Grain Scales

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UsernameTaken

Reaction score
I am about to start bulk buying and home crushing my grain and was wondering what people use for scales to weigh up?

Are regular bathroom scales ok or is there a better solution?

Cheers,
UNT

I just use our kitchen scales mate.......I usually need to take a couple of scoops to get the total, but providing I keep a tally it works fine for me. Easy and no additional cost.

See you, Anthony

AJS2154 said:
I just use our kitchen scales mate.......I usually need to take a couple of scoops to get the total, but providing I keep a tally it works fine for me. Easy and no additional cost.

See you, Anthony
This is pretty much what I do - I weigh it out in 1kg units and add it all to the same bucket, then crush into another bucket.

I am looking for an excuse to write something worthwhile, and related to this post, and then justify signing off with "see you, UNT", but I can't think of anything at the moment. This will have to do..... the urge for some 14 year old humour is too great.

Cheers, UNT. Anthony

Funny user name. :D

Made a 7% beer for my first all grain lost count of the kgs using the misus scales
if only I HAD DOUBLED THE HOPS

Same as Timmi above but dont do the drugs anymore

Once brewed a cerveza style.. planned og of 1045. Actual og 1075.
Thats when i decided using small scales and keeping count isnt best practice.
Btw it ended up a fine drop. Named it El Loco

timmi9191 said:
Once brewed a cerveza style.. planned og of 1045. Actual og 1075.
Thats when i decided using small scales and keeping count isnt best practice.
Btw it ended up a fine drop. Named it El Loco
You don't need to keep count ......we have this new product out now. It is really white, very thin and you can write on it. Some people just weigh things out, then write down how much that scoop weighed, then add them up until you get the right weight. B) No keeping count needed with that innovative system. Although you won't get the El Loco beer using that method.

AJS2154 said:
You don't need to keep count ......we have this new product out now. It is really white, very thin and you can write on it. Some people just weigh things out, then write down how much that scoop weighed, then add them up until you get the right weight. B) No keeping count needed with that innovative system. Although you won't get the El Loco beer using that method.
That sounds amazing! Now, if I could only write...

AJS2154 said:
Fool proof but dont forget to write it down

+ 1 for bigger scales for grain too easy then but you must tare the bucket & in between grain types unless you want to add them up
which could be as bad as the small scale method

I weigh out 1kg bowls then pour them into the mill each time, grind and repeat. It's a nice little rest each time from the hand mill. Easy to lose track though, so I do the tally on white board method, and even lose count with that. Next step is to have the young bloke sitting there counting for me with his fingers, prob more accurate than me.

My scales are small cheapy fleabay but accurate up to around 10kg, I use them for hops too. If I were doing larger batches I'd get larger scales. Dunno if I'd trust bathroom scales enough for a consistent reading, better to get something about the $50 price point for big batches all at once.

The added benefit of those scales is you can measure out your water additions quite accurately as well.

I've been tempted to get one of these myself to calibrate my sight glasses on my 3v system, and then use them for grain moving forward.

I too have forgotten on several occasions just what scoop I'm up to. Wasn't even drinking.

Back