Greetings from Brazil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabrizio

Reaction score
Hello all,
Here in Brazil the "brew culture" is not widespread, so i need to rely on foreign forums and knowledge for my own development. I brew for 4 years but still learning every brew day.
I brew AG and due to my tight space (apartment), mostly Mini-mashes (5-7 Liters).
I participate "Home Brew Talk" and a few forums in Brazil.
My goal in this forum is first of all make new friends, and research, learn new skills and techniques.

Best Regards from a friend on the other side of the world.
Fabrizio

(sorry about any mistakes in my english)

Olá, tudo bem?

Your English is excellent.

You need to get your volume up somehow!

Tell us about Brazilian beer.

Hey chug!chug!, thanks for your reply!
The Brazilian market is owned by the evil giant INBEV (Ambev+Interbrew+Anheuser-Bush), that sells several brands of "crappy corn tea" that they call beer. Only a few good breweries are active like Colorado, Baden-Baden, Eisenbah, Bamberg, and another micro-breweries.
The situation here is so bad that I live in the biggest city in Brazil (São Paulo) and there`s only 1 brewpub (!!!!!!!!).
That`s why we homebrewers have to rely on foreign experience.
I have 2 50L keggles to brew, but as i live in an apartment I just cannot use it as I would like.... So every weekend I make BIAB mini-mashes in my stove.
BUT im planning on make one Braumeister clone (Like Braumiser) with one keggle. This would make a huge upgrade in my volumes!
(I reached this forum searching for plans and boards like Birraduino/Brauduino).
Best Regards!

Gday Fabrizio, How do you go getting supplies in Sao Paulo? If homebrewing isn't so large, are there homebrew stores?

I've been to your city once, I remember being astonished at the size of the place as I flew in and out.

Cheers

Yob,
We have only 4 suppliers.
In Brasil there's only one malt supplier (good) and one liquid yeast lab (great!), but not a single plantation.
We have imported malts (Weyerman, Castle, not always fresh) hops (not even fresh) and a few gear.
All good ingredients and top brewing gear comes from USA, Canada and Chile.
As our suppliers don't have great items, so we are used to make our own gear.
Thanks and best regards.

Ola Fabrizio and bem-vindo.

I have fond memories of a year spent in your fine country and city when I was younger and some quite nice beers too. It's been a while since I had it but Antarctica was my favorite at the time. It seems like you are doing well adapting ingredients and equipment to your needs (a fine Brazilian trait from memory) performing AG brewing at home. You sound like a positive pioneer at jerry-rigged home brewing!

I hope you find all you are looking for on this site and have a good time doing so.

Hi Fabrizio, I went to Sao Paulo for [member='ballantynebrew']'s wedding a few years ago. Crazy crazy place. We went up to Campos* for a day and had some Baden Baden beers, they are great. Their red ale was particularly memorable.

* that place is a spin out, it was like being in Germany, I wonder how many old Nazis are hiding there.

oi fabrizio

great to see some brasileros into the brewing scene

im heading back to sao paulo next year - got any recommendations for craft beer bars?

Saude!

Luke

Hey Fabrizio, welcome!

I spent a day in Macau a few weeks ago, and was amazed at the Portuguese architecture and how beautiful it was, and I see that your city is much the same. After seeing 2 Heritage listed buildings in Brisbane destroyed in 2 weeks - I really value the retention of old architecture.

On to brewing stuff. The thing I could (Hopefully) offer - since you are struggling to get proper equipment due to the lack of homebrew industry - is that this forum has a number of techniques pioneered to allow full scale AG brewing in either limited space or limited, cheap or non-purpose made equipment.

I hope this ingenuity from a number of brewers (Brew in a Bag - Urn, Brew in a Bag on the stovetop, 2 Pot Stovetop method with ghetto lauter, etc) can be adapted to your circumstances and what's available in Brazil.

Do lots of research, have a look at everything available (and the photos and videos therein) and you might find you can increase your brewing capacity.

Cheers,

Goomba

Folks,
Sorry if i took so much time to reply. Thank you all for the kind welcome.
If anybody come to Brazil please send me a message so we can reach out and drink some beers.

ballantynebrew said:
oi fabrizio

great to see some brasileros into the brewing scene

im heading back to sao paulo next year - got any recommendations for craft beer bars?

Saude!

Luke
Ballantynebrew - Thanks for your compliment. Don`t forget to PM me for a "Bar Tour".
I reccomend "Cervejaria Nacional" (the only brewpub in Sao Paulo) and a few bars like "Frangó", "Asterix", "Vienna" and "Bar do Magrão".
As for the beers, there`s 2cabeças brewery that i love "Hi 5 Black Ipa" and "X Session Ipa", they also made the "Saison a trios" in partnership with Invicta brewery. Invicta also have the "velhas virgens" series with the "Whitie Beer" and "Indie Rockin Beer". I like Colorado, Bodebrown and Bamberg breweries.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Hey Fabrizio, welcome!

I spent a day in Macau a few weeks ago, and was amazed at the Portuguese architecture and how beautiful it was, and I see that your city is much the same. After seeing 2 Heritage listed buildings in Brisbane destroyed in 2 weeks - I really value the retention of old architecture.

On to brewing stuff. The thing I could (Hopefully) offer - since you are struggling to get proper equipment due to the lack of homebrew industry - is that this forum has a number of techniques pioneered to allow full scale AG brewing in either limited space or limited, cheap or non-purpose made equipment.

I hope this ingenuity from a number of brewers (Brew in a Bag - Urn, Brew in a Bag on the stovetop, 2 Pot Stovetop method with ghetto lauter, etc) can be adapted to your circumstances and what's available in Brazil.

Do lots of research, have a look at everything available (and the photos and videos therein) and you might find you can increase your brewing capacity.

Cheers,

Goomba
Lord Goomba,
The support, opinion ande experiences of the forum members contributes with a a valuable source of knowledge.
We have our own groups (acervapaulista and homebrewtalkbrasil) that contributes for the development of home brewing.
Our people is very creative in finding solutions and methods most because of the high taxes applied to imported products, but as popular saying "We are brasilians and we never give up". hehehehe.

Liam_snorkel said:
Hi Fabrizio, I went to Sao Paulo for [member='ballantynebrew']'s wedding a few years ago. Crazy crazy place. We went up to Campos* for a day and had some Baden Baden beers, they are great. Their red ale was particularly memorable.

* that place is a spin out, it was like being in Germany, I wonder how many old Nazis are hiding there.
Liam
Baden Baden is one of the small breweries that delivers good beers to our market.
And your comment about Campos is really hilarious.

menoetes said:
Ola Fabrizio and bem-vindo.

I have fond memories of a year spent in your fine country and city when I was younger and some quite nice beers too. It's been a while since I had it but Antarctica was my favorite at the time. It seems like you are doing well adapting ingredients and equipment to your needs (a fine Brazilian trait from memory) performing AG brewing at home. You sound like a positive pioneer at jerry-rigged home brewing!

I hope you find all you are looking for on this site and have a good time doing so.
Menoetes
Thanks for your compliments. Brazil is a really nice place to live inspire our lack of suppliers.
Our people need to be much creative to adapt the conditions. We have a few groups of people dedicated to craft brewing.

Thanks again and sorry about any mistakes in my english.
(still laughing about Lian comment on Campos!)

Latest posts

Back