Growing hops in a pot - using wire mesh

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW as you can one of the plants was growing well, and then looked a bit stressed..
I think since weather has become hotter, but I did remove the drip trays as I thought it was getting water logged..
Should I use trays or not...? Wonder if it drying out too quick, but then I thought it might have been stale water an issue in the bottom?

No need for trays, or watering them morning and night at this point either. They don't like wet feet. I used the Searles premium potting mix in mine and they love it. I just water my potted Fuggle plant once a day at the moment, and it has grown a number of bines up the 2ish metre high mesh and has now just started throwing out laterals as well. The ones in my big planter boxes only get watered once every 2-3 days, but I might start giving them a daily drink now.

Thanks - Think I will have to re-pot, do recommend straw cover.?
Do you get full sun?

Trustyrusty said:
Hi Guys, thanks for the replies, starting to think a 50g of hops of your choice in a sealed air tight bag from LHBS might be the easiest :)
Bit late to the party here. Growing your own hops isn't necessarily a money-saving thing, more of a sub-hobby. Round about a crown's fourth year you may start getting amounts that trim some off your hops budget. But really, do it for the love of it. Hops are a long-term proposition.

Trustyrusty said:
Thanks - Think I will have to re-pot, do recommend straw cover.?
Do you get full sun?
They do get full sun most of the day yeah. The potted one a little less than the others due to where it is in the yard, but that doesn't seem to have affected its growth. I haven't got any mulch on mine but it is recommended yes.

Hops love sunlight hours hence they grow them in Tassie and South Island NZ in this hemisphere, anywhere with heaps of natural light will make them grow. I emptied a bag of "premium" potting mix I got from the big green shed on top of my plant as soon as I saw growth this year. I'd say watering 2 times a day is too much too.

The plants themselves will grow happily just about anywhere - the reason they grow them commercially where there are longer daylight hours is because they produce more flowers there than they do further north where the days are shorter.

But yeah either way, growing them at home isn't intended to save money, for me anyway. It's just a little side hobby for fun and if I can get enough off them to use in a batch or two then I'm happy. I got enough from my Hallertau plant earlier this year to use in a late boil addition, the resultant beer turned out really nicely too.

I have added new potting mix and starting to get growth back..

In fact there are a few shoots of both plants - so I might end up with a lot more growth...

Should I cut off the dead leaves? Prune back and just leave new growth..

Lesson learnt- don't use cheap mix...

cheers

Hi Guys, plants starting to go brown, is that normal this time of year.....

not one flower.... (new growth, 1st year)

When the plant dies off for winter do I just cut down to soil level or just leave as is...

Thanks

Its most likely normal. Mine are still green but I'm expecting them to start dieing off soon. Cut bines off at ground level.

Yup, mine are starting to die back too. The Hallertau has died off the most so far but now it's got new 'laterals' shooting out of the main bines. The Fuggle is slowly dying back and the Cascade is too but it's still got a lot of green growth on it.

I plan to cut them back about the start of May. Last year I cut them back too early and they started shooting again because the weather was still warm.

Latest posts

Back