Grain Mill Setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbuoy

Reaction score
Just tried my new monster mill this morning. 2 roller version. Jeez this thing is a weapon!

I have set the gap at 045 thou as suggested in the instructions. The crush seems a little coarse compared to what I am used to. I used to buy my grain off craftbrewer pre cracked. Its mashing atm so I'll see if it affects the efficency. Looks like it will sparge nicely though.

What do you set you mill gap at?

My electric drill is a bit of a struggle. I had trouble getting it to turn slow enough. It chewed through 4.5kg in no time.

What do you turn your mill with and how fast??

Cheers

Not sure what craftbrewer set theirs too but i think usually its .9mm for fine and 1.5mm for coarse i think is about .035 and .060 seems you are right in the middle of em and might even find a second pass through might crush it a little finer again as well
Of course that depends on how well your mill grabs the grain and pulls it all through

Im currently building my own 2 roller (or maybe 3 havnt decided) at work .. and i can start to see why they cost so much apart from material it takes a fair while to knurl up 150mm of 50mm dia shaft. I cant wait till i can get some decent time on the lathe again to finish it off..

Tom

Just tried my new monster mill this morning. 2 roller version. Jeez this thing is a weapon!

I have set the gap at 045 thou as suggested in the instructions. The crush seems a little coarse compared to what I am used to. I used to buy my grain off craftbrewer pre cracked. Its mashing atm so I'll see if it affects the efficency. Looks like it will sparge nicely though.

What do you set you mill gap at?

My electric drill is a bit of a struggle. I had trouble getting it to turn slow enough. It chewed through 4.5kg in no time.

What do you turn your mill with and how fast??

Cheers

Yep loving my mm2 everytime I use it. I'm running a 18v cordless with the gearbox set to low (350rpm no load speed) Does the job A1..

QldKev

Not sure what craftbrewer set theirs too but i think usually its .9mm for fine and 1.5mm for coarse i think is about .035 and .060 seems you are right in the middle of em and might even find a second pass through might crush it a little finer again as well
Of course that depends on how well your mill grabs the grain and pulls it all through

Im currently building my own 2 roller (or maybe 3 havnt decided) at work .. and i can start to see why they cost so much apart from material it takes a fair while to knurl up 150mm of 50mm dia shaft. I cant wait till i can get some decent time on the lathe again to finish it off..

Tom

seen a setup last weekend with a vrankenstien 2 roller which is very similar to the monster running off a widerscreen wiper motor quite nicely using a small toothed belt to drive it , i may set my monster up this way too till i find a better option

2 brews later and I'm happy with the results. Efficency is around 80% and sparging well. Think I'm in love with my new Monster Mill. Thanks to Paulwolf350 for organising them.

Barramundi, Any chance of a picture of that wiper motor setup? Sounds like something I could do cheaper then buying a new drill with low gear.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back