Gypsum

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry another question, if I use the pH5.2 buffer to adjust the mesh water do I need Gypsum?
I thought the reason for adding gypsum was not only to adjust the pH but also to enhance the hop utilisation; should I be sweet just using the pH5.2 buffer?

Cheers
AC

Hi AC, up to you mate - my ph is perfect (tank water) but i still like the effect of adding gypsum, which I do to most brews.

cheers Ross

Ross,

I'm on tank water, how much Gypsum do you add and at what stage?

Do you add anything else?

Rook

Ross,

I'm on tank water, how much Gypsum do you add and at what stage?

Do you add anything else?

Rook

1 teaspoon to the mash. I also like to add 1 teaspoon of salt to the boil. i add yeast nutrient as well, since the tank water is a little lacking in the yeast department.

cheers Ross

Sorry another question, if I use the pH5.2 buffer to adjust the mesh water do I need Gypsum?
I thought the reason for adding gypsum was not only to adjust the pH but also to enhance the hop utilisation; should I be sweet just using the pH5.2 buffer?

Cheers
AC

Thats it AC, gypsum is calcium sulphate and the mash ph is dropped because of the calcium but the sulphate is used the help bring out hop character.

The makers of 5.2 still recommend adding water salts as you would normally for flavour additions when adding 5.2 to the mash. Charlie Talley form 5 Star is on one of the brewing network shows talking about their sanitizers but I think there is also a little section on 5.2.

Dragging an old thread back to life.

I've run out of Gypsum and haven't used it in the last few batches, so my first question how will not having it affect the beer?

I tried three different HBS locally none have it, I'll be buggered if I'm driving all the way to Brisvegas just for Gypsum, also tried the local pharmacy no luck; where else can I try? Do Bunning really sell the stuff, that is suitable for brewing?

Cheers
AC
[/quote

hi, the pharmacy might know gypsum by its chemical name of calcium sulphate and have it in b.p. grade.

an online brewshop such as grain and grape would post you some.

i presume you are using it for ph in your brew.

using the industrial grade as plaster of paris might be o.k. but do you want to take any risks?

cheers

Latest posts

Back