Grain Mills

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow guys, these margas must have changed since I bought mine!

All I had to do was prise the cap off the adjuster knob with a thin flat screw driver (took about 1 minute), undo the bolt on the shaft, remove the spring, slide off the adjuster knob and drill 1 hole then put it all back together :blink: . These mods took me a whole of 5-10 minutes.

I certainly would NOT be banging the shaft and I really don't think the shaft should be removed at all.

But like I said, maybe they have changed since I bought mine.

Hope it all comes together for you all.

Cheers
Andrew

Same for me, but I didn't even take the knob off after removing the cap, I just slid a piece of ply between the knob and the mill and drilled through till I hit the ply.

Use a cheap 1cm spade bit in the drill and away you go..

nifty

Yeah they have changed a bit Andrew.

They dont have a nut & spring holding the adjuster to the shaft like yours.
These ones have a plastic spring clip that holds it on as well as doing the springs work, it stays on via a groove in the shaft similar to a external circlip setup.

I managed to pop the cap off mine without too much trouble although was more trouble than I had anticipated. I had trouble getting my tiny bladed driver between the cap & the knob so had to drive a pick tool between then to flare it open enough. after that prying arount the cap popped it off.

I just copied your pic for the additional hole, it seemed ok for the 150g of carapils i ran through it. I really have no idea when it comes to this new fangled ag stuff though.

guys..

definitely true... the marga is not the same... can easily see how Steve made a bit of a meal of his.. I was lucky, and levered off the adjuster with a screwdriver, and didn't damage the circlip too badly....

I agree tapping the spindle isn't a good idea... like it doesn't seem to work at all on my version..

however, playing around with my machines' adjusters, it looks to me like they might have changed the position of the lug that goes through the holes.. mine is at 3pm or due east..

in any case, the settings that seem to give me the widest opening between the upper 2 rollers, and a ?appropriate gap (around 0.5mm) down the bottom... have my hole needing to be drilled opposite to (roughly 180 degrees away from) the middle of the series of 4 holes..

so basically, drilling as per AndrewQLD's photos doesn't seem to cut the mustard with mine... it will give a crush between the upper 2 rollers, but the bottom gap is too big... (this is assuming that we are trying to get the upper rollers wide, and a crush against the lower roller)...

Warrens' setting picture seems to agree with my machine, but as I say, that seems to mean drilling opposite to the 4 holes on my version.. as opposed to AndrewQLD's where the hole was drilled next to the 4 holes...

I think the idea is to get the adjustment nuts to a mid position, then drill holes, then use the adjustment nuts to fine tune the crush gap... then put it back together... at least that's what I'll be doing..

good luck to other budding Margamen out there !!!

Organo

Add my two bob...

Yes I found AndrewQlds mods helpfully unhelpful. The new Marga must have a different settings as I dutifully drilled a hole as per instructions, and found it to be in the wrong spot!

Spent far too long undoing and changing positions and redoing before Warren and Screwtop put me on the right track.

Warren's instructions were better suited to my model.

I had trouble getting the cap off as well, took more than a little force to punch the cap off through the adjustment holes (but did so eventually).

Just crushed 4kg this afternoon, but my drill is a bit too fast. I ended up just squeezing the trigger on and off. Even doing this casued the bottom roller to get a bit warm.

As I haven't made a a grain chute yet, I taped cardboard sides up the factory one to make it hold about 10 times more grain. It wasn't until halfway through, and much continual 'tapping down' of the grain, did I realise I needed to enlarge the feeder hole down the botom. After this things went much more smoothly.

Was slow, but had cricket on the radio (the last session) so who cares!

I also got a very good crush.

BTW, Mine does have nut and spring. It arrived last week from Ross, but I'm not sure if it is an older model.

Yep Steve, we should have had a few beers and swore at them together, might have helped!
We'll have to get together for future mods!

Butchers!

Just use a soft metal drift and hammer on the opposite end of the shaft. Tap the shaft in and the whole shaft (axle) and knob comes out. Easy then to use something small and round in through the index adjustment holes to tap out the end cap.

Maxt has the latest Marga and has done his mod, I hope he reads this as he could add to the info.

Most important is setting the crush roller gap once you have drilled a couple of extra index adjustment holes and reassembled the mill. Use feeler guages, first set the feed roller gap (top rollers, visible looking down into the mill) to the widest opening you can using the adjusting knob. Then using feeler guages (your fav setting or use .045") put the feeler guages between the crush rollers (one top roller and the bottom roller, BE SURE TO SET THE CORRECT GAP, BETWEEN THE TOP ROLLER AND BOTTOM ROLLER WHEN TURNING THE MILL HANDLE CLOCKWISE). Rotate the offset bushes on each end of the shaft to set the gap, put the feeler guage in one end and adjust the bush on that end, then do the same for the other end so that the gap is parallel.

Hope this helps.

Add my two bob...

Yes I found AndrewQlds mods helpfully unhelpful. The new Marga must have a different settings as I dutifully drilled a hole as per instructions, and found it to be in the wrong spot!

Spent far too long undoing and changing positions and redoing before Warren and Screwtop put me on the right track.

Warren's instructions were better suited to my model.

In the interests of future marga mill purchasers and in order to save confusion I have removed the pics of my Marga modifications from my picture gallery. Given that the mill design is slightly different to my old one the pics are pretty useless for the new mills.

