Hag Christmas Case Drinkin'

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7. Sammus - Some sort of English ale.

Geat deep copper colour. low carb but held a nice white film head to the death! Impressive!

Smooth deep malt with hops hovering around the middle....... very drinkable.

I really enjoyed this beer mate.

Thanks for sharing.

cheers

Edit: spelling only in just about every word :)

1 - Les's Double D Weizenbock

I don't have a full review for you Les. I shared the bottle with some friends late last night, all beer geeks. The verdict was unanimous, it was awesome. Big malt flavours, great ester profile and as smooth as silk. Superb drinking.

19. Leeboy - American Amber

Hate to say it mate, but I uncapped mine and the bottle promptly spewed forth half it's contents all over me, my sink and numerous other places. I sat it in the sink and let it settle for a minute and was left with about a third. I tipped what I could in a glass and had a sip and it was very sour, sulphury and metallic. Another infected bottle I'm thinking, I guess I'm lucky I had it in the fridge pretty much since I got it home.

Hopefully I'll have more luck with your next one mate, thanks for sharing anyway.

Cheers,

Schooey

#26 Fingolfin's IIPA with an English twist.
Mate. Poured a beautiful burnished copper/orange colour, with a thick white head that kept on growing till it nearly crept out of the glass! I have to say I think the "twist" is a twist of lemon thrown in there! That is the most prominent aroma for me, along with some malt, but it is real lemony.
The beer is very drinkable, and the carbonation doesnt seem too OTT despite it being quite high, it actually thins out the body a bit to medium. Some caramel maltiness, firm bitterness that is balanced by the malt, and again, that real lemony twang to it. It isn't offensive at all, actually adds to the drinkability of it.
Probably a beer that is going to bite me on the bum for drinking it so quick, but it is a very interesting, easy drinking ale. Bitterness is quite smooth, and persists well into the aftertaste. It makes me burp, but it is a beer that I am quite enjoying.
Thanks very much for sharing.
Trent

Loftboy
Glad you liked my saison. It is pretty simple, 95% pils, 5% wheat, mashed at 62C. I would probably add more than 10% wheat usually, but I was out! Bittered to 20IBU, with a good slug of Goldings at flameout, then comes the most important part of all - Saison liquid yeast, fermented at 25-30C. Any other yeast will not cut the mustard, and below 25C it will konk out. It will take 4 weeks to finish (1 week if ya use the VSS French Saison yeast), but give it time and warmth.
You are K+K or extract? K+K there may be a saison kit, and extract, talk to Mark, but I would just assume a good Extra light unhopped malt. The yeast is the key.
HTH. If not, PM me
All the best
Trent

Well here is my first critique since the shameful discovery of my infected beer for the swap. Firstly a big sorry to all, but I can guarentee that you aren't as dissappointed as i am. Guess I should of sampled before submitting... I can honestly say though that it is the first noticable infection i have ever had which makes it even worse that it was a batch i was really looking forward to getting feedback for.

Anyway to the review.

Not sure the number but it had SH (from memory) on the lid. Consumed 2 nights ago.

Poured a nice dark colour with perfect dense brown head. I love a dark beer that holds a tan head throughout. I malt was quite roasted/toasted in flavour with a viscous feel to it. I was suitably impressed by the carbonation of this one and the colour was a lovely deep red around the edges when held to light. Was in my opinion a pretty straight down the line black. Definately a nice beer that was focussing on malty mouth feel. Nice beer
Lee

16 - Head's IRA

Deep copper in colour, bordering on brown with a nice red hue when held up to the light. The clarity was very good and the small head lasted well. Sweet malt aromas dominate, mingled with some earthy hops and a slight yeast character. The flavour is big and malty, plenty of caramel and toffee flavours with a nice dose of restrained roast towards the back. The sweet and fullish but finishes dry, thanks to the bitterness and the little bit of roast. I'd suggest that the beer could be a little thinner and a little less bitter to be closer to style. The carbonation is bang on. Great beer thanks Head, very clean and well made, the bottle disappeared way too fast.

I'd suggest that the beer could be a little less better to be closer to style.

