Hammer 'n' Tongs Draught

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone actually tried it?

Seriously if you guys ridiculing it havent thats taking the homebrewing elitist crap to a new low....

Hi Drew,

I'm happy to ridicule it based purely on a single post on an internet forum. Nonetheless, when I see it I will probably try it. Only one stubby though.

Who will take the challenge to organise a blind tasting by accredited judges with H&T and something that is accepted as a BJCP approved draught style. Test to see if 1/ it follows the style and 2/ it is of good quality.

I was previously only harshing their marketing buzz (having not tried the beer) but I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that the beer is yellow chemical flavoured alcoholic fizzy drink that smells like a dog that's been pissed on. That's what a "draught" is, right?

Thats right where Im at. The marketing is impressively delusional.

no taste test = Elitism? I don't think so

This product is bad news and it doesn't matter what it tastes like. The price, name and profile of this 'make me drunk' juice show Coles are only interested in the bottom end of the market with this. It would be fair to assume that investments in quality and taste are only present in sufficient amounts to support that aim. Common sense says it would be an excersise in futility to hold judgement in lieu of a taste test for this one. Im sure I wont spit it out, but Im just as sure I wont be brewing up an AG clone any time soon.

Is it a full strength? If so, then a price point marginally below VB would secure the price conscious beer drinker. $10 below the competitor looks to me like a company trying to sell beer to kids, alcoholics, unemployed, etc. Which is really poor form.

I also just think It will be really shit beer. :p

Does any one know what the % is?

i think it is either 4 or 3.8%, cant remeber.

Hi Drew,

I'm happy to ridicule it based purely on a single post on an internet forum. Nonetheless, when I see it I will probably try it. Only one stubby though.

I said that about TEDs Platinum, and regretted it. My friends that shouted me it also regretted it, saying that I ruined it for them, as all they could think of when they drank it was my comment that it tasted like warm white goon.

I'll probably try H&T eventually out of curiousity, but science save me if I pay for one. And I'd wager a large sum of money on already knowing what it will taste like.

Keep this shit elite, guys!

To be honest I'll probably try a carton for the hell of it, if nothing else the bottles are reuseable hey!

I said that about TEDs Platinum, and regretted it. My friends that shouted me it also regretted it, saying that I ruined it for them, as all they could think of when they drank it was my comment that it tasted like warm white goon.

I'll probably try H&T eventually out of curiousity, but science save me if I pay for one. And I'd wager a large sum of money on already knowing what it will taste like.

Keep this shit elite, guys!

Your right on about TED Platinum. see www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15202

Once again I'll stick up for COles coming out with H&T because afterall they are in the business of trying to make a buck. Shareholders dont care how they do it. even if if does taste like crap and pull the beer market down (if it does indeed taste like crap). Then again who the hell wants to buy beer thats 3.8% or 4% and tastes avg. stuff that. at least as HB's we can make a damn fine ale thats 4%. why bother drinking watered down beer if its tastes bad.

I tried this on Saturday at the 1st Choice tasting day..... It didn;t taste very good, but was the type of beer that you;d get used to pretty quick so I reckon wouldmake a pretty good session beer...

also tried Hahn Super Dry and this is seriously the first beer I've ever had that actually tasted like water

I get the feeling that this 'hammer n tongs' draught is actually Cascade Brewery's answer to Tasman Bitter. If you look at the packaging, its very block coloured and has a same shape and style as the logo for the DeGraves range (blond, stout etc).
Also Cascade and Boags have a hugely competitive history. A rivalry if you will, and I think they would have worked hard to get their own unbranded discount beer on the shelves. Maybe to keep the punters happy, but I tip it's too keep the shareholders happy... "Anything Boag's can do we can do better!"

Not that they can though...

No, its from Boags. Cost price of $19 per case.

Thats right where Im at. The marketing is impressively delusional.

no taste test = Elitism? I don't think so

This product is bad news and it doesn't matter what it tastes like. The price, name and profile of this 'make me drunk' juice show Coles are only interested in the bottom end of the market with this. It would be fair to assume that investments in quality and taste are only present in sufficient amounts to support that aim. Common sense says it would be an excersise in futility to hold judgement in lieu of a taste test for this one. Im sure I wont spit it out, but Im just as sure I wont be brewing up an AG clone any time soon.

Is it a full strength? If so, then a price point marginally below VB would secure the price conscious beer drinker. $10 below the competitor looks to me like a company trying to sell beer to kids, alcoholics, unemployed, etc. Which is really poor form.

I also just think It will be really shit beer. :p

Does any one know what the % is?

Not everyone feels the need to drink top quality beers.

Fact of life doesnt make them any better or any worse.

It doesnt have to be underage drinkers, or unemployed ect, it may just be someone who doesnt feel like paying $38 a case, I know lots of people in my family alone who cant tell the difference between a New and VB but still love a beer.

More power to them.

Not everyone feels the need to drink top quality beers.

Fact of life doesnt make them any better or any worse.