However, the difference only means drilling the whole in the adjuster in a different position and is not the end of the world as far as getting the right settings are concerned. The biggest problem seems to have been getting the unit apart which you guys seem to have worked out now.

Cheers
Andrew

In the interests of future marga mill purchasers and in order to save confusion I have removed the pics of my Marga modifications from my picture gallery. Given that the mill design is slightly different to my old one the pics are pretty useless for the new mills.

However, the difference only means drilling the whole in the adjuster in a different position and is not the end of the world as far as getting the right settings are concerned. The biggest problem seems to have been getting the unit apart which you guys seem to have worked out now.

Cheers
Andrew

Regardless of the fact that some models have changed, a picture is still worth a thousand words Andrew, and it was helpful to see your pics, especially the full set up with the grain chute/casing etc.

I ordered a mill from ross last night (actually my g/f did for my xmas present)

Is there any chance of some pictures / detailed notes about modifying the marga?

There seems to be so many versions / suggestions / methods

Cheers

Just got my mill today, thans Ross,
If someone could post some pics for the mods for the new margas that would be very helpfull. I'm starting to feel a little confused too...

hockadays

There's a pic that may help guys. Shot down to the garage and just snapped 'em. :D

I've marked the sweet spot on the dial. Ignore the other holes I drilled. Had the best intentions it's just that over time you find you "don't" need them.

Circled hole and dial positions shown give a fantastic crush. I get around 80% efficiency with Baird's malts. JW malts should get you around 84-85%

Warren -

DSC01559.JPG

Some further pictures. You "don't" need these mods. However I did them myself for varying reasons. Mainly because I got too heavy handed with the screwdriver bit driver. I wound up using spider couplers which are available from Jaycar Electronics for around $15. They allow for shaft irregularities to give smooth rotation.

:excl: Don't attempt these unless you're prepared to pull your Marga to bits and drill and cut a few things. You may not be able to put it back together correctly. Note: This does not include dial mods which are pretty easy once you get the cap off the dial. ;)

Also enclosed is a pic of my Corflute hopper. Easy mod that holds around 8kg of grain with no problems. All you need is a 1x1 metre sheet of Corflute and a length of ally angle bracket. (around $10). :)

Warren -

DSC01564.JPG

DSC01561.JPG

DSC01562.JPG

Thanks Warren,

So after I pry cap off with thin blade srewdriver I drill hole to fit lug when the no2 mark is in the 6 oclock position.

hockadays

That's the one. If you're worried about drilling I've heard about brewers who just tape the thing securely in this position. :beerbang:

Warren -

No I'm talking about the small numbers stamped on the outside of the wheel wheel. Just think of the 2 (stamped number on mill) facing due south or 6 on an analogue clock. This will make the number stamped 1 north east or around 2 on an analogue clock.

This is achieved turning the dial clockwise.

Warren -

No I'm talking about the small numbers stamped on the outside of the wheel wheel. Just think of the 2 (stamped number on mill) facing due south or 6 on an analogue clock. This will make the number stamped 1 north east or around 2 on an analogue clock.

This is achieved turning the dial clockwise.

Warren -

:lol: i think I might drill another hole. My number 2 is at 10.00 oclock :blink: - seemed to crush ok though :unsure:

In reality I reckon they'll work fine so long as the gap at the top rollers is wider than the gap at the bottom. In other words grain hits first two rollers and gets partial crack then passes through the third and gets a final crush.

Inspect your crush. If it looks like the husks are broken and the guts of the grain have fallen out you're fine. When I crush 10kg of grain I just look at the results. You should see around 10% flour. This is considered a pretty good crush. If there's any grains that get through the crush intact they should just fall apart to the touch.

Warren -

Guys..

a thanks for the photos from AndrewQLD and Warren...

my Marga is a bit different to either of theirs, but the pictures have been indispensible for my hamfisted modding...

just a warning about the cap and adjustment wheel for new buyers.. my new one is different to Warren's even though he had Sept 05 stamped on his, as does mine, there is a nylon circlip that replaces the spring and nut seen on his photos...

I think Warrens' technique of drilling a hole in the end cap is probably the safest way to get the thing off, to my way of thinking... I levered the adjustment cap off, which worked, but slightly damaged the circlip...

having said that, as Warren says, you could easily do without either the adjustment cap or circlip by taping (or even glueing) the spindle - which is easier on my model than Warrens, because the spindle has a flat on it... it is D shaped in cross section instead of a threaded circle...

the ideal crush position seems to be about the same on mine...

so yes, to my way of thinking, the simplest way to do it with my version would be... lever off the adjustment cap, throw it away, and tape a nail or something straight against the straight section of the spindle to the right position to help keep it in place, (then maybe use adjusters to get rollers parallel and gapped... possibly could do without this step)

so yeah.. it would definitely be possible to effectively mod my new Marga in less than 5 minutes with very simple tools (screwdriver), a nail and a roll of tape... (feeler gauge a desirable tool as well) - however, others may have higher standards with their workshops...

hope this helps any new buyer..

Organo...

Thanks Warren for that....thats exactly what I was getting after the grain had gone through the mill :beer: phewww
Cheers
Steve

Latest posts

Back