GUTEN

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[
For the crust on top of the element I use a non scratch scourer with vinegar gets it off with a bit of elbow grease (Don’t forget to give a good rinse) but I have noticed that it comes back a bit once dry

I think I got it all out tonight with PBWash, but it is so dark now, that I am not sure. I will definitely keep this idea in mind, as it could probably save me a lot of heartache in the future!

It would be wise to calibrate the temperature, no good doing it in the grain, the temperatures will be all over the place like a mad woman's shit.
Follow the instructions in the manual.

Fair call. I did not calibrate the temperature, because in the manual it was not listed as a step to perform in auto mode , or manual mode. Nevertheless, there is a small section to say how to do it. This is good advice Weal, thank you.

Now that I read the manual again, I also notice that it says not to run the pump during the boil. However, like people I have seen on youtube, I have been doing so for the last 15 minutes, and during the chill for recirculating.

Have you guys noticed any problems in doing this? I am thinking I will have to stop doing it, and stir manually whilst chilling, or hook up my March pump.

Been using my counterflow and whirlpool arm post boil a lot in the 50 now the 70 with no issues.

Ha, yeah I'm surprised that the high temp version wasn't specced in the first place. Can't imagine it'd be more than a few dollars extra for those little ones.

I'm pretty sure you could find one cheap on AliExpress in lots of one.

Ha, yeah I'm surprised that the high temp version wasn't specced in the first place. Can't imagine it'd be more than a few dollars extra for those little ones.

I'm pretty sure you could find one cheap on AliExpress in lots of one.
I have seen the MP10 RN on AliExpress but it wasn't so cheap, I tried whirlpooling the pump just got blocked so I just swirl the immersion chiller around occasionally. Probably wasn't specced initially as the whirlpool arm came after.
I think it could be gotten away with, doesn't take long for the temperature to drop to 80 C it would just be prolonged running in boiling wort that could distort the housing of the pump.

I have seen the MP10 RN on AliExpress but it wasn't so cheap, I tried whirlpooling the pump just got blocked so I just swirl the immersion chiller around occasionally. Probably wasn't specced initially as the whirlpool arm came after.
I think it could be gotten away with, doesn't take long for the temperature to drop to 80 C it would just be prolonged running in boiling wort that could distort the housing of the pump.

I would be concerned that if one waits until the temp is below 80 to whirlpool, that there is a chace of infection. (Not likely, but certainly possible)

Is the MP10 RN the same size? would it just be a bolt in replacement? I wonder what thread is right, BSP or NPT. The cost does not seem to be huge, but the shipping is a killer.

Last edited:
I would be concerned that if one waits until the temp is below 80 to whirlpool, that there is a chace of infection. (Not likely, but certainly possible)

Is the MP10 RN the same size? would it just be a bolt in replacement? I wonder what thread is right, BSP or NPT. The cost does not seem to be huge, but the shipping is a killer.
I wouldn't be overly worried, after putting the immersion chiller in, and getting that going switch the pump on you will be almost at 80 by then.
MP10 RN will fit perfectly, that's what you have now. Or should have.

The mp15 is twice as big physically as the mp10, I suspect you'll struggle to squeeze it in without moving the mount point and redoing the plumbing. Good pump though and will certainly handle the boil.

The mp15 is twice as big physically as the mp10, I suspect you'll struggle to squeeze it in without moving the mount point and redoing the plumbing. Good pump though and will certainly handle the boil.
Oh wow..you are right!
Well. The way I see it is that I can always replumb the thing if I need to, and this would be good for a hermes thing. Right now I only have 1 march pump, and I could possibly make the guten act like a part of a hermes setup if I felt like it.
I will be doing the calibrating that WEAL recommended later this week. I still need to learn how to use this thing and keep stable temps.

Today I am brewing a smaller beer, with only a target of 1.062 FG. I also chose to treat it like a typical BIAB with no sparge. The Guten seems to really like a thin mash. The temps were fairly stable, and I stirred every 10 mins or so.
Now to wait and see what kind of efficiency I get :)
What efficiency do you folks tend to get with no sparge on the Guten?

Today I am brewing a smaller beer, with only a target of 1.062 FG. I also chose to treat it like a typical BIAB with no sparge. The Guten seems to really like a thin mash. The temps were fairly stable, and I stirred every 10 mins or so.
Now to wait and see what kind of efficiency I get :)
What efficiency do you folks tend to get with no sparge on the Guten?
My last brew just the other day I stirred every 10 -15 minutes now closer to 65%, it was a 90 minute mash and 20 minute mash out. Stirring definitely makes a difference it has on my last three brews anyhow.

My last brew just the other day I stirred every 10 -15 minutes now closer to 65%, it was a 90 minute mash and 20 minute mash out. Stirring definitely makes a difference it has on my last three brews anyhow.

That is a reasonable efficiency. I actually did not raise the temp for the mash out either. I should have done that. I would have gotten a bit higher if I did. Right now, it is looking like 57.2. I won't hit my numbers, but I reckon it will still be tasty, assuming I hit 1.045 after the boil

I do double batches with minimal sparging (full volume doesn't always fit) and I generally get around 70%.

Latest posts

Back