Growing hops in a pot - using wire mesh

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trustyrusty

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have garden pot with a single fence stake holding up some wire mesh that is designed for nailing to a wall or fence for creeper plants. The wire goes around the pot half way. Tapers a little at the top but not quite a cone shape. Do you think that will work or does it need to be long single strings - zig zagged. There is plenty area for plant to latch on to. ........thoughts ?

Thanks

Untitled-1.jpg

it's going to want to grow much higher than that. but a good start!

How tall is that brick wall? Maybe you could stick an eye bolt in it and run some wire from the pot to it.

It'll probably work but you might get better results with a taller setup. I'm only growing hops for the first time this year so others would probably know better than me.

I might add another wire piece on top - like a hat... :)
Wall is about same height where is it going, that was the production area out of the rain. This is my first year growing, so learning..

There is a nice north facing wall on the other side of rail, on top of the pergola, but that might next year's project, and some convincing... ;)
BTW whoever invented cable ties, hope they made a fortune cause they deserve it !

Definitely run some wires/string from the top of the mesh as high as you can.
My Hallertau and Goldings grew up and back down 3 metre high poles I had at the old place.

The 3 I have saved are struggling to survive after the move.
Hopefully they'll make it and bounce back next year :(

edit: Hops like to grow UP so the more height you can give them the better

I used poles that could be raised up to 3m when they got big with sisal strings for them to climb up.

I would do what others have said. Highest point of the wall install a hook and only use natural string, hops do much better if they can bind themselves and wire is not the best thing for this

Baling twine is used for tomatoes its cheap as there is a big market and very strong could be the cheapest to get..

Thanks - I actually have string that feels like it is made from paper, natural product, quite strong .. Do you think if I wrap some string around the mesh it will help? Have some of the string within the mesh that is...
Or have some straight line strings from the highest point to the bottom?

I have added more wire mesh, so is 2.5 or more higher..

cheers

(posted this reply in 2013)

You can take advantage of the hop plant's manic desire to grow upwards by using an adjustable trellis system.

Put an eye bolt in top of the stake (or barge board on roof, whatever) with long spool of twine threaded through. Hop plant climbs up the twine to the top. You then pull both the bine and the twine down together to the bottom leaving a new length of twine exposed for the plant to climb up. Repeat until season over.

Got the idea from an old BYO mag article for growing hops in pots but its also applicable for inground growing. http://byo.com/stori...s-in-containers

Benefits include easy harvesting (no ladders) and progressive picking.

Its only the growing tips that stress out wanting to grow upwards, the more mature parts of the plant don't really seem to care too much if they are upside down.

If you grow the hops in a pot in sunny position the pot may need protection from heating up and damaging the roots .

Hi Do you think I should remove the mesh and just have string lines, I have increased height...
I thought mesh would quite good, as in the wild before they were harvested I am sure they did not find dead straight trees?

Can entwine some string with the mesh?
More natural, I think I have sisal based string..
thanks

With the strings they need to be tied off at ground level if you get a windy day can pull on the base of the plant and cause damage and if the twine is too small can cut the plant.

Hi Guys
Image of my hops - I dont think going well, made a great start, I think they should be bigger by now, and colour too me is looking stressed?
Planted early August..
hops.jpg

I am not sure growing in pot is working,

Could be pot is too hot in the sun?
Not enough water - once or twice a day ...?
Too much water?
Not enough sun, gets full afternoon, not alot in the morning, on the balcony west facing..
Could it be not enough flowing breeze...

I dont really have another spot so I might have to abandon ...

thanks

I'm getting some rhizomes soon. Planning to start in pots then transplant into ground once I'm properly set up. Will this work ok?

Trustyrusty said:
Hi Guys
Image of my hops - I dont think going well, made a great start, I think they should be bigger by now, and colour too me is looking stressed?
Planted early August..
attachicon.gif
hops.jpg

I am not sure growing in pot is working,

Could be pot is too hot in the sun?
Not enough water - once or twice a day ...?
Too much water?
Not enough sun, gets full afternoon, not alot in the morning, on the balcony west facing..
Could it be not enough flowing breeze...

I dont really have another spot so I might have to abandon ...

thanks
What did you fill the pot with a lot of the commercial potting mixes are crap may be worth re-potting or find them a new home

Yes commercial mix, I think it was a good brand but..... what do you suggest using...?
Also would they need full sun all day, that is a worry for me I think? Although I have seen images of hops in gardens and they wont get all day sun...

I can't add pics on here anymore without url nonsense. Anyway. Hops in pots... we all know hops need height for prolific fruiting, but it has been my experience that rhizomes of all sorts also need some space to be rhizomes. I had hops in the ground for 6 years as well as trying various pots with no success. I recently moved and have kept 4 varieties. Two are in half barrels, the other two in raised beds that are almost the size of spud boxes. The half barrels and not-quite-spud-boxes are the kind of minimum sizes that I have had any luck with. I tried in black pots that would have been 40L-ish and they were no good. The half barrels are probably double that, and the spud boxes are even bigger. This is just my experience and others might have success stories, but I just don't think they will be happy in that pot for the same reason that lots of vegies and ornamental seem as though they SHOULD grow in pots, but simply don't.

Yes I think you could be right, thanks

One of the hops, has been the same size for a month, came up out of the ground (or soil I mean) and saw the bad news and has gone to sleep :)

BTW if you want to add pics, use FULL EDITOR - worked for me..

Hop rhizomes will have stored resources and when its planted will use that to start off must be something wrong with the soil.

Any ideas of what soil I should use, Bunnings has about 100 different types of potting mixes, not sure which one..
or a home made soil mix for potting? tx

Latest posts

Back