• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Graphic Designers - I Need A Logo

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BjornJ, I would have thought Red Duck being in the same market might be a bigger concern but I'm sure he's aware of them and it doesn't bother him so I doubt another Black Duck in NZ is even worth thinking about.

with amendments and a slight variation showing the BDB text in the background

Black_Duck_Proper_Bitter.png

Black_Duck_Proper_Bitter_BDB.png

We met several graphic designers in our area, looking to support a local business.
We sat and had a good chat about what we thought we wanted with the designer of our choice.
The first efforts that came back aren't really us or our beer and we will be talking to her again.

I am happy to give a brief, what do you want to know?
We are a very small brewery just out of a regional coastal twon. We make one beer in an english bitter style. We will make differnt beers later this year. We will bottle some up later this year.
We would like a plainish label and a logo that is both simple but stylish.
We engaged a graphic designer for this very reason, if we new exactly what we wanted I wouldn't be doing this.

This might (sorry will) sound pretty wanky, but the kind of brief we give (and I like to get working in my field) goes into a bit more detail... you can't go into enough detail, really.

Sorry if you've already done all this, but personally I want more brilliant craft beer available and if it helps that happen, great. If i'm teaching you how to suck eggs, then I apologise in advance :)

Questions to ask yourself when you're thinking of a brief:

Who are your intended customers - target market?

Not just beer drinkers, are they tourists/locals/both?

What age group are they, etc.

How much do they spend?

Do you want your product to look untouchably expensive, cheap, crazy, cool, classy, classic, cutting edge, etc.?

What logos do you like, and more importantly what element is it that you like and does that fit with the concept of your brewery?

Why is it called black duck - is there a story to tell? (btw make sure you get any of the writing on the bottle copyread and proofread by someone you know will get it right.)

What other brands and logos does your target market like and what do they look like? (think around the subject, not necessarily just beer).

If you can't get definitive answers to this, then try and figure it out.

Get the proofs from the designer and send them around a select group of people who are in your target market to critique - not a bunch of reprobate half-pissed homebrewers :lol:

Stick some examples on bottles and put them next to competitors' bottles... now will someone take it seriously?

And enjoy.

The design is a really ******* important part of a business like this, but once you've got a logo sorted and got it trademarked you'll feel like the ducks doo-dahs ;) - it's finally friggin' happening!!!

BjornJ, I would have thought Red Duck being in the same market might be a bigger concern but I'm sure he's aware of them and it doesn't bother him so I doubt another Black Duck in NZ is even worth thinking about.

assume they have secured the trade name for NSW (and Queensland.) No one gives a black duck about NZ copyright.

Quick Suggestion for a name Change. Dead Duck?

Here's another suggestion hoping for some free beer :rolleyes:

It's ...eh.. simplistic? I mean stylish and minimalistic. A duck on a plain background, woohoo!

Black_duck_background_resize.jpg

thanks
Bjorn

I was playing with this when i was trying to find my own label and 'brewery' name - this was just a first quick sketch so the design elements aren't all there. But it's the wrong bloody colour and the wrong bloody bird.

moody_goose1.jpg

schooey,

If ever I start a brewery, youre the man! Nice work.

Cheers
Andrew.

Hi all,
We have recently been granted all our approvals and are trading as the Black Duck Brewery. We have engaged a graphic designer who has missed the beer concept completely and we need help.
I have seen the work some of you guys have done for your own labels and hope we can harness the AHB talent.
The carrot will be a 50L keg of our 'Proper Bitter' for you to enjoy at your leisure if we choose your logo.
If you are local enough, I will come and serve it personally at your do.

Local can be anywhere though. We are at Herons Creek, just south of Port Macquarie, but we travel from Melbourne to Goondowindi. Sorry guys over in the west, but I can organise some postage.

We need a logo that represents us and will be on our labels and our marketing, so you get pretty good cudos.

Check out our website www.blackduckbrewery.com.au and you can see a bit about us.

I hope you will all get on board and help us out.

Cheers

I really liked your logo , saw it recently and is original and different , I my opinion I would not change

Pumpy :)

Actually that could be a problem ... Bootleg brewery used to do a beer with Epic in the title, until a certain Kiwi brewery had a word.

Sure it wont be a problem, there is also an Epic brewing in Utah as well as in NZ

A few ideas... I guess you can take any of the designs you like back to your Graphic designer to develop a little more...
BDB.jpg
BDB2.jpg
BDB3.jpg

Nice work, Bill8o.

A few ideas... I guess you can take any of the designs you like back to your Graphic designer to develop a little more...
View attachment 40672
View attachment 40673
View attachment 40674

Nice, this is why many creative minds working on something is better than breifing one or a team of designers who work in the same place.

Flame suit on..........if i was a desginer or creative I would be working on an alternative business model.......

Back