GUTEN

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leyther said:
Out, you cant see the markings with it in.
Checked the markings basket in, weighed out 10 litres of water, put in a piece of dowel and marked the dowel at the watermark about 15mm difference between the dowel and the pressing, so the same conclusion as leyther, so around 11.5mm per litre. Not a big deal, just have to use a rule to get the volume of water.

So Im trying to figure out Beersmith so that I can actually use it to brew with for a change. What water to grist ratio have people been using for the Guten. I put 3.2 into the mash profile. Im a biaber remember so I have no idea about sparging or grist /water ratio's...or Beersmith really.

wide eyed and legless said:
So I tried a bigger grain bill in the Guten unit, 6.6 kilo, I have downloaded the Grainfather instructions but decided I would make a thinner mash, dead space in the Guten is 2.5 litres, using the calcs for the Grainfather 2.7 x 6.6 + 2.5 (3.5 on GF) =20.32 but filled up to 25 litre mark, mashed in and could see the first problem, I was only just under the overflow pipe, wasn't keen on liquor going down the overflow so stuck a piece of silicon hose into the top of the overflow pipe being careful to keep the height of the hose under the malt pipe lifting holes.
This worked so all the mash liquor is draining through the grain bed, second problem I wanted to give the grain a stir, paused the op but as soon as I went to take of the top mesh some husks came out. Decided to give that a miss and carried on, end of the mash sparged with 9 litres of water, giving me a roughley 28 litre boil volume pre boil gravity came in at 1.052 predicted using a 70% efficiency was 1.051 gave a 1 hour boil no chilled ended up with just under 24 litres in fermetor overshot again, am going to have to make a measuring stick, 2litres of trub left in the unit and OG came in at 1.062 predicted 1.063.
So efficiency is nothing to worry about, the other thing I was concerned about was residual sugar coating the bottom of the unit, I had read with the Grainfather to keep scraping the bottom of the unit to prevent any build up but when emptied found everything to be sound, easier to clean than the BM so happy with the purchase.

attachicon.gif
008.JPG
Clear wort
attachicon.gif
009.JPG
Trub
Depends on the thickness of the mash your after Nosco, download the Grainfather users instructions and adjust.

Cheers WEAL. Im just reading up on mash thickness now then Ill get the GF instructions.

Im going to try this bazooka set up. I already had one so i picked up another one and the T peive today. Im brewing Sunday so ill run some water throught it tomorrow. The one that came with the Guten is alot finer than these ones so hopefully they domt let too much through. I got the (small) immersion chiller with it but ill probably cube the first brew so i can get a good whirlpool going.

1496409648527.jpg

Ill test it with 25g of hops into my Hefe on Sunday. Im thinking about getting one for my big brew pot anyway. Whats the rough outside diameter of the spring WEAL?

Sorry bad description. I was asking how big is the circle that the coil/spring makes?

Edit: but then you might not know that until you het one.

nosco said:
Sorry bad description. I was asking how big is the circle that the coil/spring makes?
This it what it looks like in the Ace / Guten nosco, but you can shorten them.(watch the video after "YEAH")

We have 2 members of our club with a Grainfather WEAL, they want to know if they will fit in there, and if they do can I order 2 more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psVrphoMKqg

WEAL.,
are you in a position to make these lauter hex devices available as an on going concern or is it just a one off bulk buy? I ask as I have a few systems I could see this doing some really great work. And as work goes I don't really want to have to redo the great work you have done chasing down everything that goes with tracking down and importing a product here. I'd probably be behind on the price anyway. As with all brewers I'm half way between 3 ... OK call it 5 (don't tell the boss) projects, so this is not something on the cards before xmas but I REALLY NEED this for some other developments outside of our discussions on this site(think bourbon drinking missus with gun to my head).
feel me??

Love yer work

MJ

nosco said:
Ill test it with 25g of hops into my Hefe on Sunday. Im thinking about getting one for my big brew pot anyway. Whats the rough outside diameter of the spring WEAL?
Interested to see how you go, my last one only had 20g of hops and it blocked.

m&bb, yes they will fit the Grainfather, though not with the tee piece their bazooka is fastened with silicone and as these helix pieces (providing they come in at the sizes I requested) will also fit into copper capillary fittings like a finger in a bum, so no big deal to fit using silicone tubing.

mj, providing everything works out it could be on going, the price will be right, and there are a lot of Ace micro's out there.

mattyh, not a problem with the Robobrew, they are exactly the same fittings as the Guten / Ace, also no problem with the Braumeister.

Anyone else had troubles with the pump getting stuck? Its happened to mee twice now. Once with a test a ones today. I dont like the chances of using it post boil or during a boil to get a whirlpool happening.

Latest posts

Back