Hag Christmas Case Drinkin'

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fingolfin's Yeast was the wyeast, NW APA yeast. Very good yeast in my opinion for this style. Even better than American ale II IMO.

No.19 American Amber as previously mentioned has WYeast V.S.S Fat Tyre Ale yeast. Which is the same on they use in their famous Amber Ale. It is 2nd generation and in very good condition.

Picked up my share of the case swap today because I had to leave a bit early on Saturday.

Anyway will get sampling hopefully from tomorrow. So many I am looking forward to trying!!!

Thanks again to mark for a really good day. Very very well run. I still think these things should have a cover charge (donation) to cover the cost of the keg etc.

Lee

3. Goatherder's Iimperial Pilsner - Poured an absloute treat, had a beautiful silky white head that lasted to the bottom of the glass. Carbing was perfect and it was pretty clear in the glass.

The aroma was great and I couldn't wait to taste it, I wasn't disappointed. I thought the bitterness and the maltiness were perfectly balanced. I'm not sure what malts were in it, but I thought I maybe tatsed some Cara in there? It had a rich smooth caramel flavour and went perfectly with the cow I massacred on the BBQ tonight.

I really enjoyed it GH, and I'd be proud to say I brewed it. Thanks.

Cheers schooey, glad you liked. No cara I'm afraid - 100% IMC Pils. B)

'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house

Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse;​

Except for Keith's beer.

Which was over-carbonated, making a very loud noise when it exploded scaring santa, his reindeer and the neighbours.

Actually, my bottle did not blow up, but it was way too fizzy.

I advise people to put it in the fridge and drink NOW!

(Sorry)

K.

#5 - Keith's AIPA

Gusher. Once I'd poured a glass and left it alone for 10 minutes to think about what it had done wrong, it settled to a nice deep golden colour, understandably hazy with a big pillowy head. There are some nice grapefruit citrus notes dominating the aroma with an underlying softer stone fruit type presence. The hops are very assertive up front, painting the tongue with lingering bitterness and flavour. The bitterness is solid and continues right through into the aftertaste. The malt makes an appearance late but is content to take a back seat to the hop show. The finish is dry and the body is medium-thin, helping to making this quite an easy drinking number. Cheers Keith, much enjoyed.

edit: grammar. can't make a mistake in this review!

Thanks for the tip keith.

I just put your #5 into solitary confinement in the fridge for drinking tomorrow night.

15 - Craig - American Rye - Bottled 26/11/2007 5.4% US05

Wow, you should have seen the face my missus made when she tried this! Quite dry and pretty bitter - columbus hops? What was the IBUs? I like the rye spiciness and the carbonation is spot on. Big head which laces all the way down. I probably wouldn't drink too many of these, but then its probably not my (beer) style. I can't help but think a pound of crystal would balance it out and add some sweetness - but I'm sure thats not to style! Thanks for the beer Craig.

Snaglers ESB
Well, the carbonation is a bit high, but not as high as I was expecting! It poured a very hazy deep amber, it is clearing a little as it warms, I think there is mostly chill haze, but a moderate level of permanent haze. Obviously boiling vigourosly (sp? Les?) will help in that regard, as will rapid chilling after the boil (not wanting to start a no chill war, though!)
Sweet caramelly malt on the nose, smells like it has been in the bottle for amonth or 2? There is a smell in there that I know, but just cannot put my finger on, but it isnt offensive. There is some fruitiness and yeast character on the nose also.
Slightly oxidised sweet malt on the palate, balanced out by the medium bitterness. Some hops and fruitiness on the palate also, but for mine there is a slight astringecy or something right at the end of the mouthfull that detracts a little, but isnt too bad. Everything is pretty good for the style, next time I would try and make it a bit darker, maybe with the addition of a small amount of choc malt, and keep an eye on sparge temps? Make sure to pitch plenty of healthy yeast too, though you may have done that with this beer anyway. At the end of the day, this is a pretty good beer, I can only assume that it is a few weeks or more old, and I would like to try something like this fresh.
Thanks for sharing
Trent

17 - Snagler - ESB OG 1.055 FG 1.008 Bottled 25/10/07 (Ready to drink, carbonation higher than I would have liked) Critisism welcome!!!

