Growing Hops In Vic

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iralosavic

Reaction score
I'm going to put my old lady up to growing some hops crops for me. She's an avid gardener and will be happy to oblige.

The question is, which varieties of hops are going to grow well in our Victorian climate and which are considered the staples of brewing (I'm still on my AG training wheels). I'm thinking I'll choose maybe 4 varieties for her to start with.

Any tips on soil preperation, PH, etc

Cheers,

I'm going to put my old lady up to growing some hops crops for me. She's an avid gardener and will be happy to oblige.

The question is, which varieties of hops are going to grow well in our Victorian climate and which are considered the staples of brewing (I'm still on my AG training wheels). I'm thinking I'll choose maybe 4 varieties for her to start with.

Any tips on soil preperation, PH, etc

Cheers,

For varieties I would probably start off with more of an aroma hop such as saaz or mt hood (these were both my 1st year varieties) due to the fact if you try and add bitterness with your home grown stuff its impossible to know the Alpha acid content and would be very hard to judge the amount to use.

For varieties I would probably start off with more of an aroma hop such as saaz or mt hood (these were both my 1st year varieties) due to the fact if you try and add bitterness with your home grown stuff its impossible to know the Alpha acid content and would be very hard to judge the amount to use.

Good point. I hadn't considered the fact that the biterness would vary compared to other crops of the same variety. I'll get her onto some saaz at least :D

Latest posts

Back