Grains And Beer Colour

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birusuki

Reaction score
Got a few brews under my belt now and have been using some grain to
improve the head, give body etc.

Now the thing is my shop (online and no english) sells lots of grains
mostly basemalts I keep away from those. But I have been using
caramel malt ECB 55-85. they have three levels going up to ECB 130-170.
Makes sense that the ECB 55-85 would be the mildest. I have no problem
with my beer as such, great taste (to me anyway) and pretty good head,
while it doesnt stay thick and creamy, it doesnt dissapear either. So I`m Happy.
But the colour of my beer does go a rich red colour. Once again no problem for me.
But when I give some away to my father in law friends or students. They come back and say
how much they really like black beer, or itsjust like guiness. And this shits me to no end
as its nothing of the like. AAAAAAAAAArrrrgh. Its just a nice rich red ale. couldnt be better.

But I like sharing my beer, and giving it to friends etc.

Sorry for the dribble after all that my question is,
Is there a spec. grain I should look into that will give me good head retention and body
without too much colour??

Thanks.

You probably want a lighter caramal grain. Have a look at Weyermann's Carapils ( http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=799 ) or a type of caramal malt: ( http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=788 )

The lower the EBC the lighter the color and less it will darken the beer.

+1 lots of kit and grain brewers use the above to improve their beers, I really like Crystal , it really helps with the malty flavour we all love.

The colour of these should help but I don't think it will make a huge difference because of the quantities. I would do a mini mash with a kilo or so of light Munich to do that, it also gives a nice malt profile to you beers.

good luck, happy brewing :beerbang:

Try some Carafa Special. It comes in 3 grades.
As it is a dehusked roasted malt, it will add colour, but very little roastiness, unlike other dark malts.
100 gr of Carafa Special II in a 23 litre batch will add about 24 EBC to the colour.

Latest posts

Back