Trent beat me to the beer by 10 mins :) Carbonation was pretty high as you say Snagler, though they were big bubbles. I get slight oxidation in the taste, but usually associate this with the English hops. I also get a minty and salty/minerally aftertaste - did you treat the mash/sparge water with salts? Not sure where the minty sensation is coming from - non-traditional hops?

Would love to try this one with less carbonation and maybe slightly less attenuation. The flavours and recipe are a winner, thanks for the beer!

Think I had better drop Sammus a line to see if all made back from to the Illawarra ok. Has anyone tried the ninny yet?

Scotty

Thanks for the tip, Keith. Chilled in the frig while I was out 4 dinner with the management team (misfits, one and all :lol: )

Not a self-pourer...but quite spirited in the gaseous way. Carbonation drops?

Very bitter sting to it, too. It looks like the W1028 accentuates the bitterness, or is it the water profile/salts?

My W1028 yeast likes a little while to attenuate, when brewed at the right temp (not too warm), so was your beer bottled early ish? I'd prolly say not, as there is no diacetyl from the W1028. I think that this yeast likes to chew along slowly and clean up the

Is it a dry hop that I smell in there? I could barely taste it, but U know that my latest hoppy beer used about 80g as dry hop. :lol:

Am saving the rest for tomorrow...recapped.

Bring on the ninny (is it a Nineh Cherry?)

Trent, I'd check an online dictionary, but I think it's "vigorously".
Beerz
Lez

*edited to add the odd word and punctuation. No spelling was harmed in this edit

#3. Goatherders Imperial Pils.

Poured a nice pale colour that was a touch hazy with good carb and a
fluffy white head that laced all the way down. Nice hop aroma with a slight sweet
malt profile. Nicely balanced malt and hop flavour with a good
bitterness that lingered into the finish.
Nice beer GH, thanks for sharing.

Wow, you should have seen the face my missus made when she tried this! Quite dry and pretty bitter - columbus hops? What was the IBUs? I like the rye spiciness and the carbonation is spot on. Big head which laces all the way down. I probably wouldn't drink too many of these, but then its probably not my (beer) style. I can't help but think a pound of crystal would balance it out and add some sweetness - but I'm sure thats not to style! Thanks for the beer Craig.

It did the same thing to my missus when she tried it 2 nights ago :lol:
Bittered with Simcoe - then a simcoe, amarillo and cascade blend at 20, 10 and flameout.
Its only supposed to be 35 IBU but I think the combination of the dryness and rye spice seems to make the beer seem much more bitter.
It is a recipe I found on the US site Brew Board - first time I have made it.

Cheers

Trent and Insight --- Thanks for the feedback on my #17 ESB.

It was only my 10th AG and ESB isnt a style Im much into myself or brewed before, I guess I was trying to brew a beer style that would be ready to drink by Christmas. Thanks again for the comments

Adam

Woops, sorry I forgot to answer insights questions.

No salts were used at all - (havent dabbled with those as yet)
Hops used were EKG and Styrian goldings (Blending both for bitterness,flavour,aroma)

