Grundfos Pumps..?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poppa joe

Reaction score
Bought a couple of Grundfos brand pumps,Three speed ..About as big as a can of peaches..Made of brass and stainless Have about 20ml opening..Any use for these in brewing..?Have not tried them for anything yet.
ANYONE got any ideas..
Cheers
PJ

Know what sort of temp they can take, seal wise ?
Is he impeller plastic or brass/stainless as well ?

I have a reasonble amount of experience using these exact pumps and have a lengthy story to tell so better grab a beer. :chug:

Firstly these are hot water recycling pumps designed to pump hot water around. Don't quote me but I was told they are used in solar hot water systems to pump the water, not 100% sure of how the solar hot water system works so won't even try to go into it.

With my experience they do work but they will not last unless you use them nicely. Don't try to pump from way down low to way up high with them, it can work though if you make sure it gets primed and starts pumping ok, otherwise you can be in for a fire and burnt out pump if you just switch it on and either walk away or just stand there like a stunned mullet looking at it going but nothings happening.

So when using it make sure its pumping nicely and keep a eye on it. Also try not to pump up to high with it.
I had a couple that did work really well for awhile using them for recycling the wort through a heat exchange system during the mash and pumping through a wort chiller after the boil.

So I guess the moral of the story is be careful with it and don't try ask it to do what its not to designed to do and it will work perfectly. There a few brewers here that will tell you they we're there when one of my grundfos pumps caught fire at a all grain mash demo at a certain brewstore. Only real problem that day was the difference between how low to the ground the pump was and how high it had to pump to, also the right attention was not paid to making sure the pump was flowing proberly before just standing back and letting it go.

I guess those kind of rules for watching and treating a pump properly go for all pumps not just the grundfos.

Anyway I'am a little incoherent so don't know if I covered everything, if not shoot questions.

Alcohol fueled brewtality.
Jayse

EDIT PS here's a pic of one of mine, the one up top, also had one which was a gold colour but the very same, three speed grundfos.

brewery1009.jpg

The ghost of wort pump past!!!!:ph34r:

I saw it burn, but they used to burn witches at the stake, or should that be "steak".

From the recent BB day - not related to the above.
Ah! lets just sparge the sausages.:blink:

Cheers

I saw it burn, but they used to burn witches at the stake, or should that be "steak".

Cheers

Better check the date today dicko before upsetting any ghosts :unsure:

Cheers

Better check the date today dicko before upsetting any ghosts :unsure:

Big number on the 'devils bones" Jayse.

Also it would be my Dads birthday if he was still in our midst.
Brewin' a Porter for him tomorrow

Got to go to bed

Cheers

Jayse
Thats the pump , gold, Pulled one apart today..plastic impellor..Bought two at garage sale for 5 bucks.
Thought they may be handy someday..I have a 220 lt cherry barrel for rainwater(gravity fed and slow)
Thought may be handy for pumping the water.Just trying to get a few things together for later on with brewing.If no good make my money back on the brass..need a few fittings to set up yet.
Cheers
PJ

Jayse
Thats the pump , gold, Pulled one apart today..plastic impellor..Bought two at garage sale for 5 bucks.
Thought they may be handy someday..I have a 220 lt cherry barrel for rainwater(gravity fed and slow)
Thought may be handy for pumping the water.Just trying to get a few things together for later on with brewing.If no good make my money back on the brass..need a few fittings to set up yet.
Cheers
PJ

Jayse has covered pretty much everything about these pumps in his post above. Often used in hydronic heating systems and hot water boosting. The main problem is they are designed for use in a closed loop or similar system so they're not so flash at performing suction lift applications. The critical thing is to make sure you 'bleed' the pump via the big screw mounted on the back of the motor. It requires water back there for lubrication.

They're normally rated to pretty high temperatures (110oC from memory). and I guess thats about it. You can purchase unions for these pumps to make standard fittings easier to fit.

Cheers
Karl Koce
Process Pumps.

THANKS ..KARL...JAYSE..
Wondered what that screw does..?????
Put them in the corner of garage till I am ready for something to use them for??
cbeers
PJ

Hey Poppa Joe,

I used one just like that for awhile, ie a couple big 200 litre snowtown bodies in a barrel black drums and pumped it through the chiller and saved it, It worked very well but I got over the whole hippy tree hugging thing and went back to just hooking the mains tap up and running it onto the lawn. Certainly this pump can work like that and as many many possible applications in a brewery. So besure it can do what you want it to do and can be fitted into the brewery in many ways, too many ways infact to go into in my drunk state right now. Main point is don't try and make it do what it cant do, if you have it set up to do what it can do it will do it well.

Alcohol fueled brewtality.
Jayse

I have been using one of these for my brewing for a year or so now.

Its the davey equivilent.

Only thing i found about them is that they circulate the liquid they pump through the rotor in the motor to lublicate the bearings so if you leave sugary wort in it and it goes off it may infect the next brew.

I put a 10 liter idophur solution in my cleaned out mash ton after brewing and recirculate it for a while to clean the motor out.

other thing is they have a high flow rate and tend to compact the mash on the false bottom.

I throttle them down with the ball valve .

cheers

Back