Guess The Hop

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tredog

Reaction score
Hey All,

I have some descriptions of hops flavour and aroma but do not know what they are. Are there any guru's out there that can guess the hop from some sketchy descriptions?

Smell

• Grass. Mild floral hops. Chamomile, barley. Clearly a lager
  • Grassy and grainy herbal aroma with some noticeable hop presence.
  • Mild biscuit mats, lager yeast.
  • Crisp and a bit grassy hop like. It is also floral but not too fruity. There is a trace of the malt in the smell but not much.

Taste

• Earth toned grainy profile with some pale malts and grassy hop notes. Pretty tasty, and actually complex for a euro pale.
  • Mild and easy, like a cheap lover. A citrus twist, with a hint of some sort of tropical fruit like guava.
  • Tastes initially of biscuit malt and finishes with mild leafy hop bitterness and suprising sweetness.
  • A little beany flavor and not as hoppy as the scent may lead you to think. All in all it is good though.
Cheers, Tae.

it might be easier to tell eveyone what beer you are trying to clone, someone may have already done their research and know which hop/hops to use!

EDIT: cnat spel

RR, he's trying to clone Tennant's Lager. I've got no idea of the hop as I've never drunk it. Those descriptions might not be specific enough to guess the hops, but given they call it a pilsner it might well be a light dusting of Saaz.

The combination of grassy/herbal/floral and citrus rang Saaz bells to my mind, but it could be a combination of something else noble and something citrus-y.

Made a D Saaz brew that had these characteristics, but what about a variety of Hallertau?

Edit: Typed wrong hop :beerbang:

Pacific Hallertau? Probably not what you're tasting, but might be a good sub.

Quite right about the tennents.

Really enjoyed in a pub in scotland in 2000. Was primary beer of choice. On tap was alot better than bottled/cans.

After reading everyones comments I think it might be a combination of saaz and Hallertau. Alternatively Hersbrucker?

What do people think a good order would be for those types of hops? I know I'm clutching at straws here but its worth a shot. Nothing like a homebrew experiment.

Cheers, Tae.

Plug Tennents lager clone into google. That way you can look at what other people have interpretted the hops as. PLus other suggestions for a recipe.

How any marketing person can describe a beer flavour as "cheap lover" has me stumped.

Google was my first port of call.

I was considerably surprised as I couldn't find any information outlining what people had done and for that matter that anyone had tried a tennents clone.

Hence trying to guess hops :eek:P

LOL! :lol:

Hard to have any respect for a brewery who IMO make the world's worst beer. The dreaded Tennent's Super. The most disgusting thing I've ever tasted in my life, believe me. :eek:

The lager is not much better.

Warren -

Disgusting how someone can come on here and reqest some help for a recipe only to be told that the beer they want is no good.

Watchya doin' Warren?

Hard to have any respect for a brewery who IMO make the world's worst beer. The dreaded Tennent's Super. The most disgusting thing I've ever tasted in my life, believe me. :eek:

Your saying it is worse than Westend drought, Eagleblue, super etc etc.......?

obvisously warrens never been to bimbo deluxe in brusnwick and tried their beer that they brew....just trust me on that one. :ph34r:

You can guess one thing easily: They'll be using a high-alpha bittering hop, with the last few harvests of noble hops coming in with woeful alpha levels. My guess would be Magnum or Millenium, if they use real hops at all (instead of isohop).
Aroma hops are the only ones you need to worry about.
It'd be interesting to try and bitter with the '07 Saaz that came in at <1% alpha...

MFS

obvisously warrens never been to bimbo deluxe in brusnwick and tried their beer that they brew....just trust me on that one. :ph34r:

Tennents doesn't have a high bittering aspect to it. Medium to low bitterness with mild hop aroma and flavour.

I understand that its not everyones beer which is fine. its something I like. Each to their own eh. So yeah help on the beer would be great.

Glad to know its not for everyone.

They brew their own beer?!? I've had some good commercial beers there, but judging by the state of the pizza's I've eaten there, I can only imagine that their beers are brewed with blatant disregard for the consumer. I'd love to be proven wrong though. The copious nang machines littering the windows are quite humourous mind you.

obvisously warrens never been to bimbo deluxe in brusnwick and tried their beer that they brew....just trust me on that one.

Your saying it is worse than Westend drought, Eagleblue, super etc etc.......?

What, worse than Super Dry, aka alcoholic soda?

Worse than Hammer and Tongs Draught? The beer that makes you feel hungover while drinking it, and worse when you stop, forcing you to continue???

Worse than Budweiser, the 'much-loved' Yank beer that posers buy for prestige and piss out in misery?

Surely not...

EDIT: Arsed up the quotes

Has this thread been edited?/Moderated?

A couple of my posts have dissapeared?

Anyone with some more ontopic helpful advice about these hops?

Latest posts

Back