Hammer 'n' Tongs Draught

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polar Beer

Reaction score
Hi All

This is all the info I have so far, but it looks grim at this point. I can't tell you who or where the brewing takes place, but I suggest brimstone is a workplace hazard. :unsure:

Decoding the media blurb below, "good honest" probably means "shithouse and easy to ingest quickly" and I think "legendary" may mean "rool cheap ay"
Expect your local wyno loon to hurl one at you from 14th May onwards.

Introducing Hammer 'N' Tongs Draught!
26 Apr 2007

Great news for beer lovers! Hammer N Tongs Draught, a great new Aussie brew at a legendary price was launched in 1st Choice Liquor Superstore last week and will hit Liquorland shelves on 14 May.

Hammer 'N' Tongs is the newest private label offering from Coles Liquor and fans of a good, honest brew will love the clean, crisp taste of this great value draught beer. Brewed in the age-old tradition using the purest water, Hammer N Tongs is a good honest beer - smooth and refreshing with no bitter aftertaste.

Available in 6 packs and slabs, Hammer N Tongs not only tastes great, but is available for a legendary everyday price. Slabs will retail for $25.99 each or two for $50.

So drop in to 1st Choice, pick up a slab or a six pack, and whack some in the fridge so youve got a cold one ready for when the thirst hits!

i think it may be brewed by boags, ala tasman bitter. but dont quote me on that.

"Low on everything, so you can chuck it down hammer n tong..."

Introducing Hammer 'N' Tongs Draught!
26 Apr 2007

Great news for beer lovers! Hammer N Tongs Draught, a great new Aussie brew at a legendary price was launched in 1st Choice Liquor Superstore last week and will hit Liquorland shelves on 14 May.

Hammer 'N' Tongs is the newest private label offering from Coles Liquor and fans of a good, honest brew will love the clean, crisp taste of this great value draught beer. Brewed in the age-old tradition using the purest water, Hammer N Tongs is a good honest beer - smooth and refreshing with no bitter aftertaste.

Available in 6 packs and slabs, Hammer N Tongs not only tastes great, but is available for a legendary everyday price. Slabs will retail for $25.99 each or two for $50.

So drop in to 1st Choice, pick up a slab or a six pack, and whack some in the fridge so youve got a cold one ready for when the thirst hits!

I like the bit about Great news for beer lovers. Who are they trying to fool? You know you are in trouble when the introduction sounds like it was written on the back of coaster.

Could be a hit in Alice Springs...

Available in 6 packs and slabs, Hammer 'N' Tongs not only tastes great, but is available for a legendary everyday price. Slabs will retail for $25.99 each or two for $50.

A slab for $26 :eek:

Sure to be good at that price.

2 slabs for $50! My brother will buy $200 worth "to try it out".

even better news is the soon to be released vb midstrength.....

even better news is the soon to be released vb midstrength.....

You mean VB Gold. I cant believe that a company would want to immitate XXXX Gold!! Cant CUB ever think of somthing original first it was Crown Gold now its VB Gold, Next it will be Carlton Draught Gold and Carlton Midstrength Gold.

Cheers JJ

Familiarity is a great selling point.

I like how it's called Draught.

funny how Hammer 'N' Tongs rhymes with the demographic no? a slammer in thongs.

You mean VB Gold. I cant believe that a company would want to immitate XXXX Gold!! Cant CUB ever think of somthing original first it was Crown Gold now its VB Gold, Next it will be Carlton Draught Gold and Carlton Midstrength Gold.
Cheers JJ

CUB is jumping on the bandwagon of mid-strenth and sugar free drinks. just look at the market. half the beers and pre-mixed drinks are 'super dry' or 'mid-strength' (smirnoff, bundy, johnnywalker), then you've got Black Douglas bringing out 'Black Doulgas Zero' premixed. f*ckn sugar free scotch cans. I think Jim Beam is also doing it.

Bandwagon marketing. im mean i get the whole responsible drinkning angle, but come one. can anyone tell me they ahve met a bundy drinker who is a responsible drinker? or a smirnoff premix drinker (since they are probably 20yr girls getting plastered.

the super drys are 3.5% also, and they taste terrible!

On another note, I saw last weekend that Crownies have gone twist top.
Dunno about that... the crown seal was the only thing that gave that beer any "style".

Has anyone actually tried it?

Seriously if you guys ridiculing it havent thats taking the homebrewing elitist crap to a new low....

haha drew is back...

i have tried it btw :blink:

I tell it how it is.

And good to hear! How'd it go mate? Is it easy to go down as I always like to have a couple of cartons of crap on hand for any visitors that stop by as when I spend eight hours on a brew I get a tad selfish with it lol.

And for the record the longer I brew the more I hate your mega swill beers, just hate to see some people on here who automatically ridicule something that they havent even tried.

Its naughty....

Not much to say about it other than it wont suprise you thats for sure.
Just the same old thing....

Has anyone actually tried it?

Seriously if you guys ridiculing it havent thats taking the homebrewing elitist crap to a new low....

I havent tried the 'H&T' yet, hence i didnt comment on it. As for the super dry stuff, I've tasted a few of them. avg. but then again i dont particularly like premixed pdrinks. they taste like syrup and you cant taste the actual spirit. But again, I drink 90% of my spirits straight, or maybe on the rocks.

You gotta let the commercial beer makers play around with cheap beers occationaly as there are plenty of punters out there who dont care if they are drinking a supurb brew or Hahn Ice. Its supply and demand. H&T might be a replacement for Tasman Ice as its name really fell into the background and doesnt get a great review. But its not bad stuff, theres not much too it, but its not horrible. and you've got to start somewhere.

You dont start drinking Chivas 21yr old, Laiphroig or Laglavulin, you start on Grants, Ballentines, JW etc.

But in saying all this (and its abloody long comment, i know) just bringin out a cheap beer that tastes like shit (if it does taste crap) is just piss poor. there are plenty of Fosters out there and thats unfortunate. no need to pollute the beer pool further.

I was previously only harshing their marketing buzz (having not tried the beer) but I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that the beer is yellow chemical flavoured alcoholic fizzy drink that smells like a dog that's been pissed on. That's what a "draught" is, right?

Latest posts

Back