RSL/Footy Club to keep a few long necks for you, that way you dont have to drink this shit.

(Unless you really want to, I mean its not that bad...)

I had one as pre dinner drink at a BYO cheapo Thai restaurant on Saturday night. Watery fizzy cats urine that lacked any determinable flavour, body, aroma. Thank god I drank a pint stubby of LCPA after and not beforehand! If your skint and in the mood for waking up with a hangover - this could be your beer....

I just thought I'd be the first one to get in quickly and re-open this can of worms. Turns out Hammer n Tongs is brewed by the old boys at Boags, i concede, however as it was reviewed in todays Herald Sun by Greg Thom, H'n'T is referred to as "an agreeable drop that's perfect for thos who feel like kicking back with a couple of mild stubbies."

I translate: "a deplorable drop, that's perfect for those on the dole who are looking to get shitfaced off a few stubbies..."

Haha, just trying to revive this dormant debate, Thom seems to think that H'n'T is worth purchasing, although the many references to the good work Coles Group and Liqourland do, it'd be safe to say they mey be putting an extra couple of dollars under the table and into his pocket...

>> Debate away... :party:

shitfaced? it's a midstrength! doleys would prefer the alc% value of cask wine i'm sure ;)
"agreeable" in a review means "it didn't make me vomit and i almost finished it"

i tried it, it was slightly less forgettable than i expected but i won't go searching for it again.

shitfaced? it's a midstrength! doleys would prefer the alc% value of cask wine i'm sure ;)
"agreeable" in a review means "it didn't make me vomit and i almost finished it"

i tried it, it was slightly less forgettable than i expected but i won't go searching for it again.

Ok sorry i should have proofread my comment lol

replace few stubbies with many stubbies. or work into the equation the fact that its so cheap, you can afford a couple of scotches or rums before the H'n'T. If you were drinking H'n'T for the taste anyway, you'd wanna start off shitfaced... Maybe I've been to harsh...

I had one as pre dinner drink at a BYO cheapo Thai restaurant on Saturday night. Watery fizzy cats urine that lacked any determinable flavour, body, aroma. Thank god I drank a pint stubby of LCPA after and not beforehand! If your skint and in the mood for waking up with a hangover - this could be your beer....
Shit beer. Don't waste your time & money buying & drinking this rubbish. I bought 1 to try, Had one sip then poored the rest down the sink. Absolute crap

I tried this, certinly not memorable, but it did have alot more horrid POR flavour than I imagined it would.
Most punters dont realise its only 4% Mostly South Africans that buy it.

:huh: and we are still discussing this in the context of it being beer? I wouldn't even try to poison my ex-wife with it. :lol:

:huh: and we are still discussing this in the context of it being beer? I wouldn't even try to poison my ex-wife with it. :lol:

You're right.... Chirrosis of the liver is far too quick a way for the lobster to exit stage left...

Maybe Parkinsons????

(In case youre wondering - Lobster... Simple analogy.... Tail full of meat, and a head full of shit)

Festa.

I'm going to bump this thread as I've had the (dis)pleasure of trying this Hammer'n'Tongs today and thought I'd add my two-bob. I tend to agree with the general consensus of shitedom. My first whiff reminded me of the K&K brews done at 26C, back when I was but a young lad. You get that cidery smell straight up, certainly no hops there to mask it. But, it still gurgles down the gullet when you invert the bottle. The missus was good enough to buy a box to take to a party and brought most of it home. So while I'm complaining about the taste (or lack thereof), at least at the end of it I get a couple of dozen empty 375ml brown crown-seal bottles (not the annoying 330ml bastards) with cheap labels that come off easily. Is it wrong to be more excited about the bottle, than the beer it contains??

IP Australia
A really handy place to dig up info on mystery products; this is what they had to say about Hammer & Tongs.

MHB

Trade Mark : 1152094
Word: FREEMAN & SONS BREWING CO. HAMMER 'N' TONGS DRAUGHT
Image: BLACKSMITH WITH 2 HAMMERS & ANVIL ATOP NAMEPLATE WITH HOPS BREAKS OCTAGON,CONCAVE-SIDE
Lodgement Date: 14-DEC-2006
Sealing Due: 05-JAN-2008
Date of Acceptance: 19-JUN-2007
Acceptance Advertised: 05-JUL-2007
Class/es: 32
Kind: n/a
Type of Mark: Composite
Examiner: Louise TUOHY

Owner/s: Liquorland (Australia) Pty Ltd
ACN: 007512414
800 Toorak Road
TOORONGA,3146,VIC
AUSTRALIA

Address for Service: Coles Group Limited
Attention: Jenny Baker
Level 3 Module 8
800 Toorak Road
Tooronga
3146,VIC

So while I'm complaining about the taste (or lack thereof), at least at the end of it I get a couple of dozen empty 375ml brown crown-seal bottles (not the annoying 330ml bastards) with cheap labels that come off easily. Is it wrong to be more excited about the bottle, than the beer it contains??

No there's nothing wrong with that I do it all the time, infact the price you pay for H&T is almost a good price for the bottles. particularly when they come full of liquid fertiliser for the garden...

Latest posts

Back