Scott
You had wanna watch out saying things like "a little less better". Head will think that you liked his beer too much (either that, or that you really dont think much of the style), and even worse, Les the grammar pedant will give you a verbal bollocking for incorrrect use of the english languge :lol:
Trent

Arrgh, typo! Thanks Trent, gotta avoid the wrath of Les and Keith. :lol: :lol:

#3 Goat's Imperial Pils

Mate, I'm a fan! Poured a nice straw colour with some chill haze that cleared as it warmed. Big fluffy head, long lasting. Sweet malt on the nose, slight alcohol notes. Taste is big on cereal, slightly sweet but well balanced with the hops.

I will have to try Southern Cross hops, as the flavour was not something I have run across before. Very nice! This is a beer for drinkin' - one of my favourites from the case. Probably too sweet to do well in competition as a pils, but a fine contibution. Thanks Goat!

21 - Pok's Golden Ale

Well, it's plenty golden with great clarity. The head poured OK but didn't stick around long. There is a lovely fruity aroma, grapefruit and passionfruit. Nice. The fruity hop theme follows into the flavour, falling away into slightly sweet and thinnish malt with a crisp bitterness at the end. A well made and very easy drinking beer thanks Pok, much enjoyed.

Arrgh, typo! Thanks Trent, gotta avoid the wrath of Les and Keith. :lol: :lol:

Ahhhhhhhhh The AHB gods have answered my prayers.

Finally someone else to make a typo worth commenting on :)

may all our beers be a bit less better :p

cheers

Ahhhhhhhhh The AHB gods have answered my prayers.

Finally someone else to make a typo worth commenting on

may all our beers be a bit less better

cheers
Tony,

I'll this one go with a warning, but I'm not just a pedant, I'm a parent too.
What that means is that my kids get in trouble for a "me too" comment. :lol:

Let he who is without syntax cast the first stone. B)

Les out :p

#8 Mark's Little Creatures BA Clone

I am delighted to say mine is infected... absolutely delighted! It smells like an Orval, and finishes just as dry. Light straw, brilliantly clear, thin body with little head. Slight rubbery aftertaste.

Yeast from this one has gone straight into quarantine in the yeast bank for my next funky beer. You were cleaning this bottle near that funky barrel in the shop weren't you ;-)

Beautiful, even if it wasn't intended!

Well picked up, Stuster
We shall never let Les live this one down. maybe Keith can come and mete out the chastising!
T.

ooo i feel like the heat has been lifted

21. Pokolbinguy - JSGA Clone

For a K&K beer, this is a great result. Lovely amber colour, good carbonation/head retention, slight fruity aromas & taste. Just enough bittering from the hop additions. Very close to the Golden Ale it's trying to clone.

The Grolsch bottle & label are a nice touch. Thanks Brett.

Back to business, after my brief flirtation with tryin' to whip U losers into shape re grammar 'n' spelling. Lost cause.. :(

Tasting MHB's LCBA clone. Quite clear, but just short of bright (yep, I'm still a pedant). Hoppy, bitter and tasty. Gone.

Better get some more into my glass. Aaah, that's the ticket!

The thin body juxtaposed against the medium-large bubbles and the attendant carbonic bite.

A little soapy, perhaps. I think I detect brewing salts, maybe carbonate, but maybe I have my hand on it... <_<

The dryness, it keeps calling me back for another sip. I resist and guzzle instead.

Hop flavour is grapefruity. There is balanced malt and big drinkability here. Big slug, swallow, gone. :rolleyes:

Les out :p

21. Pokolbinguy - JSGA Clone

For a K&K beer, this is a great result. Lovely amber colour, good carbonation/head retention, slight fruity aromas & taste. Just enough bittering from the hop additions. Very close to the Golden Ale it's trying to clone.

The Grolsch bottle & label are a nice touch. Thanks Brett.

Hahaha the only reason you scored a grolsch bottle is for some reason one of the largie bottles broke in half.

Good to hear you enjoyed the beer.

Back in aus on friday...can't wait to crack my first swap beer :D

Pok

Back