Grains In Tassie

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TasChris

Lurking
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Just rang Brew By You, where I normally get my bulk grains from, and was told by them that they close in the next month and they have very little stock left on hand. If I lived in Hobart I would clean them out.
Does anybody have any other ideas of where to source grains from?
Freight from the mainland to Smithton would be very prohibitive I reckon. Wonder if any of the micros or mega breweries would sell grain.

Cheers
Chris

Hi Guys,
Just rang Brew By You, where I normally get my bulk grains from, and was told by them that they close in the next month and they have very little stock left on hand. If I lived in Hobart I would clean them out.
Does anybody have any other ideas of where to source grains from?
Freight from the mainland to Smithton would be very prohibitive I reckon. Wonder if any of the micros or mega breweries would sell grain.

Cheers
Chris

THBS have an alright selection of grains, and can get sacks in, and best of all for you, they will send freight on redline.

http://thbs.intas.net/

any wonder brew by you are closing down, they are shocking there. every time i have been in there to ask them brewing related they just sort of cock their head sideways and have no idea what im going on about.

that and at least 2 people i know (one a mate of mine whos beer i tried, the other a mate of his i dont know) have had infected brews that they have brewed on premises there. there is no excuse for that.

if that doesnt work out for you, then get in touch with craftbrewer, their freight is very reasonable.

you're an all grain brewer im assuming if youre after bulk grains? good to hear of more AG brewers in tassie. im living in burnie now, and slowly getting all my gear together for AG + kegging. just moved up from hobart, so im just stuck at extract level still :(

Good to hear another brewer up in the North West.
Last time I went into Thbs I got the distict impression that they were mainly catering to K+K, but just rang them and put an order in with them. Don't think they are used to big orders of grain!!

Cheers
Chris

nah, theyre not really, but they can get it for you.

talked to Amanda a little while back and she said that they hardly ever sell any large grain sacks any more, just not much of a demand for it in tassie. they have an alright selection of grains in 500g bags though, but thats no good for AG.

how much did you order from them?

4 X 25kg bags.
Wonder if it would be bad form to contact a micro like Moorilla and see if they sell by the bag?

I'm about to start requiring bulk grain, as my mill is on the way from Mashmaster. :D

I went out to BrewByYou a week ago, as I wanted to get 10Kilos of grain for brewing last weekend - was told that they don't crush for you unless they know you - great customer service!

I guess I'll have to either get bags of grain from THBS or via Craftbrewer once the mill arrives.

Thats good to hear, the more people that chase it then hopefully the cheaper it will get and the bigger range we will be able to access.
I have found Craftbrewer to be excellent but freight of large quantities becomes prohibitive, perhaps a Tas bulk buy might have to be the go.

Cheers
Chris

I guess I'll have to either get bags of grain from THBS or via Craftbrewer once the mill arrives.

Sounds like we should all get together for a Bulk Buy. I'm sure we could get a mixed pallet of base grains freighted for a reasonable price. What say you Scotty?

How many Tassie brewers are there on this list?

Cheers,
Petr
(in Hobart)

im not sure they would sell you grain, but at the very least they could tell you where they source it from

Sounds like we should all get together for a Bulk Buy. I'm sure we could get a mixed pallet of base grains freighted for a reasonable price. What say you Scotty?

How many Tassie brewers are there on this list?

Cheers,
Petr
(in Hobart)

Just reading some of the old posts on bulk buys and it looks like there is some benchmarks of volume that need reaching before things can happen think above 500kg from Cryer.

Chris

Hey guys,

Try this LINK to the Craftbrewer bulk buy page. Good if you can get the people together for the BB.

Cheers

Just reading some of the old posts on bulk buys and it looks like there is some benchmarks of volume that need reaching before things can happen think above 500kg from Cryer.

Chris

If we could get 10 brewers thats only 50kg of base malt each.

Petr

im not sure they would sell you grain, but at the very least they could tell you where they source it from

I was thinking more along the lines of ordering from suppliers for the micro industry.

Petr

Looking at the Craftbrewer link 20 bags is the starting point for a bulk buy.
I would certainly be intereseted in a few bags

This might sound a bit tongue-in-cheek, but it is not meant to.

If you could find someone who was travelling on the ferry from mainland to Tassie in the course of the rest of their life (and had the right vehicle, etc, etc), a bulk buy might become quite cheap.

This might sound a bit tongue-in-cheek, but it is not meant to.

If you could find someone who was travelling on the ferry from mainland to Tassie in the course of the rest of their life (and had the right vehicle, etc, etc), a bulk buy might become quite cheap.

Hi Spills,
You coming down for a sea-change or tree-change?? :p

I'd be interested in a bag or 2 if there was a bulk buy going.

man, wish i could go in with you guys, but a bag of grains would go off before i got through it.

hey, petr! hope the brewing is going well.
joe

Hi Spills,
You coming down for a sea-change or tree-change?? :p

Still working on SWMBO on such a concept. Let's face it - Tasmania needs more (home) breweries... :D

to get a pallet or 1/2 pallet from Melb is quite cheap, I sent a pallet 700mm high to Sydney for $250 just before xmas, using Tasfreight. From memory, a few years ago, Melb is about $170 and on top of $800-1200 worth of grain (Ross's prices) that's not too bad.

I can ask, a reliable source, where Lark distillery get their grain from, for the whiskey mash, Larks might consider selling a few bags.

Back