Adam

Picked up my crates today, wish i could have made the swap day :(

My contribution is not ready to drink yet and still needs time to carb up before

1. Les/ Weizguy - Aventinus weizenbock-style ale aka Teninch Double D (Dunkelweizen Doppelbock). 7.7% alc. Bottled with reserved wort on 8/12 (so give it a little time in the fridge - maybe up to 6 months for a strong beer like this)
2. Offline - APA Bottled 11/12 not ready to drink yet
3. goatherder - Imperial Pilsner. Wyeast 2001. 6.5% abv. Bottled 20/11/2007. Ready to drink.
4. David L - American IPA. Flying Dog yeast 7.3% abv. Bottled 15-Dec so give it 2 weeks to carb plus a week in the fridge would do it wonders
5. Keith - AIPA, Wyeast 1028. Bottled 07/12/07 DRINK NOW; 5s A Foreign extra stout, Yeast S04, 5.5% DRINK NOW
6. Scotty - Ninny Lager
7. Sammus - Some sort of English ale - Bottled 12/12/07; WY1968 OG:1.064 FG:1.015, 6.4%. Drink in a long time!
8. MHB - have to test the new LCBA clone on someone
9. nooch - AIPA bottled 15/12/07. Leave at least 2 weeks to carb up.
10. Tony - Golden ale. Bottled 2.12.07....... NOT ready yet. leave it till the new year.
11 - Trent - Saison - give it 2 weeks to carb. Also a Belgian Pale Ale - ready to drink.
12 - Peve - Probably American Pale (Golden)
13 - Insight - Smoked Robust Porter
14 - Punter- American Amber
16 - Head - Not too sure, still on training wheels. Maybe Irish Red.
17 - Snagler - ESB OG 1.055 FG 1.008 Bottled 25/10/07 (Ready to drink, carbonation higher than I would have liked) Critisism welcome!!!
18 - Shmick - Spiced Belgian Golden Ale (WY3522)
19 - Leeboy - American Amber Ale READY TO DRINK
20. Danny Boy - 'Sugarloaf Sweet'
21. Pok - Unknown.... most probably a clone as I am still K&K with a bit of experimenting.. basically in for experience and some feedback. May put in a golden ale clone or something....suggestions welcome???
22. Loftboy - Hahn Premium Clone. Like 'pokolbinguy', I'm still K&K & want to do this for the experience & feedback.
23. Schooey - Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale - Bottled 9.12.07 DON'T drink until late January.
24. Stephen - English pale ale
25. Ms Thirsty Wench - Dark Ale
26. Fingolfin - UK Double IPA - Double IPA with a british twist
27. michael mosely - cascade / amarillo IPA, bottled 04/12/07
28. Colin Hansell - Irish Red Ale

#26 - Fingolfin's UK 2IPA

Dark copper in colour, heading towards brown territory. The beer is quite hazy with a nicely formed well lasting head. The floral hop aromas are delicate and delicious. Underneath are some nice toffee notes and a touch of boozy alcohol. The malt flavours are smooth and rounded with a nice depth of flavour. The bitterness and dry finish are excellent counterpoints to the sweet malts. The beer is very drinkable but has got quite a kick. A good beer with loads of flavour and exceptional balance. Cheers.

#17 - Snagler's ESb

Amber hued with a little chill haze and a stable white head. There are some great English earthy hop aromas intermingled with some bready malts. There is a hint of nice yeast esters too. The maltiness hits up front and follows through very nicely with a balanced bitterness. I found the carbonation just a touch high but that's the only fault I can find. Outstanding beer thanks Snagler, lovely balance and very drinkable.

Snaglers ESB.

I thought it was an enjoyable beer. Carb was high but i just left it for 5 min to de carb and warm a tad and it was nice. Not entirely to style with highish attenuation and dry finnish but the beer was fairly clean and well made. My bottle was fairly clear with a touch of haze but not as bad as some beers ive made.

ESB is a dificult style to master...... given we dont drink it all the time to know exactly what it should be like.

Great job mate...... keep it up.

Keiths 5s, Imperial stout.

Well not sure how inperial it is but its nice. low carb for a creamy smooth mouth feel. smooth roast malt aroma and big hit of roast in the back of your mouth that is addictive...... i keep going back for a nother mouthfull.

Mate this is a perfectly ballanced, smooth, easy to drink, enjoyable stout that i would very much like the recipe for :)

Im really happy i got this beer cause i dont like american beers much. Thanks mate. Great beer :chug:

Scotty.... maybe you should add a drinkability status to the list so we know if the Ninny is ready to drink like everyone else..

I dont want to crack it and find its still carbing up.

cheers

Back