Hag - Hunter Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats to all place getters. Wish i had of had something brewed to style to enter.

Sounds like another well run HAG event.

Wish i could have been involved, just too many family comitments.

Now..... on to the state comp.

are we going to form up a club entry? Im planning some beers to style for the september comp rounds to brew through winter. Looks like we have plenty of other brewers up to the mark.

Certanly is a strong brewing region.

cheers

What a fantastic day. I was lucky enough to be a pseudo steward for the day and got a taste of some really good beers, the quality coming out of the Hunter is superb.

As everyone else has said, big thanks to David, Keith and Mark for doing all the organising and background work. Big thanks from me to all the judges I got to glean some knowledge from yesterday, which was most of you, and was also great to meet those who I hadn't had the pleasure of meeting before.

Congrats to all the category winners and place getters and thanks to David, Keith and Shawn for the beers they kindly donated. I can still taste the chocolate porter and the Grand Cru .. :icon_drool2:

It's no surprise that Dave (bigfridge) is a techo/chip-head, and he knows how to apply it to practical applications, such as collating and publishing brew comp results.
As the results came to hand, David was entering the data into the laptop. It would have been a bit quicker, but there was one table of judges dragging the chain... (Sorry, David :rolleyes: )

Les,

I like to think that the table that appeared to drag the chain was actually just putting more work into getting the scores and feedback right. I also know that all the judges were pretty generous with their time as I heard a lot of you chatting to the stewards about the many different flavour components that were in the glass. It certainly bodes well for the next crop of judges to come through.

I don't know about the 'techno head' bit but I have been involved in participating and running beer comps for probably the last 10 years. But perhaps the best training that I have had was running the scoreroom for gymnastic competitions (yeah I know I am built like a female Bulgarian weight lifter - but my kids aren't). Having 400 entrants competing in up to 6 apparatus in 6 sessions per day teaches you a lot about the importance of having the results calculated quickly and accurately. The biggest comp that I was involved in was the 2001 Youth Olympics run to IOC rules at Homebush. I was in-charge of the score room working with 6 scorers to ensure that everything was done just right in front of the international audience. But the biggest thrill is being part of an event where you can sit just metres away and watch the champions of tomorrow.

I got this same feeling yesterday !

Dave

Would of loved to of made it out for the day but with a 4 week old and the first game of football starting that afternoon it was never that likely i guess.

Lee, I know that they start young these days, but isn't 4 weeks a bit too young to be playing footy <_<

Sorry, couldn't help myself !

Dave

Hi all.

Well I've been lurking around here for quite some time and never really had anything to add until today. I entered my first AG (APA) into the comp and was totally blown away with the result. As with many others my first experience with AG brewing seemed like a total disaster (water and wort all over the show, nothing going to plan, convinced I'd ballsed it up big time) so I was rapt when the brew turned out the way it did. Too bad it's all been drunk (sorry Lee, my old man reckoned it was an alright drop too and between us it went way too quickly).

Much thanks to all of the organisers, judges, sponsors and other entrants. Being relatively new to brewing I appreciate the chance to enter local comps and look forward to the feedback.

Cheers guys,
Cameron.

I'd like to echo all the comments above, was a fantastic day that was run exceptionally well. I felt the beers were of an exceptional quality also. Thanks to all the organisers, judges, stewards and sponsors for making it such a success.

Lee I have a Mild left that I'll swap you, would be interesting to try yours seeing as they ended up with the same score. The Rauch however is at an absolute minimum (I only have 1 left I think) so I don't think I can swap you that unfortunately.

Cheers

A big thanks to all the guys who got this event up and running, and a special thanks to Mark, Les, Dave, Keith and Potters. I think the quality of the entries just proves that the Hunter is brewing some great beers. Three cheers for HAG! Next yrear will be bigger and better.
I some how ended up with a:

1st place - Schwarzbier
2nd place - Std Bitter
2nd place - Wheat Beer
3d place - Belgian Dubbel
4th place - Begian Golden Strong

Sorry I don't have any to share around as all my entries were just whatever I had botled at the time.

Steve

Hi Nooch, I would love to swap a mild with you. I have tuesday off work so will go to MHB that day to pick up some grain so will leave a longy there for you. I only have it on keg at the moment so I'll fill it to the brim with no head space for you (growler style). Hopefully it holds carbonation well.

Otherwise I live at waratah if it would be more conveinient for you to just swap that way?

Again, just to echo the above sentiments, and give a massive thanks to the organisers (especially Dave Lamotte) for giving us one of the best run competitions I think I could imagine. everything went so smoothly, I think people will be very happy with their feedback, and there were some sensational beers entered.
Big ups to MHB for being a drop off point (and any organising he did), really big ups to Keith and Potters for getting us a great spot to run the comp, and showing us exceptional hospitality, including donating prizes and post comp drinks. Cannot leave out Shawn and Murrays Brewing Co, who donated some great prizes to the winners of each class, excellent to see 3 quality micro's supporting homebrewing like they did (including South Coast Real Ale brewing co.)
Above all, thanks to all the helpers on the day, without you guys, and the impeccable direction from David Lamotte, none of this would have happened.
Congrats to all winners, and I look forward to participating again next year.
All the best
Trent
PS Cameron, that APA was excellent, and only narrowly lost to the bret beer in the BOS - keep on messing up all yer brews like this one, and you will go far!

What a top weekend fellas! Made it home and am looking forward to the next one already.

This was a very well run comp. Congratulations to Dave Lamotte in particular - Hunter brewers don't know how lucky they are to have someone like him prepared to put the time and effort into organising and running comps like these. Send that man a bottle of your best!!

The area is also really well served by Keith and the Potter's Brewery crew. It is a fantastic venue and Keith is another great asset to the local brewing community. Buy a few of his beers wherever you can find them. Great beer (esp that Choc Porter mate) and a great supporter of Hunter brewers.

Thanks also go to Mark and Les for their efforts in organising and running the day - and great work Mark for making it up on the busieist day of your week to support the Hags.

The standard was very high overall and it was great to be involved in the B.O.S. round of judging - some really excellent beers. Stephen's BOS winner was a worthy champion - great brewing mate. And the APA that came second overall was one of the best examples of the style I've tried. Great balance and fantastic flavour and aroma. Keep it up!

Thanks again for a top weekend fellas. Count me in for the next one!!

Shawn.

Wow, those results were up fast.

In my first competition, entering a style I have never made before, I score 74.5.
I am absolutly thrilled with my maiden effort.

Thanks to all who, organised, helped, judged and entered.

Look forward to the next event.

Cheers
Josh :icon_cheers:

Just picked up my feedback, certificates and prizes (thanks to Potters and Murrays - totally unexpected) from Mark's.

Fantastic feedback and quality certificates, and the prizes will be savoured.
Thanks again to all involved, I'll have to make sure the 4 kids go to Grandad's next year so I can attend.

Cheers guys,

Cameron.

Does feedback get mailed to us, or do I have to collect it in person from MHB?

prob best to tune in with bigfridge by pm or on the HAG website here.

I have collected mine and my boss's certificates. Yep the boss is a homebrewer, and he makes a fine Golden ale and a chilli beer.

Les out B)

Latest posts

Back