Grolsh style bottles - flat beer in fridge.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattdean4130

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So i've been experiencing something weird with a stout i brewed and used some grolsh style bottles.

If i leave them in the fridge for a couple days, the beer opens flat!
I cracked one straight out of the cupboard the other day and it had a great pop and carbonation.

I'm 100% sure i didn't miss carbing any.

Has anybody experienced this with these bottles? I've never used them before. They're not Grolsh brand, just those clean skin home brew type ones you can buy (i was given them new, so i don't know where from etc)

I was thinking maybe something to do with the rubber contracting due to the change in temperature?
Thanks guys!

Probably more so from the fact that more of the CO2 is dissolved in solution at the colder temps and is being released a lot slower i.e. a larger amount of CO2 is concentrated in the headspace of the warm bottle and what is in solution is rapidly releasing once the seal is broken. I'm guessing this would be why your getting the pop on the warm ones and the cold ones seem flat.

Forgot to say. To check this you could put one in the fridge for a few days then take it out and let it warm back up, then open.

meathead said:
I've had it happen
Got rid of all mine and cap traditionally now
Great! I'm glad it's not just something that's happening to me!

Yeah i only use them as a last resort, when i'm low on bottles :)

never had any problems like that with my grolsch bottles
could be crappy seals coming with the bottles
perhaps they're shrinking slightly when cold?

sp0rk said:
never had any problems like that with my grolsch bottles
could be crappy seals coming with the bottles
perhaps they're shrinking slightly when cold?
Yeah that's what i was thinking too.
I do have a pack of new seals i bought for some real grolsch bottles, i might throw them on them if i use 'em again!

Latest posts

Back