Hag Brew Day At Potters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same as all the others
Thanks HEAPS to Mark, David and Scotty for getting this all up and running, I had an absolute blast. Look forward to doing it again soon. The beer at Potters is also quite good, and they have a Shiraz Red Ale (aged in an oak shiraz barrel) that is apparently gonna be released in a few weeks, sounds delicious. Maybe we should do another trip for that :D Great to also meet so many other brewers.
Sorry you missed it, Gough, maybe next time. At least the Knights won! And all those delicious Belgian beers at the BJCP. What a bloody weekend.
All the best
Trent

With so much willing labour it was hard to dig-out by myself at 9am this morning ...

Mark, thanks for organising the day and for bringing such willing and fun company with you. I hope the bus trip had a wizzer in board, Dave and I were wondering how many pee stops you guys would have had.

Till next we mash,

Scotty

nnlbeersupplies.com.au

Yep - I agree thanks to Mark, Scotty and dave for a great day.
Lets do it again...............soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With so much willing labour it was hard to dig-out by myself at 9am this morning ...

Mark, thanks for organising the day and for bringing such willing and fun company with you. I hope the bus trip had a wizzer in board, Dave and I were wondering how many pee stops you guys would have had.

Till next we mash,

Scotty

nnlbeersupplies.com.au

Guys,

Thanks Mark, Dave and Scotty for a top day, there were no pee stops on the bus trip Scotty(Mark was concerned if we got off the bus we might find a pub and never come back :p ). I cant wait for the next outing.

Brian (yeah I think thats me in the middle with an empty glass looking at the bar area :eek: )

It's almost embarrassing having your photo taken in a room full of guys who can only handle a 6oz glass of beer at a time...... :p

Sorry it had to be said. ;)

Brent

Well if that was the only embarrassing moment it had to be a good day ! The big glasses came out once the work had been done.

My thanks go to all the guys who made the effort to be there on the day, and to show such interest in what Mark, Scotty and myself are doing.

Speaking of Mark - here is a pic showing the crucial role he played on the day.

Dave

is that a gun in your pocket weizguy or are you just happy to see everyone?

:)

cheers
Tony,

As Brent advises, I have a saison, or at least half a saison (if you don't mind me calling it that). Notice that I wasn't letting go.

The day was great, yesterday. Great beer, great company, great weather (seemed like it to me - not too cold, not too warm).

I collected my Bohemian lager (no-chill) wort this arvo, and collected one for Stephen as well. I heard that Stephen was unfit for work today, so I decided to help out a fellow brewer, while he's down. He collected it this evening.
Could be a little while until the fridge is available to ferment the wort from the HAG day, as I need to lager a rauchbier for about 4 weeks. It'll be soon enough, and in plenty of time for Summer guzzling, off the tap.

Keith was wearing his "Wingman" shirt. Several of us noted that the 'BRE" prefix lettering had rubbed off.

Thanks again to Borret for the saison sample. A bonus Berliner and Danish II lager yeast culture are heading your way soon.
As for me, I'm dry tonight, apart from a taste of a partially fermented Yeastlabs Pils starter, made on 2 litres of wort tapped off from a previous jerry of my no-chill German pils.

For those who weren't there, Bigfridge's pic is of Mark gleefully adding the flameout hop addition. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it was 1.5 kg aromatic Hallertau Mittelfrueh pellets. Mmmm, customised freshwort beer pack bulk buy!
MHB, can U post the recipe?

Seth out :p

For those who weren't there, Bigfridge's pic is of Mark gleefully adding the flameout hop addition. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it was 1.5 kg aromatic Hallertau Mittelfrueh pellets. Mmmm, customised freshwort beer pack bulk buy!

MHB, can U post the recipe?

Seth,

The recipe for the batch was malted barley, hops and water. You supply the yeast of your choosing.

Sorry, can't be any more specific than that. ;-)

David

Follicular challenged could of been the theme of the day. But what a top day. Thanks to all involved, once again MHB has come thru.

ps. Just a note, a couple of large bottles of beer and a Stein found its way onto the bus home. If anyone is missing said items, I returned them on Monday morning to Luke at Potters.

MHB

This thread is really lacking some photos: Don't have to be landscapes - though, apparently my forehead seems to have a lot of landscape!

Regards

Stephen

Just wanted to extend my thanks to people that I missed first time round.

I should have, of course, mentioned both Dave and Scotty from NNL. They were champions, and patiently putting up with us for the entire time was well above the call of duty.

And how I could have neglected thanking Josh (from Potters). His time, patience and generosity were very much appreciated by everyone <_<

Thanks.

I too want to see more photos.

Bring them on!

Happy brewing,

Keith

I must second your notion of thanks for David, Scott and the ever smiling, continual beer serving Josh. A top job on top of all the other general beery discussion of the Day.

I must also thank Scott for the 'Drivers Pack' ;) Twas much appreciated. :)

Now I know you said the Recipe is classified David but can we know end of boil sepcifics?.. I think you said the concentrated wort was 1057 for the 17L on the day. What are the estimated IBU's and desired gravities (..target volume) for this brew after we dilute it.
My starter is all fired and ready to go but thought I'd ask before proceeding (probably tommorow).

Thanks again

Brent

Thanks all for the feedback; it was a great day and more to follow.

The finishing hop was 1.5 Kg of Hallertau Hallertau Mittlefruh, if you think I was going to miss the chance to upend that into 600 Litres of boiling wort, you would be mistaken.
The aroma was sensational.

As for the recipe no I won't be posting that, for two reasons.
I dont know all the details.
Commercial recipes dont translate directly.

Scotty and David brew for a living (well they will be soon), pro-brewers dont usually give out recipes and truth be told I didnt ask them, we just discussed the target values.

All I can tell you is:-
Base Malt was IMC Pilsner; this is made, from what I hear, to the Heineken specification.
There is some colour, possibly CaraPilis and maybe some CaraMunich 1 or 2 (thats a guess).

The wort is designed to be diluted from the cubes (16L dilutes to 22.5L) ~4.5% ABV with a target bitterness of 29 IBU. Adding water to only give 21 litres yields a beer with approximately 5.0 % alcohol and 31 IBU, made up of:-

100g Alpha Acid from 4.9% Hallertau (2Kg); Bittering addition at -60
67g Alpha Acid from 4.5% Hallertau Mittlefruh (1.5Kg); Late addition at -10

The wort from the kettle was 1058. The mash was on the cooler side (those that were watching the thermometer on the control board should know it was about 6C out). With a reasonably attenuative yeast the FG should be 1006-1010 giving ~4.5 - 5% ABV depending on yeast and dilution.

The wort was boiled with Hop Based Antifoam added at the start, Whirflock at -10 when the whirlpool was started.

It really is a very orthodox Bohemian Lager; we chose this beer because I just happened to have some extremely nice Hallertau that needed a good home.

The CD with pictures from the day can be collected from the shop; if you have any good pictures of the day please e-mail them to me. Mine from late in the day appear to have all become blurry and out of focus. :p

MHB

Thanks Mark,

I pitched mine last night with a large starter of Wy Danish II (thanks Les for the culture) and brought the volume upto about 22ish litres, so including the starter wort I should come out with a slightly bigger beer. Fingers crossed for success.

Has anyone else thrown yeast at theirs yet?

Brent

Brent

Picthed my wort pack last Wednesday using the S23 that Mark supplied. Thought I'd give it a go as is and then maybe sample others that used different yeasts to see the difference.

Regards

Stephen

Latest posts

Back