It doesnt have to be underage drinkers, or unemployed ect, it may just be someone who doesnt feel like paying $38 a case, I know lots of people in my family alone who cant tell the difference between a New and VB but still love a beer.

More power to them.

And more power to brewers who choose to drink and promote better beers. Because there are people "out there" who are happy drinking piss, there is no reason for us, as keen brewers, to condone it. Keep filling the market with crap and people keep accepting crap produce.

The only reason I can see for big breweries to make crap nasty beer is to keep the shareholders happy with their returns. It does nothing for the craft that we all (well most of us) are so passionate about, it does nothing to lift the overall standard of beer in the marketplace. Promoting good beer as well as brewing good beer is what we should all stand for.

Are you suggesting that we should all be shouting on the rooftops "More cheap, piss-like beer is here!"??? Dancing in the streets with joy and all that?

The correct reaction in this brewing forum is one of derision. I too will poo-poo it without tasting it, thanks very much. (That said, if one was offered to me, I would taste it, as I have tasted most beers I've seen at least once).

thats taking the homebrewing elitist crap to a new low....

You can't take elitist behavior to a new low, wouldn't the fact that we are elitist mean that we take it up a level?

No I haven't tried this beer, & I am certain I won't be offered one.

Cheers
Gerard

I try to brew the best beer I can I am long past the K&K days that I used to be famous for on here, I make a point of using fresh hops/grains and a good yeast and everything else to make a wide variety of styles from Porters to APA's.

Sure its okay to want to promote the industry and encourage people to try the wide variety of beers out there ect and I do it myself by telling many workmates and friends about it and how cheap and much better it is and providing a tonne of samplers.

However because people drink a beer thats cheaper then most it should really be discouraged that are sterotyped as "unemployed and underaged"

Like honestly how many people in here and the same for most people you know got into brewing razzle dazzle beers? Most here if they honest can admit that they started brewing to make the "same as at the pub"

I say get people through the door before showing them the benefits of all the extra's, theres so many steps to improve ur beers and if on a website like this they only see people bagging the beers they see as good then they will very likely be put off the whole HB idea in the first place.

What a rant! - Lets wait for me to be shot down.

Introducing Hammer 'N' Tongs Draught!
26 Apr 2007

Great news for beer lovers! Hammer N Tongs Draught, a great new Aussie brew at a legendary price was launched in 1st Choice Liquor Superstore last week and will hit Liquorland shelves on 14 May.

Hammer 'N' Tongs is the newest private label offering from Coles Liquor and fans of a good, honest brew will love the clean, crisp taste of this great value draught beer. Brewed in the age-old tradition using the purest water, Hammer N Tongs is a good honest beer - smooth and refreshing with no bitter aftertaste.

Available in 6 packs and slabs, Hammer N Tongs not only tastes great, but is available for a legendary everyday price. Slabs will retail for $25.99 each or two for $50.

So drop in to 1st Choice, pick up a slab or a six pack, and whack some in the fridge so youve got a cold one ready for when the thirst hits!

[/quote]

Do you really think the greater population actually give a rats about the taste. I remeber not so long ago in a far away place I consumed megaswill.
Just think, what is there, around 4,000 plus registered users on this forum? Out of that "maybe" 10% are regular users. Then take into account how many million people consume beer but don't dabble in homebrewing. Theres your answer not to many care. I remember when the West End Eagle Blue came along, a light beer that as I now recall tasted like.......have a guess. Thats 10 yrs ago + The taste still lingers that was how bad it was. I think it died a slow death. The H&T will probally go the same way. Only one thing may save it and thats the price. You never know it may even promote more people to start brewing.

Cheers BYB

Do you really think the greater population actually give a rats about the taste.

Those same people eat white bread every day, drive Falcodores and live in off-the-plan cookie-cutter houses. White bread, Falcodore, cookie-cutter beer is all they want and is what they'll continue to get. Beer is simply a cold alcohol delivery vehicle to them, yes?

Give me my grainy bread, weird cars, architect designed housing and good beer elitism any day.

fyi, DC, I started brewing to make beer "better than the pub". If all I wanted was cheap, I'd be stocking up on the Liquorland beer-de-jour as well.

You've totally missed my point or just ignored it PM.

I said thats the reason most people get into it, then via the exposure to it or experimentation slowly but surely and improve there methods and try different styles.

I'm with you PostModern,
I can understand the Coles of this world wanting to make a buck but it they put some effort into producing a quality drop and a competitive price maybe the "single brain cell megaswill drinker" out there might come to appreciate something other than VB and NEW. But then again with the mentallity of the "single brain cell megaswill drinker" they would not know a good beer if it jumped up and poured itself down their necks.
But I think there will aways be a big division between the two.

At the end of the day the best beer is the one that you enjoy the most.

Some people swear by Tiger to me its sewerage water.

off-the-plan cookie-cutter houses.

I quite like my "off the-plan cookie-cutter house" :D But if you saw my outback shed. Its a little untidy but it has some hidden features. Woops yep off topic. But I couldnt resist. Refer to the post show us your shed

BYB

Back