Grains In Tassie

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like we should all get together for a Bulk Buy. I'm sure we could get a mixed pallet of base grains freighted for a reasonable price. What say you Scotty?

How many Tassie brewers are there on this list?

Cheers,
Petr
(in Hobart)

Hi Mate

Sorry just got my head buried in consult work. We keep a small kilned malt run and I think the freight would kill you. I know some had to go to Cascade once and it was over $800 a ton from Melbourne.

Almost worth getting on the Spirit of Tassie for that, I'll wave as you go buy (goes close to the coast at the Gong)

Scotty

to get a pallet or 1/2 pallet from Melb is quite cheap, I sent a pallet 700mm high to Sydney for $250 just before xmas, using Tasfreight. From memory, a few years ago, Melb is about $170 and on top of $800-1200 worth of grain (Ross's prices) that's not too bad.

I can ask, a reliable source, where Lark distillery get their grain from, for the whiskey mash, Larks might consider selling a few bags.

Starting to sound like a reasonable proposition Glenos, now all we need are a few more Tassie brewers to divide up the costs.

I can tell you from a reliable source that Lark's get their malt from the Cascade Brewery in 50kg bags, or atleast they were 8 months ago when I was still working for them. It was pretty cheap at around $40 per 50kg bag but they were ordering it 1800kg lots.

While Lark's is a reasonable option its pretty limiting as they only get pale malt. (ie no Vienna, Munich, Wheat etc..) I reckon we would be better off with another source, I will ring a few others around.

Once I have a price I might start a bulk buy thread, the only other thing that would be required is somewhere to offload a pallet (forklift). Any suggestions?

Cheers
Petr

Still working on SWMBO on such a concept. Let's face it - Tasmania needs more (home) breweries... :D

Yeah, a few more certainly wouldn't go astray. Might even be able to get a club going if there are enough of us.

man, wish i could go in with you guys, but a bag of grains would go off before i got through it.

hey, petr! hope the brewing is going well.
joe

C'mon Joe,

I already had you in for a couple of bags, I thought your grain brewery was up and running already??

And wheres Daz I was sure he would take atleast half a dozen bags!!

Hope the family is well mate,
Petr

heh, my brew-in-a-bag part mash brewery is up and running. just ask ross when im doing a brew, i usually put in an order i week or two prior and get my extract local. works for me anyway. and keeps me from having to buy a grain mill ;)

family is very well. little one keeps us on our toes and run off our feet as you would know.
joe

i might be keen, but not for a bit yet, still trying to find a job again, so money is pretty hard atm. dont even have an AG setup at all yet.

had 2 interviews friday so fingers crossed something works out, then i'll get the AG and keg setups going :D

Back