Growing hops in a pot - using wire mesh

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trustyrusty said:
Yes I think you could be right, thanks

One of the hops, has been the same size for a month, came up out of the ground (or soil I mean) and saw the bad news and has gone to sleep :)

From what I've read, hops tend to shoot out and establish themselves for about a week (to the point where yours look like they're at) and then don't grow much for about 3 weeks, and then grow like crazy all of a sudden. That almost lines up with what you've said is happening.

In my first year of growing that's, more or less, what has happened for me. So I wouldn't worry too much. I used commercial soil mix (then added a bit of slow-release fertiliser) and I doubt that potting mix is going to be a problem for a plant that is extremely difficult to stuff up growing.

I planted 18 in proper ground and 1 in a pot. The potted one was planted a week after the other, yet it is now well ahead of the others. My pot is quite a bit bigger than yours though (about double the size).

EDIT: I also gave it some seasol every couple of weeks, as well as adding the slow-release fertiliser that I'd mentioned. The potted plant is getting full sun, loads of breeze. It's now waist-height. The other ones (in the ground) are mostly still under 10cm.

Yes, patience. It's only the start of October. I've also got some that have started growing then stopped for a few weeks. Last year I had them in pots with wire mesh, except I just had it attached to two stakes on either side of the pot and they were taller than that by about double. I used potting mix in the pots, along with a bit of chook poo and some Osmocote slow release fert. They did get more sun though, pretty well all day. They grew fine and I was able to brew a batch with the flowers from one plant earlier this year.

I left one of them in its pot this year, just swapped out the mesh screen for the one in the other pot not being used, and it has taken off like a rocket. Slowed a little now but still healthy.

I usually just water them once a day in the mornings before work at the moment. Will increase that when they start really going crazy.

Thanks Rocker1986, do have an image of the wire mesh set up, was it the same as mine, if you look back in the post, did you have any string at all or did it just grow up? I am think I might put some string around some of the mesh for a more natural feel... Do you have to train the plant to go up the first time or will it find it...? Lots of questions :)

In one of my pots the one side of the plant has a bit of brown in it, I am not sure if that is a problem or how they are? cheers

BTW felt the pot today in the sun - very warm, I put some alu foil around... Why are these pots black, surely I am not the first to have an issue, it must be too hot surely? thanks

Trustyrusty said:
Thanks Rocker1986, do have an image of the wire mesh set up, was it the same as mine, if you look back in the post, did you have any string at all or did it just grow up? I am think I might put some string around some of the mesh for a more natural feel... Do you have to train the plant to go up the first time or will it find it...? Lots of questions :)

In one of my pots the one side of the plant has a bit of brown in it, I am not sure if that is a problem or how they are? cheers
Yeah mate, I do. The first attached was taken last week of my second year Fuggle plant.

I had no string or anything in mine, just the wire mesh on the stakes. I did train them up a bit although I noticed with later growth that they just trained themselves so this year I've left it to find its own way. Not sure about the brown, I had a bine on my Hallertau plant last year show a bit of browning on its leaves too but it didn't seem to hinder it. Bloody thing took over the mesh by the new year. Found a pic of it from February too, second (f'n sideways :lol:) thumbnail.

This year I have just the Fuggles in the pot, I have my Hallertau and Cascade in large raised garden beds with singular line type trellises on them.

IMG_1010.JPG

IMG_0978.JPG

Thought I would share my hop growing experience thus far.
I planted my Red Earth rhizomes 2 years ago in a pot, without much success, mainly because my plants have been ravaged by grasshoppers, I have found that weekly doses of pyrethrum takes care of the pests. In the past I've also had inadequate drainage which meant the pooling water in the bottom of the pot went stagnant, it looked a lot like what your plants are showing there Trustyrusty, the leaves turned yellow and it wouldn't grow any further. For this season, I've moved the pot to a sunnier more open position and its showing great signs of life. Might even get a harvest this year.
I planted using a mixture of rich garden soil and horse manure for the bottom 2/3 and on top a bag of premium potting mix from the local sausage and bread supplier. All this is trial and error and for the first time it looks like I might get some results.
Great point about the pot getting too hot, I'll build a wooden planter box to insulate the pot.

Hi Guys, thanks for the replies, starting to think a 50g of hops of your choice in a sealed air tight bag from LHBS might be the easiest :)

That is the easiest not doubt, but it's a lot of fun to be able to grow them at home and use them in a batch or two each year too! :D

Conditions aren't always the best depending on your location or the way your yard etc. is set up though, unfortunately.

tedwardo said:
Thought I would share my hop growing experience thus far.
I planted my Red Earth rhizomes 2 years ago in a pot, without much success, mainly because my plants have been ravaged by grasshoppers, I have found that weekly doses of pyrethrum takes care of the pests. In the past I've also had inadequate drainage which meant the pooling water in the bottom of the pot went stagnant, it looked a lot like what your plants are showing there Trustyrusty, the leaves turned yellow and it wouldn't grow any further. For this season, I've moved the pot to a sunnier more open position and its showing great signs of life. Might even get a harvest this year.
I planted using a mixture of rich garden soil and horse manure for the bottom 2/3 and on top a bag of premium potting mix from the local sausage and bread supplier. All this is trial and error and for the first time it looks like I might get some results.
Great point about the pot getting too hot, I'll build a wooden planter box to insulate the pot.

