GUTEN

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished off the hood today, can't wait for the tee pieces to arrive to test "Ole Snakey" in the Guten, will be setting it up different to Magic Pancake's set up, confident it will work just as well as it did in the Braumeister.
I would like to put a jacket around it, but it's just sooo shiny
001.JPG

Your not worried about DMS then? Ill see if I can hunt down a stainless bowl that size. What did you use for the cylinder?

Not at all worried about DMS, I have a similar setup on my BM I don't know if you have boiled with yours yet nosco but the 2500w is more than enough to get a vigorous boil going, so I can drop the wattage with a hood still get evaporation. Plus filtering through the helix eliminates almost all the trub from going into the fermenter.

This was the last of my runnings from the BM using the helix
012.JPG

Got the helix, (helixes?) waiting on the tee pieces but now I have had a good look at them and how good the helix worked on the BM, I think there will be a better way of utilising the helix, I will check out the plumbing fittings at Reece today.

Fitting the helix a little differently than magical pancake, not a lot of room under the tap but I want to get as much wort out as possible with a syphoning effect, will be giving it a try shortly.
001.JPG

Looks good, interested to see what the flow through is like, the helix looks quite tightly coiled. So how exactly have you connected it?

Well comparing the two as I have it in the BM and in the Guten.
001.JPG 003.JPG
There is not a great deal of difference in the tightness of the coil, and when you get your helix Leyther if you run it as magic pancake did his with the horse shoe shape, I am sure you will think the gap between the coils to be to wide, plus the fact he used hop flowers not pellets would make a difference to his set up.
012.JPG Final running with no hop sock taken from the BM

Just setting up my recipe for this weekends brew, I use Beersmith and in the past I have used Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge as the Mash Profile. I was reading somewhere recently that these 1V systems are a sort of BIAB hence wandering if I should switch to that. Only problem with the sparging is I dont have a pot to heat a large amount of sparge water in, hence its the hot tap (~50C) mixed with some boild water for a just about correct temp.

Never had any issues with sparging however I've started to look at water adjustments and Beersmith is calculating the adjustments on the full volume i.e. 35L hence more suitable to BIAB otherwise I have to break down the adjustments into boil and sparge amounts which in the middle of a brew day is a bit of a PITA.

Interested what others with the Guten tend to do?

Attached is my weekend brew plan with BIAB Medium body. This is a Clone of Firestone Walker Union Jack, the water adjustments are based on Melbourne SE water against BruNWaters Hoppy Pale Ale profile.

Leyther
UnionJackIPA.png

Be interesting to see how you go with that one, I had a bad brewday yesterday, tried the Guten with 800g of crushed maize, have made this recipe before (Bass Pale Ale) the mash got stuck twice, transferred to the BM which I had made the Bass in before and had the same problem. Got 3 large bags of rice hulls which I use as a growing medium in hydro but because I managed without them before never used them. Worst day ever, a load of trub which was mainly gluten I suspect, but lesson learned.

All plugged in ready to rock, thanks mate, little tricky to connect it up it kept wanting to be a snake and tie itself up but only 5 mins of man handling and all set, I reckon will be big improvment on the bazooka.

Thanks WEAL

Attachments

• IMG_helix.jpg
    IMG_helix.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 147
A better brew day today, sailed through it, no sparge method dough into full volume, step mash regime, 75 minute boil, hops straight in no safety net results as good as with BM using the helix, really impressed with this simple method easy to clean as well.
The boil.
005.JPG

The trub
008.JPG

End result cold break just starting to form.
009.JPG

Hi WEAL
That's all pretty impressive.
Do you have any of the spring spirals left or are they all accounted for and if the latter do you have contact details of where/who you sourced them from in China
I have a 20lt Braumeister and would be keen to source one for use with that machine

Cheers

Wobbly

Those springs look pretty sweet, where do you got them from? What are they usually referred to as or used for?

Edit: Are they extension springs? Can gett shorter ones off ebay, a 1m one would be better.

Last edited:
Hi WEAL
That's all pretty impressive.
Do you have any of the spring spirals left or are they all accounted for and if the latter do you have contact details of where/who you sourced them from in China
I have a 20lt Braumeister and would be keen to source one for use with that machine

Cheers

Wobbly
I have a few left Wobbly I have the 20 litre BM, if you like I can fit it up to slot straight in, just send me a PM and I will send you the details.
003.JPG

Ok, todays brew lesson, DONT do the full volume BIAB method!!!

The machine doesn't have enough volume for the full amount of water and grain, also if you do then kiss goodbye to the top of the malt pipe!!! Only saving grace was due to installing the helix I still had the bazooka which I had to place over the pipe to prevent the grains going down it, no chance to put the top plate on either so water just pumping straight into the mash just have to keep manually stirring it :-(

Got to love this game, every brew a new issue to solve :)

I have a few left Wobbly I have the 20 litre BM, if you like I can fit it up to slot straight in, just send me a PM and I will send you the details.
View attachment 106533
WEAL
There is obviously something amiss with my skills to navigate this new set up as I can't seem to find the link to send you a PM but I am definitely interested in getting one from you so if you can let me know payment details etc and if you are prepared to post it to me at my cost we can go forward

Cheers

Wobbly

Latest posts

Back