Grain or water first? Does it matter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always had my strike water at 8*c higher than my mash temp ( 64-69*c ) and hit mash temp nearly everytime.

If it is out, which isnt oftne, then it is easy to correct quickly with hot or cold water

There was a guy in SA ( I think ) who eventually got his after the police did a psyc profile on him to see if he was a bit un hinged

Undrletting works, pouring grain onto at temp liquor works (done slowly), smashing doh balls with a rake works, dusting off and nuking them from orbit works...

You have advantages depending on the system..

Being time poor, I'm mashing in with cold water, setting timers and going to sleep... Works

If you are an adding grain to water type of fellow (or gal, or genetic middle ground), as I am.

Some time ago I purchased a rather large commercial whisk.

It is the schizzle for preventing dough balls as you pour in the grain.

So much better then a bent coopers spoon.

The only problem I see with a large SS commercial whisk is the lack of that satisying snap sound compared to a Coopers white plastic brew spoon when doughing in at a W:G ratio of 2:1.

Crikey didn't realise it was such a big thing, heard about the process just recently but didn't know what it was called to get info on, so a big thanks to all for their input. Cheers

Mr B said:
If you are an adding grain to water type of fellow (or gal, or genetic middle ground), as I am.

Some time ago I purchased a rather large commercial whisk.

It is the schizzle for preventing dough balls as you pour in the grain.

So much better then a bent coopers spoon.
Had to read that twice, the bracket placement could made it a different statement.

I have been underletting for about 15 years now. And, it would take a good talker to convince me to change.

Lindsay Dive said:
I have been underletting for about 15 years now. And, it would take a good talker to convince me to change.
Hello Lindsay Dive,

have not heard from you since the old Craftbrewer email forum.

gap said:
Hello Lindsay Dive,

have not heard from you since the old Craftbrewer email forum.
Yeah, I don't frequent here as often as I should. Still brewing though. :)

Back