Group buy at Plasdene (Preston, VIC) - bottles, fermenters, cubes etc

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carniebrew

Brewvy baby, brewvy!
Reaction score
Not exactly a bulk buy, but I'm looking for a few fellow local home brewers to join in on a 'group buy' at Plasdene in Preston (VIC). Plasdene will only sell to the public if you spend a minimum of $120...and I'm only looking to buy about $40 worth of 500ml craft beer bottles.

You can see their range of products here: http://www.plasdene.com.au/category, basically they do bottles, fermenters, cubes, jars for yeast storage, crown seals, heaps of other stuff. I just don't need $120 worth at the moment.

Prices for bottles aren't exactly mind blowing, unless you're buying 1,000 of 'em. Last time I asked, in small volumes 330ml bottles were around 30c each (in packs of 12), and 500ml bottles were around 70c each (packs of 15). They also have 640ml bottles (that's the largest bottle IIRC).

Prices on other stuff looked pretty good, 20 litre and 25l HDPE cubes were about $8.50 & $10 respectively, 30 litre fermenters were about $12, 60l versions under $25.

If anyone's interested in stocking up, PM me and I'll see if we can get a few of us together, with the idea that we all meet down there on a Saturday morning, grab whatever we need and put it all through as one transaction to meet the $120 min.

And what's the price per 500ml at 1000? I'm in for some regardless, but could be in for a lot (200ish) if we can get the numbers and the price is a bit better.

I have a number of the 640ml bottles from Plasdene and have found them to be of high quality: much heavier than the 750s that commercial beer comes in.

I'd be interested in some cubes. I'm looking at buying 3 25l. Let me know if you're still going to do a BB.

Might be interested in one or two of those fermenters, primarily for grain storage. Can't seem to find the pricing though.

Mardoo said:
And what's the price per 500ml at 1000? I'm in for some regardless, but could be in for a lot (200ish) if we can get the numbers and the price is a bit better.
Last time I asked, the 500ml bottles were about 55 cents each for 1,000, so a lot cheaper. If we got enough people to split 1,000 of 'em then I'd take 100 or so myself. I was only going to get about 60 at the 70c price.

Spiesy, they don't publish pricing on their website, however you can just email your local Plasdene, give them the product codes of what you want to buy, and in what quantity, and they get back to you in a couple of days. In VIC the email is [email protected].

It sounds like this is on....shame it doesn't show these threads in the "Latest Posts" though, wouldn't be surprised if we picked up a few locals who don't subscribe to the BB forum. I could post it across in "Buy & Sell" maybe, and link to here? Not sure if that's against the rules though.

Still, even with 5 of us on board, it's not going to be hard to spend $120. I bet I'll think of more stuff I need once I know this group buy is on.

Simo and I both want some 640mls. About 100 each from memory. If anyone wants to jump in so we can get to 1000?

I think the problem is we need 1,000 of one type of bottle to get the bulk rate, i.e. 1,000 x 500ml, or 1,000 x 640ml. Although, if we're going in to buy 1,000 bottles in total, I guess I could hit them up for a better price.

I'm up for some either 500 or 640 if we can get a bulk lot. Somewhere around the 50 bottles if it's a multiple of 12 then 48 would be good.
I will let my brother know he was keen on some wine bottles too.

Here's some prices I got from them on various products back in February...they've no doubt changed since then, but it'll give you an idea. It's hard to read at first...but check the "Ordered" column...where that's a big number, such as 2,250, that's their bulk lot price. Where it's a small number, such as 12, that's their small volume price. So for example, the first price in plasdene1.jpg, they have the ex-gst price of 330ml amber glass lock neck stubbies as $239.45 per 1,000 (i.e. 24c each). Then in plasdene 2.jpg, the same bottle (278-AM) is shown as $354.23 per 1,000 (i.e. 35c each), when you buy 12 of them.

Looking at it again now, it seems the minimum order for the lowest price on items such as 500ml bottles might be 1,800, not 1,000 as I previously thought! So I doubt we're gonna get enough takers to hit the big discounts...but if there's a few people still keen even at the higher item prices, we can at least get to the min order total of $120.
plasdene1.JPG
plasdene2.JPG

@ 35c ea I still think it's a good price I'm happy to get involved. I live close to Preston and have a wagon so I can pick up some/all of the order if needed.

I haven't checked my fermentation fridge can fit one yet, but I'd be up for a 60L fermenter, if not a 30L.

For those interested, dimensions are:

Capture.PNG

I opened up some comms with Plasdene today, seeing if I can maybe get something bigger and longer term going with these guys...would be nice if any AHB member anywhere in Aus could walk into their local Plasdene and access some kind of bulk pricing discount, without having to spend $500 or more.

They may not let us out of the $120 min spend in a single transaction, but they're looking into some kind of discount of their small vol prices. Fingers crossed.

I'm up for ~100 640ml amber bottles
4x 25l HDPE cubes

Great bottles. Pretty sure the same as what mountain goat uses for their rare breeds.

zeggie said:
I'm up for ~100 640ml amber bottles
4x 25l HDPE cubes

Great bottles. Pretty sure the same as what mountain goat uses for their rare breeds.
Mate you're pretty much at their minimum spend without the rest of us! But if you can hold off a bit, lemme see if we can get some kind of AHB price break.

carniebrew said:
I opened up some comms with Plasdene today, seeing if I can maybe get something bigger and longer term going with these guys...would be nice if any AHB member anywhere in Aus could walk into their local Plasdene and access some kind of bulk pricing discount, without having to spend $500 or more.

They may not let us out of the $120 min spend in a single transaction, but they're looking into some kind of discount of their small vol prices. Fingers crossed.
That would be great. I'm looking to grab a few things (a dozen 250ml sauce bottles and a few dozen 500ml beer bottles) in the not too distant future. If this were a possibility, I'd be all over it. Alas, I am in Sydney. So unless anyone here is looking for a group buy too, I will need to look elsewhere.

Latest posts

Back