Hail The Non Return Valve

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwisteveo

Reaction score
well just almost had my first fark up,went to connect the gas disconect to the gas in-post and heard this bubbling when i attached it and thought that was strange as have not heard that before and then thought fark shit what have i done, i see beer all thru my gas lines nooo!!(twas on the beer out post), please no not the regulator,then i look around the back of the kegerator and bamm!! all hail the mighty non return valve best $27 ever spent and lesson learn don't play with the kegerator when tired as spent 40mins cleaning and sanitising the gas lines.

+1 to this.

I have 3 on my gas line system for various things.

You would be surprised how often something like this happens....

NRVs rock!

Now if only I could always remember to remove the gas quick disconnects in the fridge from the already carbed kegs when I'm force-carbing one on the floor...

NRVs rock!

Now if only I could always remember to remove the gas quick disconnects in the fridge from the already carbed kegs when I'm force-carbing one on the floor...

300 psi serving pressure FTW.

Old story and not trying to embarrass anyone, but I'm sure the persons involved would agree with me retelling this:

My original Kegmate was actually delivered to me and set up by Ross hisself and the man who was formerly known as Chappo :(
Chap chap was crapping on about something as he is wont, and Ross was checking out the fonts with a keg of my Yorkie attached, and whilst distracted he did exactly what the OP did - there goes the beer up the gas line on the brand new system, and the NRV saved the day.

All keggers should have a NRV, if necessary at gunpoint.

:beerbang:

Old story and not trying to embarrass anyone, but I'm sure the persons involved would agree with me retelling this:

My original Kegmate was actually delivered to me and set up by Ross hisself and the man who was formerly known as Chappo :(
Chap chap was crapping on about something as he is wont, and Ross was checking out the fonts with a keg of my Yorkie attached, and whilst distracted he did exactly what the OP did - there goes the beer up the gas line on the brand new system, and the NRV saved the day.

All keggers should have a NRV, if necessary at gunpoint.

:beerbang:

What happened to Chappo Bribie? Haven't seen him here for a while.

Cheers,

Clint

He flocked with the wrong crowd....

pagan-love-spells.jpg

Digging up an old thread.

what's the go with cleaning Non return valves? I'm about to give my Gas lines a good clean before i hook four fresh kegs up for carbonation. Is it ok to run sodium perc followed by napisan through the valves or will it kill them?

edit: i should add, i have One valve just below the reg and then One valve just above each keg. Am sure they got in contact with beer, hence the urge to clean them as well as the lines.

If its a plastic valve, I'd actually be tempted to take it off and drop it in a bucket of PBW/Perc for a bit, then flush

What is the point of cleaning gas lines? Or are you guys cleaning them after beer has gone into them. My NRV saved me one day when i was force carbing a plastic bottle full of beer. Had no pressure in the gas line but 200 in the bottle. When i tipped it upside down it went straight up the line. Was so glad i bought that little piece of plastic.

I wasn't going to buy one, my plan instead was just not be an idiot. So glad i bought one :)

:huh: Bit stuffed on a Saturday morning, of course i meant Star San, Not napisan. So 100% sod perc, then Star San.

anyway, thought it was all too hard as i didnt have a clean keg ready so didn't Do it this Time. Will Do it on another occasion though.

Looked at the Bit of line between QD and NRV and it looked 'clean enough', so I've probably messed up my four kegs now .

what's the go with cleaning Non return valves? I'm about to give my Gas lines a good clean before i hook four fresh kegs up for carbonation. Is it ok to run sodium perc followed by napisan through the valves or will it kill them?

i would also like to know.

What is the point of cleaning gas lines? Or are you guys cleaning them after beer has gone into them.

My thoughts too.

Not sure there is any need to clean your gas lines unless you have managed to get beer in them.
If all they have in them is CO2, no nasties will survive in there.

We're talking about cleaning gas lines after beer has flown towards the regulator but been stopped by the NRV

Latest posts

Back