When using pots horse manure may not be the best manure can have salts best to get aged compost and add sand Vermiculite zeolite bio char clay and added nutrients and fertilizer what you buy may be mixed badly.

BTW I think I used standard potting mix, seems to have a lot of bits of bark in it, so not sure how much soil content...
Could be high content of wood chips/ mulch? Is that a problem? I maybe should have mixed with sand, water content might not be holding.... I have got the foil around the pots and cool to touch..could help....

Also on the balcony there are white blinds in the window, that I closed to make a bit more reflection as in heat and light when it was cold, I have adjusted to not reflect - could have got too hot? cheers

You've gotta bear in mind that it is only October too, I wouldn't expect them to be shot up all over the mesh yet anyway; even though my Fuggle plant is going well, it's nothing like what it will get to by the height of the growing season. Last year they didn't start taking over the mesh like in the photo I posted last night until about mid-late January. Even in December they were still just singular bines growing up the mesh. Then all of a sudden they went crazy and grew everywhere. FWIW I never put foil around my pots either, although I did intend to. Just never got around to it.

If you make sure the plant is watered properly, fertilised properly and the pot can drain well, then you shouldn't have any issues with them growing. Maybe the potting mix wasn't the greatest, I'm not sure. I used the Searles premium one in my pots.

Update also I added the trays under the pots, because I thought the soil was draining to quickly, it might be drying out, i thought that might keep a bit of water as a reserve, but actually since I did that one side of the plant has gone bad, so I have removed... cheers

IMG_2508-1.JPGIMG_2509.JPG

Hi Guys,

Few months later, clinging on to life...
Any ideas...?
They came up pretty quick, soil must have be ok..
Water morning and evening, pot draining...

They had afternoon sun before but I moved to morning sun where I have some tomatoes which are going fine...
Something not right, I have put foil around bottom to keep cool, I wonder if the top area is too hot.
I did not fill to the top as I thought that would be a buffer for the wind when it was small? if they started going ok now would it be too later for a full harvest?

Thanks

This is first year growth right? Usually that's when the roots will establish. Mine took off in the first few weeks but I haven't had any further growth in the last 2 weeks. I think they'll go dormant now for a while before taking off again. Patience and persistence my friend. My biggest problem at the moment is pests. Although your leaves aren't looking too happy.... anyone else want to weigh in?

Yea. It shouldn't yelled much in the first year, the energy goes into establishing the root system. Although in my experience there's more growth than that.
The colouring of the leaves is a cause for concern. I'd say the plants in stress. I'm learning as I go along. I think a dose of seasol and a mulching over the top to protect the soil will help. Wynnum1 and rocker1986 might be able to weigh in with some good advice. Have you used a fertiliser?

Mine stopped growing about 2 weeks ago. The initial growth was really quick, now it's slowed to a snails pace. I built a box to go around the outside which I'm yet to finish, but that should help insulate it during the summer.
I had an influx of leaf suckers that damaged the lower leaves. I'm treating it with pyrethrum weekly to keep them at bay. I've still got a healthy growth up top. I've also trimmed the runners and any new lower growth to allow the plant to focus on the upper development.
Keeping in mind that this is my 3rd year of growth at the moment. Its been neglected and left to the grasshoppers the last 2 but the root system has developed over this time.
Keep at it.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thanks yes I think the boxes and mulch or straw might help to keep soil moist and cool. I guess generally hops for cool climates...?

Trustyrusty said:
BTW I think I used standard potting mix, seems to have a lot of bits of bark in it, so not sure how much soil content...
Could be high content of wood chips/ mulch? Is that a problem? I maybe should have mixed with sand, water content might not be holding.... I have got the foil around the pots and cool to touch..could help....

Also on the balcony there are white blinds in the window, that I closed to make a bit more reflection as in heat and light when it was cold, I have adjusted to not reflect - could have got too hot? cheers
"standard potting mix" Not sure what the standards are but they can put waste products in that you would not like to use like used sandblasting sand and landfill leachate as long as in small amount would be looking for a good do it yourself mixture things like vermiculite perlite zeolite biochar sphagnum moss peat moss coconut fibre and sand its all about holding water and having the right ph anyone got a good mixture.

Thanks, can anyone recommend a potting mix or custom mix of soils, I used a standard mix but may have had a bit of sand for water retention? Cheers

Latest posts

Back