Grassy Hop

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazz20

Reaction score
Hey all, just wondering what hop would give a nice 'grassy' type flavour/aroma? Something along the lines of the sundowner ale, if that's what it's called, but with a bit more power.
Cheers,

Hazz

If your thinking of the james squire sundowner its a larger not an ale.
Dont know about what hops may be amarillo????

Another vote fro Fuggles. Dry hop with this stuff and you'll have some lovely grassy flavours going.

Awesome, fuggles it is, shall be on the menu very soon.
Thanks all,

Hazz

I've dry hopped with old cascade. Very grassy, like eating lawn clippings. Didn't like it at all.

from http://www.chrisshanahan.com/articles/2008...ial-london-ale/

James Squire Sundown Lager 345ml $3.20

This one-off, limited-production brew combines pale and carapils malts and a mix of Galaxy, Summer Saaz and East Kent Goldings hops. A lovely, rich maltiness underpins the flavour. But a modest 4.4 per cent alcohol and delicious, herbal, grassy hops counter the maltiness, giving it a refreshing, brisk lightness.

Don Burke beat me to it, but definately no Fuggles in a Sundowner. Fuggles more commonly used in English style stouts, Bitters and Ales. Put too much Fuggles in a beer and it will taste like the underside of a lawnmower. Done it a few times!

Dons' post mentions that Sundowner uses Goldings - that would be for bittering, and the Sundowner doesn't have a huge bitter taste, so they have only used a small amount in my opinion. You could get away with using Galaxy and Saaz solely I reckon if you didn't want to invest too heavily on hop satchels and skip the goldings, but up to you. Haven't seen much Galaxy hop about in local Homebrew stores. You'd have to go through one of the sponsors to get some I'd reckon. Heard the big breweries have been buying this hop up by the truckload to experiment with.

Hopper.

I have some prematurely dried home grown Columbus and Hersbruker if you want to pay for postage. Very low alpha and very grassy, I am trying to dry them very well to drive the grassiness off. You can also have some old cascade if you wish.

I think we are all waiting on the new crop to get our hands on any amount of Galaxy.

+1 on the Fuggles, I really like the herbaceous taste.

Another vote for Fuggles. Got a kits-n-bits recipe in the database called 'Fuggly Ale'. Its all Fuggles :D

Rock the Fuggles - boingk

Latest posts

Back